SASS Wire Forum

Tall Boots

Buckshot Bear

Been looking and looking for tall leather boots online and can't find anything. What do you wear and where did you get them?

I'm after something like what's in the pics below, but more 'maybe' civil war looking(?) What is the correct term for boots like these I should be searching for?

Spectacular-Tall-Custom-Cowboy-boots-Mens-11-by.jpg.dd35fb94f205ff0c085eaa5ffb518f59.jpg

1c637460309437027f82e082720f7a7a.thumb.jpg.eeee3cd5361d7345432b135719caacd9.jpg

I've seen the top pair referred to as "stove-pipe" tops, and the bottom pair in your pic are generally considered "mule-ear" boots.  Taller boots with riding heels are often referred to as "buckaroo" style boots.   Boots with a higher front than rear are one type of "cavalry" boot.  You'll probably find more selections with custom makers than the big name makers.  But, be careful... not all custom makers are worthy of the name...  

I second looking at the Canadian Boulet boots. I have two pair and no break in period and they are very comfortable. I tried the cavalry boots and did not like the way they felt, just my opinion . Deliver to Australia in the fall May be available. DC

3 minutes ago, Frybread Fred said:

I will say they were a little hard on the feet, however a pair of Ariat boot insoles solved that problem.

The only two pairs of boots I threw away without regret in a long life were Ariat - never another pair.  There are all sorts of sources for insoles, including custom.  Key point is to buy boots that fit from the start.

27 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

The only two pairs of boots I threw away without regret in a long life were Ariat - never another pair.  There are all sorts of sources for insoles, including custom.  Key point is to buy boots that fit from the start.

I have a pair of Ariats.  I like them for what it's worth. 

Of course I am not a hard core cowboy, nor do I wear them every day.  Mostly for my new found hobby.  YMMV

11 minutes ago, watab kid said:

seems tjhey are out there if your size fits , never got into the tall boot myself , but i get the interest in that look , 

They are even more interesting if you live in "Buzz Worm" territory!

6 hours ago, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

I second looking at the Canadian Boulet boots. I have two pair and no break in period and they are very comfortable. I tried the cavalry boots and did not like the way they felt, just my opinion . Deliver to Australia in the fall May be available. DC

I got a pair of Pietta .44's with 5" barrels (there are 3" on order but given its already been 2 years I'm not holding my breath) with your name on them DC.

17 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

I got a pair of Pietta .44's with 5" barrels (there are 3" on order but given its already been 2 years I'm not holding my breath) with your name on them DC.

Hope to visit before the year is over. Will keep you posted.

7E52069A-6005-4EA7-90B6-31FD08EC3B9C.jpeg

19 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

I added Tresso nipples to my Pietta Armies and am having decent luck. Wish Remington #10 were available but no luck finding any so far. The slixsix nipples don’t work very well on my guns with the CCI caps. Maybe someone will make a quality nipple for the CCI #11 caps.

29 minutes ago, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

I added Tresso nipples to my Pietta Armies and am having decent luck. Wish Remington #10 were available but no luck finding any so far. The slixsix nipples don’t work very well on my guns with the CCI caps. Maybe someone will make a quality nipple for the CCI #11 caps.

I have slix and more Remmi #10s then you will be able to get thru while you are here:P (check on what you are allowed to carry on the plane, I am sure I can spare you a few tins if you want).

I have also copied your loading technique so I have the fibre wads lubed up with Bees wax and Crisco.

Sorry OP I think I have hijacked your post:D

45 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Great stuff pards !!! Thank ya'll !!!

Ya do know you're gonna have to tell us what you come up with, right?

Aren't there milsurps available to you? I was thinking some European units also used tall boots.

36 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Ya do know you're gonna have to tell us what you come up with, right?

Aren't there milsurps available to you? I was thinking some European units also used tall boots.

Haven't found anything here Hendo.

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Haven't found anything here Hendo.

This was the closest I could find in Aust but they are classic riding boots rather than Cavalry Trooper boots.

https://rugs4horses.com.au/products/cavalier-leather-tall-boots?variant=39807977423027&currency=AUD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2022-03-10&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign

CAVALIER – LEATHER TALL BOOTS - Rugs4horses

There are a few on ebay but they all look like overseas companies? 

This one is in Pakistan.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/333867413621?chn=ps&_ul=AU&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

The Boulet boots are great, bout the only thing I wear for SASS and I shoot almost every weekend. Very comfortable. For regular foot wear I have to have custom inserts. My pair of Boulets have been resoled and reheeled and are going to need it again before to long.

kR

17 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

This was the closest I could find in Aust but they are classic riding boots rather than Cavalry Trooper boots.

https://rugs4horses.com.au/products/cavalier-leather-tall-boots?variant=39807977423027&currency=AUD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2022-03-10&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign

CAVALIER – LEATHER TALL BOOTS - Rugs4horses

This one is in Pakistan.

Yes, stumbled over the odd riding boots.

4 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

The Boulet boots are great, bout the only thing I wear for SASS and I shoot almost every weekend. Very comfortable. For regular foot wear I have to have custom inserts. My pair of Boulets have been resoled and reheeled and are going to need it again before to long.

kR

I looked hard at the Boulets, but went with the Abilenes instead. My only complaint on the Abilenes is that the shafts are a bit big around the calf.

18 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

This one is in Pakistan.

Most of the boots of that style, whether on ebay, Historical Emporium, C&C and a few others in that price range, come from Punjab. I have a pair of Civil War cavalry boots and they aren't bad for the price point.

Archived