SASS Wire Forum

Loved this TV show

Buckshot Bear

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I liked that show too. My Dad hated it and forbade us from watching it, which made it all the more attractive. :D

That's funny! My dad was the same way. He didn't forbid me from watching it but he didn't like that I did.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I liked that show too. My Dad hated it and forbade us from watching it, which made it all the more attractive. :D

My mom too.  She felt it was insulting to Germans to be portrayed as idiots, especially since the US "recruited" so many of them for their post-war nuclear programs.

5 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

My mom too.  She felt it was insulting to Germans to be portrayed as idiots, especially since the US "recruited" so many of them for their post-war nuclear programs.

Those “idiots” were so anti-Nazi that they would not have done the show otherwise.

As one that was born in Germany, I can say myself and my family laughed at many of the situations as shown and never took an insult as all Germans were stupid. My father said the same when I asked him one time if he was ever embarrassed or ashamed at some of the depictions.  LOL, he said one time he knew a Sgt. that was just like Shultz when questioned about how parts and repairs were going on his or his squadron planes. He said he always answered he didn't know but would find out. Dad said he never did and never could figure out how he became Chief Mechanic. But his crew were Top-Notch and that's maybe why.

He actually thought that the TV Series "Combat" showed German Soldiers  as less competent and quit watching it have way though 1st season.  

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Hilga!

Was that a deliberate portmanteau, or Old timer's disease?

Originally Klink's secretary was Fraulein Helga (Cynthia, nee Zinta).

61YurkOMfGaRWNac63XYT-FstGX_YlWmUrm0VQc1

Then she left and was replaced with Fraulein Hilda.

Hilda_(2).jpg.addfca5bc769544cc092810ddb1c674b.jpg

Fraulein Hilda (Sigrid) married Colonel Hogan (Bob) a year before the show ended.

46 minutes ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

As one that was born in Germany, I can say myself and my family laughed at many of the situations as shown and never took an insult as all Germans were stupid

I've read that the show is quite popular in Germany. Most of the people polled said that they knew people exactly like the characters on the show. "What he did was just so German."

That was hard to actually believe, until I saw O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU. All the way through that movie I was thinking, "I know that guy".

22 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I'm a sucker for Latvian blondes...

I am a sucker for blondes. My wife's blonde.

I still watch it a lot. We get a network called MeTV that only has old shows, kinda like TV Land. Comes on at 9PM weeknights. Problem is I've watched it for years and have finally gotten tired of it.

JHC

24 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Interesting that 3 of the actors were Jews that escaped from Germany and one had been in a concentration camp.

John Banner lost family in the holocaust. Werner Klemperer is said to have had it written into his contract that Col. Klink would always be portrayed as bumbling and would never be victorious over Hogan.

i noticed Sergeant Schultz packed a Krag not a Mauser in some episodes. one of my friends pointed out to me that Krags captured in Norway were issued to second line troops such as Luftwaffe POW guards! 

ok , i never watched the show - wrong era for me i guess ,

one of my best friends in high school was the son of a latvian lady  , his mom was a wonderful lady and geat cook , she told us to bring home all the cottontails we could harvest - then she would cook it for her friends [and the two of us] ive never eaten rabbit that tasted as good since then , i probably never will , they moved to cincinatti before graduation and ive never seen them since , 

Archived