SASS Wire Forum

A short story for those that remember Winchester 452AA powder, and still use it.

"Big Boston"

My dwindling stock of Trail Boss powder necessitated dipping into my stash of 452AA. I suppose just about any powder on hand can be considered the new Trail Boss given the present supply and production issues. 

My post got a bit wordy, fairly common when I get going, so instead of having a really long post I've attached the document. 

Warning, a FYI, more of a musing on my part than a document of substance.

452AA.pdf 

Document was updated with 3.0 grain data. 

452AA Rev a.pdf

Went thru many lbs before became unavailable.  Then found an 8 lb on dealers shelf, swooped it up like a football player and made an end run to the checkout.  But that is gone also.    Was a great powder for my 45 ACP        GW

Addendum: I was curious as to if the powder charge could be lowered even more. I loaded up some ammo with 3 grains of powder, keeping the rest of the recipe the same.

Calibre

357 Magnum

Date Loaded

2022-04-10

Powder

452AA (Ontario Keg)

Weight in Grains

3.0 (Dillon)

Bullet

148-358-WC LEE (.358)

Weight in Grains

148 - 150

Primer

WW SP 

Loaded OAL

Case

FEDERAL 357 MAGNUM

Weight in Grains

Times Loaded

Number loaded

Rifle

SASS 13

Barrel clean/fouled

Velocity Av

743.5/748

Es

28.5/25.5

Sd

10.29/10.48

Shots

5>/5<

Ah what a great powder  452AA is...I still have some & use mainly in my Trap loads but it is great in the pistol..funnily enough I always used flake powder & yes ball powder can drop a 'little' bit more on the loading table but performance is worth it..I actually came across a big unopened tin of 442AA ...contacted Winchester & the guy  said no such powder & must have been an Australian brew..we did have a Winchester facility turning out all sorts of products but sadly is no more.

Nobel 78 & 80 were also a great powder .

Archived