SASS Wire Forum

did the hit on my head help my diabetes?

Trigger Mike

When I went to the hospital with my accident my sugar shot up to 220 then dropped.  Before the accident I often would get close to 285 , especially after super,.  After it hit 220 in the emergency room, it has not gotten that high again.  Even tonight after supper I had some banana pudding my wife made.  Usually that was a guaranteed 260 or more.  It got to 168 and then fell to 157, and its been 2 hours.  Other than taking motrin every 6 hours and the pain med the doc gave me every 6 hours, everything else is the same.  I even sleep more so am less active because of the injury.  

My wife has diabetes as well according to the doc but she ignores hers.  Should I hit her in the head too to cure her problems?  :D

I am just kidding about hitting the wife in the head.  she has a pretty head.

not sure you should make a habit of it to control the sugar levels ...........gotta be a less painful way .....even the fingerprick and needlepoke sounds better to me than a blow to the head , might just be me here tho 

Discourage your wife from ignoring Diabetes.  When the symptoms first show, the damage will already be done-- irreversibly. 

But keeping it under control can avoid the blindness, limb loss, etc., indefinitely.  And with today's medical options, controlling it is much simpler than in the past.  

I've watched my diet for years and still run some higher than normal numbers..... 150-200.   Mostly around 150+.

The last week or so, after starting to eat some Pistachios every day, my numbers have been between 127-135.

I'm gonna continue to eat Pistachios and see how things pan out.   Its the only thing I've changed in my diet lately.

P.S. - best wishes for your continual lower numbers.

..........Widder

12 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Discourage your wife from ignoring Diabetes.  When the symptoms first show, the damage will already be done-- irreversibly. 

But keeping it under control can avoid the blindness, limb loss, etc., indefinitely.  And with today's medical options, controlling it is much simpler than in the past.  

I've tried.  A while back she had a cold so I tested her sugar and it was 185 so I gave her the ozempic her Dr prescribed to her.  It made her septic and she spent 3 days in the hospital so she decided diabetes was better.   

Drives me batty she can eat once in a while and I have to eat on time.  

I am NOT trying to play doctor for her, but I would get her to ask her doctor if there are some other meds, such as Metformin or glemiperide that can be used (where insulin injections are not required).  Keeping blood sugar levels under control and as even as possible can be tricky, but the alternatives can be life-threatening!  And blood sugar levels can go up and down.  For example, this past Monday I had my semi-annual endocrynology checkup.  My A1C dropped from 7.5 to 6.8! :D  Interestingly, I took my usual finger stick about 7:30 AM and it was 111.  I had nothing to eat for 12 hours before, and didn't eat until after the doc's test at 9:15AM.  Daily level went up to 145.  Doc said this isn't unusual for someone approaching octagenarian statis.  Keep doing what I'm doing!

Tell your wife, if she loves you enough to be around for awhile, to find an endocrynologist and probably a nutritionist, who can help her manage her diabetes better and more easily.

Both of you be well and safe!

My friend's wife was flagrantly non-compliant with managing her diabetes.
They started cutting off body parts as they failed... toes, feet, legs below the knees.
Her kidneys failed and she started going blind.
Then it finally killed her.

Type-II is most common in fat people and those who suck up the carbs.
If it is crunchy, she can eat it.
If it is gooey, soft, or has to be cultivated... nope.

IF you have low blood pressure... and IF you can keep your LDL and Triglydericdes < 50 and < 75, eat all the bacon you want.
Fats and Proteins are your friend... IF these are low.
If they are not low, high BP + high LDL will load your heart with diffuse atherosclerosis and you will have a heart attack.

Nobody gets out of this life alive, but it is preferably to leave with all your body parts intact.

An infection will also drive up your blood sugar levels.

Take heed of bgavin's warning. It is very true!

I watched my Father-in-Law go blind then have his extremities start to die, due to lack of circulation.

On 4/8/2022 at 9:19 PM, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Stress, mental or physical, illness and injury all can affect your blood sugar. At least that is what I have found. 

I had a severe case of sleep apnea and am mildly diabetic..  In 2018 I received my CPAP machine and used it faithfully.  I discovered that my blood sugar numbers went down about 20 points across the board.  Sleeping better must be helping me burn blood sugar better.

I am a brittle (read: "labile") diabetic.

The glucose molecule is a wrecking ball that floats around in your blood stream.
Blood vessel damage is first visible in the tiny ones in the retina of the eye.
Your optometrist will see the first visible signs of diabetes damage.

These wrecking balls travel to every vascularized area of the body.

Metabolic Disorder occurs when the body cells cannot absorb glucose, leaving it free to circulate and trash everything it bumps into.
Insulin is the Catch-22 drug:  it scavenges glucose from the blood stream and stores it in fat cells.
Excess fat excel increase the effects of metabolic disorder, which dumps more glucose back into the blood stream.
Catch-22.

There are two solutions:  avoidance and excretion.
You can avoid excess glucose by cutting out the carbohydrates.
Non-fat, gluten-free, non-GMO ice cubes make an excellent main course, side dish and dessert.... < grin >

The other solution is Jardiance, or similar.
This excretes glucose through the urine.
This will cause excitement in idiot doctors who read your lab results, and contact you with "You have SUGAR in your urine!"
To which you remind them, "I see you don't bother reading my charts, and see I am taking Jardiance", after which, you will never hear from that doctor again.

Cutting out the carbs is mandatory if you want to survive this.
Drugs and pills are simply not enough.
Once you get into the insulin Catch-22, losing weight is near impossible.

image.medicine.electron.microscope.02.glucose.red.blood.cell.720.sfw.jpg

My wife was on Metformin, Humalog and Tresiba for many years.

She dealt with the side affects involving the eyes; Cataracts, bleeds, laser treatments and injections into the eyeball to slow the progress of blood vessels forming in the back of the eye.  

She managed pretty well until last year, when an unrelated problem occurred.

Fun Fact: Here in Canada, part of North America, living next door to the USA, our medical people don't measure blood glucose by the same measurement as the US.

NO-NO, we had to be DIFFERENT and adopt the system used by the United Kingdom (and Europe?), an ocean away.

DUH!

Archived