SASS Wire Forum

Wranglers and Ammo.. who woulda thunk it...

Willie Miss 45

• Willie Miss 45 changed the title to Wranglers and Ammo.. who woulda thunk it...

Think your going to need more ammo      Enjoy       GW

Did you change out the springs? The ones I got were stiff as heck! I had a buddy of mine change them to a little lighter spring.

They're fun little guns!!B)

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Did you change out the springs? The ones I got were stiff as heck! I had a buddy of mine change them to a little lighter spring.

I put 19# hammer springs in both of mine - great improvement!  Also, whilst the spring is off the strut, polish the top of the strut to make sure it's smooth and free of burrs. Check the slot the strut rides in too. When it's back together, a drop of light oil on the strut and into the innards will help cocking the hammer. Then just shooting will smooth it out even more.

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I just got them. Gave them a good cleaning last which helped some. I do agree they will need different springs.

7 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I have a pair, also

Imis

How are they working out?

Just now, Willie Miss 45 said:

I just got them. Gave them a good cleaning last which helped some. I do agree they will need different springs.

Check out Joe Cross comment above.^^^^^^^^^^^

4 hours ago, Joe Cross, SASS #13848 L said:

I put 19# hammer springs in both of mine - great improvement!  Also, whilst the spring is off the strut, polish the top of the strut to make sure it's smooth and free of burrs. Check the slot the strut rides in too. When it's back together, a drop of light oil on the strut and into the innards will help cocking the hammer. Then just shooting will smooth it out even more.

Thank you. I havent polished anything yet... not sure how. I would like to learn. 

I put the 15# springs in mine w/ lighter trigger spring. So far so good. Some have had issues with the 15# however. I got my sets from Wolff for an old model Vaquero/Single six. Added Altamont grips so they feel like my NMV's.

lets see - two guns twice the ammo , but then if things keep going up we will all be looking to these to keep shooting , those look great hope they perform as well , 

They are just a less expensive built single six .

So they have tons of springs and holsters and grips available for them already.

I bought a couple for my Grandsons to shoot with a couple Henry's.

And I keep my three screw single six's and Winchester's in good condition for myself.

They are a great little gun for you to get the kids shooting and interested in to firearms and Cowboy Action shooting .

Rooster 

20 hours ago, Willie Miss 45 said:

Thank you. I havent polished anything yet... not sure how. I would like to learn. 

It's very easy. Once the strut, mainspring, and seat assembly are out and disassembled, rub your fingers over the strut checking for rough spots, especially on the round top that rides in the slot in the back of the hammer. If you find rough edges there, rub with a piece of crocus cloth on the flats until smooth and very lightly polish the round top that fits in the hammer slot. Use a fine pick with a bright light to check the hammer slot for any gunk.

After all is reassembled, cock and lower the hammer (don't snap it) several times. With the hammer cocked, put a drop of light oil (mineral oil will work) at the base of the hammer and cock and lower several times to work the oil into the innards. A drop of oil on top of the strut in the hammer and more cocking and lowering the hammer. Wipe off any excess oil, grab a box of 22s, and go shoot!! With time and use, it will get smoother.

Hope this helps...good luck.   ;)

JC

Hey Willie,

Nice guns!

Don't dry fire your Wranglers even though the manual says it's Ok.  You'll ding up your chambers.  

Get a package of those orange Pachmayr snap caps.  They come 24 to a pack.

I shot carpenter bees all summer with .22 bird shot in my Wrangler and it smoothed up pretty good.   

All the best, 

Mo

Archived