SASS Wire Forum

Standard practice or gouging...?

So I get a phone call from Ms Helen Brimstone a couple days ago; she was at the local Mazda dealership*, taking advantage of a such-a-deal "coupon" for an oil change and tire rotation at the wonderful price of only $89.95.  Okay... that's probably not too bad, and I know she's spent more at other places.

But while there, they did a "free" ten-point inspection and presented her with an electronic list of recommended services and prices (see below), and a very convenient "click here" button to approve their going ahead.

Uh... Dear Girl, please do NOT "click here!"  

Probably the most reasonable item on the list is the "air filter," at $45.  Filter is about $12 - $14 elsewhere.

Now, to go down the list:

Cabin Air Filter - $97.00   This filter retails elsewhere for $10, and literally takes less than 30 seconds to change.

Battery Service (clean terminals) - $44.95   Seems a mite steep for cleaning off the terminals; at any rate, I'll do it.

Transmission Fluid Exchange Service - $459.95   Interesting; Mazda themselves say that this is a sealed system, and fluid exchange is not recommended unless there is physical damage to the actual transmission.

Belt Tensioner and both drive belts - $524   Not a difficult task; again, I'll do it for her.  About $40 for both belts; tensioner runs from about $40 to $160 (!?!)

Spark Plugs - $318   Huh??  OEM NKG Iridium plugs are $11 apiece.  I watched a YouTube video of a fella changing them in under fifteen minutes, without rushing.  VERY straightforward.

Fuel and Induction Cleaning Service - $199.95   Hm.  Possibly not too outrageous; this should take less than a half hour and perhaps require three separate cleaning agents that would cost $50 - $75.

Total - $1,778.80  

*Although under "new ownership," this is the same dealership that I took to Small Claims Court a few years ago - they wanted me to pay $2k to replace a faulty PCM (computer) that they had swapped in under a recall order.  It kept telling me that my O2 sensors were failing; they wanted almost $500 to change a sensor (and they wanted nearly $350 just for the sensor).  I prevailed.  

So I'm wondering... is this normal shop pricing?  Taking advantage of a "girl?"  Does that still happen in this day and age??  :huh:

At any rate, I reckon she'll be seeking her future car service elsewhere.  :rolleyes:

1970397130_Karens100kServiceEstimate.jpg.0a284fbe766598ef4b66b7ca479533e8.jpg

It’s normal. My wife used to own an Acura TSX and the dealer presented her with a similar list of “highly recommended “ service items at outrageous prices. Spark plug change (4) was well over $200 (about 10 years ago). The cost just for the plugs was $110. I did the job in 15 minutes and $27 for four plugs. Air and cabin filters priced similar to your example - adjusted for inflation.

Dealer shop rates are in the neighborhood of $200/hr now. They follow an artificial book that says X procedure takes X hours to perform. Even though a competent mechanic can do it in a tiny fraction of the time, they charge the book rate. That’s why it costs $100 to replace a tail light bulb. 

Pretty much normal. It's the same for our Subaru. You have to pick and choose what they do and what you do yourself.

I took my 2005 Hemi Magnum to a place I trust.  I told them "I'm keeping this car forever, Fix Everything."  They went over the car from top to bottom, extensive repair / replacement list, and put on 4 top of the line high speed tires.  Bill just under 3K, of course, that's small town life in the West.  Car performs as well as it ever did. 

When I began my career as a professional automotive repair technician, I got 50% of the shop labor rate and it was &17.50 an hour as established by the Mitchel flat rate manual. The time called for in the book was established by having experienced mechanics perform the various operations with suitable hand tools under supervision of factory personnel in professional shop conditions.  The “book” at that time was fair and reasonable.

I was factory trained and well schooled and had good tools at my disposal.  I also had the best air and electric tools.  In most cases, I could “beat the book” by a substantial margin while completing the job correctly and I was required to stand behind my work.  My customers were treated fairly and I made good money.  If the part failed, I replaced it free of charge and if my work was sub par, I did it again for free.  A part failure meant that the supplier paid me to replace it.  I made a good living!!

When I left the trade, the labor rate was $45.00 an hour and I was getting 30%.  I went to work for a racing operation and took a salary, but the owner allowed me to work on customer vehicles when I wasn’t busy with the race cars and equipment.  I still used the manuals and offered the same rates as other shops in the area. Fifteen years later, the labor rate was $65.00 an hour and rising.  Dealerships were 20% to 35% higher.

I still do nearly all my own work and occasionally do a little custom work for others.  My rates STILL don’t approach those of the dealerships!!  My own feeling is that anyone needing repairs should find a reputable independent repair facility for anything other than warranty repairs and if the shop is willing, have them perform warranty repairs as well!! It takes some doing, but most manufacturers will pay independent garages to do warranty repairs.

About the only thing I will go to a dealership for is factory recalls and government ordered safety repair!!

If I had gotten a quote for goods, and services, and prices, like that, I would have said: "We have a new secretary, at our office, that handles things like this. Her name is Helen Wait. If you want me to consider any of this, please go to Helen Wait". 

By the time they got that, presuming they ever did get that, I would be out the door, and down the trail.

I can clean my battery terminals, by using some Coca-Cola, and a can of Coke is not $44.95, last time I checked. 

