SASS Wire Forum

Meatloaf! Anybody got a favorite recipe!

First, I like to cook, heck I even have 1000 hours of culinary training.  But because of my back injury I can’t stand for ten minutes and I get meals on wheels delivered almost five days a week. Cafeteria food ain’t bad but sometimes I just crave some good old fashioned American comfort Food cooked right, in this case I decided on meatloaf. I have to plan ahead for this, started getting ingredients last week. Made a barbecue sauce topping last week. Started measuring and prepping yesterday, got my dry ingredients together today, oven is preheating, will soon get serious and mix it all….

Does anyone have a favorite recipe or technique? It’s too far along for me to change but I’d love to read what you do.

Mines not much different than the usual except that I use Hatch green chii's instead of bell pepper and i use dry oatmeal for the fillier/binder instead of cracker /bread crumbs.  About 20 before done a layer of catsup is spread over the top and allowed to carmelize.

Shred a tater instead of breading.

Also good with shredded carot or sweet tater mixed in.

if using turkey I shred a zucchini and add sweet tater and tater. 

Mix Jimmy Dean (small tube) Regular or Spicy, equal amount good hamburger, half a cup of breadcrumbs, half a medium onion chopped fine and one egg. Form into a flattish oval loaf and place on a grill on a foil covered (the sugar makes a real mess) cookie sheet Meanwhile, half a jar of peach jam (or Cherry), half a cup of brown sugar, a cup of favorite BBQ sauce, half a cup of bourbon and hot sauce (type and amount) to taste.  Simmer the sauce till it thickens a bit, generously cover the top of the meatloaf and bake as usual, occasionally adding more sauce to the top.  When done, let set and serve with extra sauce.  BTW, the alcohol has all cooked off by that time, so just the flavor remains. If someone wants the actual, detailed recipe,  PM &  I can send it, but it is pretty routine.

Mix meat with egg, bread crumbs, garlic powder, garlic salt, onion powder, and Worcester sauce.  Form flat, then put a block of good sharp cheddar cheese in the center, and form meat over cheese, wrap it tightly with parchment paper then put it in the smoker.  Seasonings vary depending on taste. 

Find some Catsup & Mustard with Jalapino..Hmmm Humm         

Largo

2 lbs 80/20 ground beef ( or substitute 1 lb with ground turkey)

2 stalks celery finely chopped.

2 med carrots grated

1 small can tomato sauce 

1 small tomato paste

2 eggs

Salt, pepper, garlic powder

Bread crumbs 

Mix all ingredients in bowl except meat and bread crumbs. Put only 1/2 can of tomato paste in bowl set the rest aside. 

(You can add chopped onions but I dont because my dog LOVES this stuff and I couldn't feed it to her with onions!)

You can also add a small can of "Mexicorn" if desired.

Mix the meat into the bowl well and add bread crumbs until it will stay in a "loaf".

Put in baking dish form a even loaf. 

Bake at 375° for @ 50 min then check with thermometer bake until it reaches 165° internally.

Take out of oven spread the 1/2 Can of tomato paste on top like icing on a cake, put under broiler until paste starts turning brown. 

Remove from oven let set for 10 min before serving.

ENJOY!!

It can be sliced, frozen and used again later!

This was my mom's recipe.  It is unique in my limited cooking experience.

Treasure's Meat Loaf

Grind together:

1# ground beef

1# ground pork

1# ground ham

Mix with:

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 or 2 eggs (I guess that's just your choice if you want to use one or two)

1 Cup milk

Oven temp.  300 degrees for 1 - 1 1/2 hours using an automatic timer

or 350 degrees if you're at home and watching it cook.

Don't ya just love old family recipes?  "A little of this, a handful of that.  Bake on a medium heat until done"  I have a recipe that "Feeds six" and it begins:  "Start with .50 of beef..."

The tough part was always finding a butcher that would grind together the three different meats.  The guy my mom used would only make it at the end of the day because the grinder would have to be cleaned before use again.

I always thought it was good as a meatloaf, but GREAT later when sliced for a sandwich.

Angus

2 pounds of ground meat.  At least half of it 80/20 ground beef. The rest can be pork, turkey, chicken.

Run a large onion, 3 or 4 carrots, and a couple of stalks of celery through your grinder fitted with a medium plate or through your food processor and pulse until about the size of barley.  

Put all that in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with either paddle or dough hook. Add about 1 TBS of salt (or the same amount of beef, chicken, or vegetable base) , about 1 tsp of pepper (more or less to taste), about a quarter cup each of your favorite Worcestershire Sauce and tomato paste, two or three eggs, and maybe half a cup of powdered milk.   Blend well.  Add a cup to a cup and a half of bread crumbs, Panko, cracker crumbs, or rolled oats and mix well.  Dump into a bowl, cover and let stand for half an hour.  

Now, lots of people like to form it into loaves on a rimmed baking sheet , if you go that route line it wit two layers of foil.

I like to pack it into loaf pans.  Pack it in tight to about half an inch from the top.  Bake in 375 I've to about 170 internal temperature.  Remove from oven, pour off the fat, if you use a glaze put it on mow and return to oven for 10 to 15 minutes.  I like it glaze of about a cup of catsup, a quarter cup of Dimitri's Bloody Mary seasoning, and a little brown sugar. Remove from pan to a rack over a rimmed sheet to let fat drip off.

Slice and enjoy.

Oh....I usually put some potatoes in the oven when I turn it on.  They are usually done about the time I slice the meatloaf.

Mmmmm Meat loaf. My wife can't eat red meat any longer due to a digestive issue, so we have to use turkey. 

Mine is similar to the above recipes but I add a little extra items to help it taste more like red meat or pork:

Shittake mushroom powder (a friends home grown in a coffee grinder)

A couple shakes of Sage and Paprika 

1-2 tsp of Thai fish sauce (replacement for worchestershire) 

Sometimes I add a little Chinese Hot mustard powder for a horseradish-y style kick 

My sauce Is Ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, and some yellow mustard mixed up

I need to see if I can make a cut down size for one. It will not be birdloaf though.

32 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I need to see if I can make a cut down size for one. It will not be birdloaf though.

Get some small aluminum loaf pans, fill 'em, vac pack 'em, and freeze 'em.

On 4/7/2022 at 6:31 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

First, I like to cook, heck I even have 1000 hours of culinary training.  But because of my back injury I can’t stand for ten minutes and I get meals on wheels delivered almost five days a week. Cafeteria food ain’t bad but sometimes I just crave some good old fashioned American comfort Food cooked right, in this case I decided on meatloaf. I have to plan ahead for this, started getting ingredients last week. Made a barbecue sauce topping last week. Started measuring and prepping yesterday, got my dry ingredients together today, oven is preheating, will soon get serious and mix it all….

Does anyone have a favorite recipe or technique? It’s too far along for me to change but I’d love to read what you do.

Hey Marshal, my wife has a bad hip that needs to be replaced, she has a stool she sits on for when she cooks ( not very often either) or when she has to do something in the kitchen. Just a suggesting if you want to cook more.

On 4/7/2022 at 9:44 AM, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

I do!

Put “Bat Out of Hell” in the CD player!

I'm actually disappointed that this is the nearest to a reference to The Rocky Horror Picture Show in the thread.

"Meatloaf again?"

Howdy,

My mom sometimes   would make two pans. One got baked that day

and one frozen.  

My Aunt Ruby made a similar mix but formed into patties and fried em

in a good black iron skillet.

Her kitchen smelled so wonderful when she made loaf burgers.

I never got her ezact receipe but it was pretty much meatloaf...the one with eggs.

Best

CR

wish I had paid more attention growin up.

Archived