SASS Wire Forum

Transporting Firearms

Currituck Kid

Isn't hard for your wife to breath in that bag full of guns? Seems like that's abuse of some sort.

I bought a hard storage case from Harbor Freight.  I did a small one that holds 3 single sixes.  A bigger one hold 2 pairs of revolvers plus a pocket pistol. You can pluck the foam and arrange them standing up, rather than flat.  

43234716-F419-4562-A423-CD10C97EF1E3.jpeg

How do you coax her into the bag?

1 hour ago, Not Dead Ed said:

I bought a hard storage case from Harbor Freight.  I did a small one that holds 3 single sixes.  A bigger one hold 2 pairs of revolvers plus a pocket pistol. You can pluck the foam and arrange them standing up, rather than flat.  

43234716-F419-4562-A423-CD10C97EF1E3.jpeg

That right there is what I use, too. They can be had cheap if you get a coupon and wait for a sale. 

I have all of my pistol sets stored in a hard case with foam that can hold two revolvers. I also have a double two layer hard case, similar to the one mentioned above, that will hold 4 revolvers. I would recommend one of those for what you want to do.

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Protector-Pistol-X-Large-Black/dp/B00TY4AN4G

A bit heavy, but I use a tactical case I got online from Walmart. Holds 4 long guns with Velcro straps, 2 pockets on outside padded to hold 4 pistols. The magazine pockets for whatever. But I repeat, with 8 guns it is heavy! Only one trip up the stairs though. When I ordered it said for 2 long guns, but came thru set up for 4.

1 hour ago, Mister Badly said:

I use one of these. Easily carries 4 long guns and 4 pistols.

31bUhufnVIL.jpg

I have one of these as well but retired it recently after my last hernia surgery.

For pistols only I use the neoprene double pistol case I got from SASS, or a aluminum padded tool case I got from Lowe's a few years ago for $25.

Randy

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

Hmmm.... hiding them away in bags and cases... like they're something to be ashamed of... Shameful!  Shameful, I say!  Have you no pride?  Oh, wait, did you say they were Rugers...?  That's ok then, I'd hide them too!

Another vote for a hard side case, Rifle or Handgun.

I use Both/Either-Or depending what and how much I am transporting.

Handgun:

New Winchester (Lockable 2 Gun) Pistol Case | Northwest Firearms

Rifle/Shotgun/Handgun:

Mallette/Valise Vanguard 1 arme ABS / ALU rigide - Bagagerie, Bretelles,  Cartouchières... | Armurerie Beaurepaire

I have a Midway range bag I've used for years, has 2 removable rectangular sleeves for pistols and a removable center section I put ammo in. I've carried 4 pistols in it with ammo and glasses but it can get a little heavy. Still going strong and its old enough it only cost me 40 bucks at the time.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939221689?pid=638531

On 4/8/2022 at 1:36 PM, Hendo said:

Hey, FJT! @Frederick Jackson Turner

What was the name of the case you and @hud use? I wanna say Seahorse or something like that. 

Hendo; I believe that is the Savior guitar gun case.  Hud uses one to transport all four guns.  A warning - it's pretty danged heavy with all four aboard.  I've had better luck using a Pelican, and just slapping a "Fender" sticker on the outside... ;-)

Cheers,

FJT

1 hour ago, Frederick Jackson Turner said:

Hendo; I believe that is the Savior guitar gun case.  Hud uses one to transport all four guns.  A warning - it's pretty danged heavy with all four aboard.  I've had better luck using a Pelican, and just slapping a "Fender" sticker on the outside... ;-)

Cheers,

FJT

I got a pretty good idea about how hefty that is. I use to use a Voodoo 2 rifle case with my pistols in the side pockets. Got to be a bit heavy to through over the bedrail of the truck.

Be careful Mr. Turner on your Fender sticker disguise.  It would be awkward to be at a gig with the wrong case as I'm sure 10-10-4+ isn't a proper Irish jig. :D

If I were driving a truck I would go hard sided cases for everything.  Probably something like FJT or Mister Badly.  Since we're cramming three people, six long guns, six pistols, a rugged gear cart, ammo, range bag, leather, hats, boots and luggage into a Mustang we go with socks, gun socks for the long guns and old athletic socks for the revolvers.  

