SASS Wire Forum

Running low on shotgun powder. Have novel solution.

I am running low on Red Dot, the powder I use for loading 12 gauge shotshells.   I have not been able to find any anywhere for quite some time.  I have about half a box worth of Magtech brass to load up, and once they are set, I think I've got enough powder left for maybe 3 or 4 boxes of AAs that I trim back to 2-1/2" for use in my older shotguns with shorter chambers.  Now, here's the kicker.  Once I am done with all of that, I will have loaded up enough 12 gauge, (and .45 Colt) for me and 3 friends to potentially go shoot End of the Trail next year.  So I have to save all that ammo.   No big deal.  I can shoot .44-40 or .32-20 or .44 Magnum or .44 Special at local shoots between now and then, all of which I have plenty of ammo stockpiled, and plenty of powder and bullets to load up more ammo as needed.    But what do do about the shotgun?   Well, as I was putting away my just loaded up ammo, I came across a buncha 20 gauge ammo (Magtech brass again) I had loaded up from back when I was doing Zoot Shooting.  I've also got plenty of Blue Dot, the powder I use for 20 gauge.  So there's the solution to my shotgun problem.  All I gotta do now is go buy me a 20 Gauge Parker Trojan that I know of for sale nearby for a reasonable price.  :)  

Is that a reasonable solution?

I was in my favorite gun/reloading store today and they got in a shipment of alliant powder, red dot being one they got.  Might want to keep an eye on online suppliers, some may pop up. 

I also ran out of Red Dot. I picked up some Winchester 244. I made up some shotshells, four loads with different bullets in .45ACP, and some .38 Special. I'm using the same grain weight as I was with Red Dot. Promising so far. I've seen a lot of 244 around. I have not tried it in bigger cases like 45 Colt or 44Mag yet.

I have 12 gauge & 20 gauge shotguns, loading press for each, and an assortment of powder for each, just for the type of problem you are having. I don't like being locked into just one powder for anything these days.

14 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I am running low on Red Dot, the powder I use for loading 12 gauge shotshells.   I have not been able to find any anywhere for quite some time.  I have about half a box worth of Magtech brass to load up, and once they are set, I think I've got enough powder left for maybe 3 or 4 boxes of AAs that I trim back to 2-1/2" for use in my older shotguns with shorter chambers.  Now, here's the kicker.  Once I am done with all of that, I will have loaded up enough 12 gauge, (and .45 Colt) for me and 3 friends to potentially go shoot End of the Trail next year.  So I have to save all that ammo.   No big deal.  I can shoot .44-40 or .32-20 or .44 Magnum or .44 Special at local shoots between now and then, all of which I have plenty of ammo stockpiled, and plenty of powder and bullets to load up more ammo as needed.    But what do do about the shotgun?   Well, as I was putting away my just loaded up ammo, I came across a buncha 20 gauge ammo (Magtech brass again) I had loaded up from back when I was doing Zoot Shooting.  I've also got plenty of Blue Dot, the powder I use for 20 gauge.  So there's the solution to my shotgun problem.  All I gotta do now is go buy me a 20 Gauge Parker Trojan that I know of for sale nearby for a reasonable price.  :)  

Is that a reasonable solution?

Easy fix!! Have fun!!:)

Archived