SASS Wire Forum

RCBS .45-70 dies: "regular" or "Cowboy" version?

I'm new to reloading rifle cartridges, getting into it to shoot my .45-70 Browning 1885 High Wall at the club range and matches.  What is the difference between the RCBS "standard" set of dies (RCBS 20904) and the "Cowboy" set (RCBS 20951), and which is the set to use for our game?  I can guess that it would be the "Cowboy" set (really -- that's my first guess), but why?  Thanks.

Any RCBS dies I have in SASS calibers are "standard" ones.    I have no idea how the "cowboy" dies are different.   The regular ones seem to make my ammo just fine.

That said, I do prefer Lee dies.   They are what I use for .45-70.   The powder through the expander die is a great feature.

There's actually not a tremendous difference between the standard and "cowboy" versions of .45-70 dies.

The cowboy version is blued steel with brass lock rings, which are kind of pretty.  As I understand it, RCBS "cowboy" dies are optimized for cast lead bullets with a traditional roll crimp.

I have a set of Cowboy dies for my .38-55, which I like because they came with a larger 0.379" expander for use with the 0.380/0.381" cast bullets that my old Winchester prefers (in addition to the 0.376" expander).

.45-70 Government Cowboy Dies - 3-Die Roll Crimp Set

1 hour ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

If you're using your own brass for single shots keep the different rifles brass separate.   There is no need to full length size.  Just bell slightly and seat the bullet.....no need to crimp whatsoever.

You need to neck size for needed bullet tension!

I've been using the standard RCBS dies since the early 80's . I've loaded both cast and jacketed bullets with them with no problem getting accurate reloads. I've never used the Cowboy does

1 hour ago, Big Timber SASS #19724Life said:

I've been using the standard RCBS dies since the early 80's . I've loaded both cast and jacketed bullets with them with no problem getting accurate reloads. I've never used the Cowboy does

That recently? Been using mine since the 1960's, long before any "Cowboy" dies came out.  RCBS is high quality.  You might need to order a separate, different size expander plug, depending on the bullet diameter you are using.  You need the plug to be about .003 to .004" smaller than the bullet. 

6 hours ago, Major Art Tillery said:

The cowboy dies are suppose to have slightly different specs for use with lead cast bullets I believe.

This^

I started loading .44-40 with Lyman dies, but was having some trouble with chambering the finished cartridges. I switched to the cowboy dies and the problem went away. I'm told the sizing die is slightly different as is the expander plug. 

Not that this has any application to .45-70...

I have and use several different sets of RCBS Cowboy Dies.  Our cast lead bullets mostly have a flat point.  The cowboy Dies are shaped to fit this flat point on our cowboy lead without causing any mis-shaping of the bullet..

As well, the Cowboy dies usually have a thousandths or two larger expander button, to prevent shaving lead when seating cast bullets.  Cast bullets do not tolerate tight neck tension like jacketed bullets do.    Of course, you can order a Lyman M die to expand the neck area, and that works well too.

In .45-70, not enough difference to convince me to buy them if I had to have another set.  (My set is the standard)

They are pretty, though, which might be worth 5 cents to me.

good luck, GJ

Archived