4 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

If I were driving a truck I would go hard sided cases for everything.  Probably something like FJT or Mister Badly.  Since we're cramming three people, six long guns, six pistols, a rugged gear cart, ammo, range bag, leather, hats, boots and luggage into a Mustang we go with socks, gun socks for the long guns and old athletic socks for the revolvers.  

What happened to the Camaro?

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I still have it but Michael can’t drive a stick so we take his Mustang and let him chauffeur us!

Seems like this one would have more room.

46A22A7D-5E3E-4C16-9DC3-7151CD90F27D.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Mister Badly said:

Those are very functional but somewhat homely in all colors but black. Almost bought one.;) I did buy one of these. Looks like a dustbuster without a handle.

A3379 (1).JPG

Walt White didn’t own one of those.

I drive to matches in a full size Ram pick up. When I was working in law enforcement we has a gun vault in our trucks and SUV that was made by a company named truck vault. They make vehicle specific vaults that are flat and lockable.

I searched Craigslist and market place and found a used one for 300.00 a few years ago. Can travel to shoots with all the guns, leather and ammo locked in the truck. It’s size and weight really make it difficult to steal. Guess they could always steal the whole truck at least in theory. The unit I bought was for an explorer but works great in my truck. I do see them here on the wire for sale on occasion.

for me it was a great investment.

just sayin

1 hour ago, Marshal Fire, SASS 10064 said:

I drive to matches in a full size Ram pick up. When I was working in law enforcement we has a gun vault in our trucks and SUV that was made by a company named truck vault. They make vehicle specific vaults that are flat and lockable.

I searched Craigslist and market place and found a used one for 300.00 a few years ago. Can travel to shoots with all the guns, leather and ammo locked in the truck. It’s size and weight really make it difficult to steal. Guess they could always steal the whole truck at least in theory. The unit I bought was for an explorer but works great in my truck. I do see them here on the wire for sale on occasion.

for me it was a great investment.

just sayin

Here’s what I use. Room for my gun cart on one side.

AF110C94-B3E1-44CA-B9B1-A2DDFF3B0FDB.jpeg

AE193052-A6E9-41C2-B7EE-55EA29F2EC93.jpeg

DECE339D-B6D5-469F-8574-3D44316D3B1D.jpeg

Where I live, you must transport firearms in a locked case, in the trunk.   If your car does not have a trunk, they can be in the back of a van or something like that where they are not readily accessible to the driver.  With that in mind, I have a nice large case that I can fit my rifle, shotgun, and 2 pistols in with no problems.   If I'm travelling to a "big" shoot far from home and need more guns for side matches and perhaps Wild Bunch, then, I just start squeezing stuff as efficiently as I can into the various rifle, and a couple of pistol, cases that I own. 

9 hours ago, Hendo said:

Are you allowed to show up to a cowboy match in that?

:ph34r:

I've seen a Tesla at a cowboy match or two... It's like horses... to me, quarter horses are God's equine gift to man... Thoroughbreds are fighty, unpredictable and prone to breakage...  Arabians are also flighty, prone to breakage... and seldom weigh enough to tackle cattle... Morgan's come close, but are a little lightweight... Frankly, Paints and Pintos are just too flashy for my taste... I just don't go for all that chrome, but I can understand why the wimmen's like 'em... their heads are often turned by a little flash!  Same with cars... or trucks... It's good to have choices!  I'm so glad some many folks choose the poor choices... leaves me bein' able to afford what I like!

i have pelican cases for both the long guns and the handguns , they are locked when traveling and i have type with wheels , while i generally have the camper , i would not want to check into the motel without them , 

for local range duty ive got a soft case that will hold two long guns and two handguns , but i only use this when im not carrying spares [always at matches] and dont need to lock , 

6 hours ago, .44bang said:

In Los Angeles the weapon and ammunition must be in seperate containers with at least one in a locked container. The glove box is not acceptable. In the trunk is preferred, but the trunk is not considered a locked container.

The trunk is not considered to be in your physical control, so it should be fine.

Archived