SASS Wire Forum

BP Question

German Jim

I've been using Black Powder for years and have only used 2F granulation.  I've never used 2FA.  What is the difference?  Has anyone used 2FA in place of 2F?  I shoot 38 WCF and sometimes .45 Colt if that matters.

TIA

Get 5FA....thats the size of 2-3f      Works fine. I couldnt find any fg at beginning of the drought, so I ordered a case of the 5fa and cant tell a difference.

As the others posted, the "a" designation is powder that is typically meant for blasting or fireworks.  The "g" designation is for sporting or recreational shooting.  The "g" stands for glazed as I recall.  Recreational powder is polished  or 'glazed' to remove the burs and help it to pour easier.  (graphite is often added to commercial recreational powder as well)    Plus the glazing process changes the size of the grain.  All said and done, this process does slow the burn rate down so FFg does not have the same burn rate as FFa.

As you might imagine those who dabble with making their own are likely working with more the 'a' variety as most wouldn't bother with the trouble of polishing powder.  But most are screening the powder to be equivalent to the "g" size categories.

Archived