But, it is not that unusual to get some good prices, for some things, and then once you are there, they present you with a list of "what needs to be done". 

I can do a lot of things, a lot cheaper, than they have presented. 

A lot of that kind of stuff is going around, but I am hoping it is the exception, and not the rule. 

I was born at night...but not last night.

Brother Hardpan, my stepdad who raised me since I was 12, was an automotive machinery. He would never let me take any of my vehicles to any shops especialy dealerships. Made me work on everything I owned (don't know if that is good or bad). Now days I just do not trust anyone working on my truck and if I do have to take it somewhere I am standing there watching them work on it

Had a set of tires installed at a big chain outfit a few years ago and they told me that the car needed brakes and a CV joint boot replaced.   I checked the brakes when I got home and examined the axles.

We replaced the brake pads two years later and I installed new rotors out of spite. That was 35,000 miles later. The axle boot and the other three like it are still on the car and in good condition!

And the nearly $300.00 more that they wanted to do the job is on the ammo shelves in my gun room!! B)

Hey Blackwater, about 15 years ago I had a chevy pickup that the proportionante valve was messed up and caused my front brakes to drag. Messed up the rotors, so my step dad and I replaced everything from the valve forward except the lines. All new brakes, rotor caliber I think we even replaced all the bearings too. About 2 months later, went to get new  tires and alinment, and they told me my brakes were almost gone and I should not even drive the truck home. After a long line of assorted words I went and got tires someplace else

At one time, I had an excellent mechanic, but unfortunately he died in a desert racing accident.   I recall once looking at my bill and asking him,"Larry, what's this 12% surcharge". 

He replied, "It's my single mom assessment.  Dale, I know you can afford the extra 12%.   But I get a lot of single, moms in here who have only one car to get them to work and back.  They can't afford a new garden hose, let alone car repairs.  I discount the labor, and your 12% buys their replacement parts -- without them having to know it.  You don't have to pay it if you prefer not". 

I paid it with  welled up eyes and came away with a different point of view.

A true story. 

For all work on my vehicle, I go to a independent mechanic that I've been using for about 10 years now. He's always been up front, knowledgeable and able to fix whatever the issue the first time at 1/2 the price of a dealer or the like. He doesn't do tires or alignments however.

Last time I went to a "name brand" tire place to get my tires rotated and balanced, I pointedly told them that was all I wanted done. I walked outside to look in the bay, there was my truck...with the hood up. I walked into the bay and asked what they thought they were doing with my hood up for a rotate and balance. The so called mechanic replied that they do this with all vehicles as a "safety check". I closed the hood, told him not to reopen the hood and headed in for the manager.

The words said to the manager are not printable here, lets just say that he understood that the rotate and balance job was NOT located under the hood.

Boy, I just hate any business that TRIES to gig you for extra money.

A few years back, my wife took her Durango to the stealership she bought it from for the semi-annual "Service for Life. Change oil, check fluids, rotate tires. 

Oil was changed, fluids were topped off, tires weren't rotated. I asked why. Dodge has a habit of using a two piece lug nut, a steel core and a plastic shell. They wouldn't rotate the tires because of these lug nuts. I got a set off ebay cheap, and did it myself. 

They also told us that her CV boots needed replaced. IT'S A TWO WHEEL DRIVE!!! NO CV boots. That's the last time we've been back.

We found a independent mechanic through the used car dealer that I bought my Jeep from. We've been taking everything there for 6 years or so. We've done so much business with them that we rate the Friends and Family rate for labor. 

We leased a Honda CR-V. At 8000 miles it needed it's first oil change. The dealer calls to tell me the code on the dash also indicated it needs the rear diff fluid changed.?!? I said I used to work at a Chevy dealership and we never changed it unless there was a leak or other repair. Then I was told it would void my warranty if not done as it would now be on record. Cost $80. Looked up the code when I got home and it said it's built into the computer and going forward it will come up every 16K. There is no sensor, just a computer money maker.

I could go on for hours with all the stunts they pulled at the dealership, but I'm on my phone and Otto drives me nuts! That's why I eventually quit. I just can't lie to folks. One thing they used to do was only change THE bad part. IE: if some of the brake pads weren't too worn, they would clean em up and keep the extra new ones for the next guy. One poor bastid had a leaky valve cover. Just spray it off with Brake-Kleen. When he came back due to it still leaking. Oh, seems the head must be warped, that will be about 3K. Then change the gasket and send him on his way. Shock leaking, just change one and charge for 2, now we have a free one for the next victim. On and on! We went thru a lot of Brake cleaner!

I've always told friends and family, never, ever take your vehicle to a dealership unless its covered by warranty.

If you do 'a fool and his money is soon parted'. 

I was once trading in a 3 year old SUV in perfect condition to buy a F350. Their mechanic took it for a ride to check it out. Salesman walks in and says, Well our mechanic says you have an engine knock and the trade in value just went way down. I laughed, looked at him and said get your manager. I told him that I've been working on vehicles for 30 years and I built engines for 10. So take your engine knock lie and shove it. I got an even better deal.

im still getting a notice on my 97 jeep grand cherokee about the gas tank issue - repair fix , they want to install a trailer hitch , it came with one .........i dont respond , its going to the jumk yard this month , wonder if ill still get them ? 

Archived