SASS Wire Forum

WTB Western hat/attire

Red shot

13 hours ago, Red shot said:

I am new to cas, I’m looking for old west style hats, but it’s hard to find them in 7 3/4. I’d be interested in looking at other attire as well.

That’s for sure! I had a helluva time getting hats that size! It CAN be done. May have to settle for acceptable instead of period correct.

Worst case, there is always custom, don't know where you are, but easy in the West.  I wear Western hats most of the time outdoors and have several custom made hats I've worn for years.  Law Dog Hats or Rands Hats in Billings.  Usually you have to be measured, but I think I ordered my first one by phone, and it was pretty close when I picked it up.

Check Good will on-Line & Ebay, I found several and got a Stetson for $50. Good Luck

You can stretch a quality hat a size or two by steaming and using a $10 hat stretcher. So 7-1/2 can be had cheap in thrift or on line. Look for 5x or better. Or as mentioned custom. You can get a quality hat that will last years from last best west for about $330. Check them out. Not cheap but the price one pays for being outside the norm. Says the guy who has size 14 feet since the ‘70’s. 

Red,

I sent you a pm

Jax T

I have an old Army or USMC Campaign hat downstairs - I m 7 5/8 and it is too big for me.  You'd have to shape it - whoever wore it had a kinda round head.  Don't know how I'd ship it, and with the new rules it would be expensive.  If you can't find anything better,free for shipping.

That is my hat size as well.  Another Tip, If buying a used hat from questionable source , IE Goodwill,   Put it in the freezer for 24 hours to kill any possible critters that come with the territory.  Worse than Sheepherders I hear. 

Sly 

Check out EBAY there's a few hats that size listed.

D bar J in Neveda or Mikes Hatters in Texas. Expensive but they’ll last a lifetime. My D bar J got soaked at a match and once it dried you couldn’t tell. 

D bar J also sells hats with minor cosmetic flaws at a reduced price but still the same quality construction.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2022 at 9:26 PM, Red shot said:

I am new to cas, I’m looking for old west style hats, but it’s hard to find them in 7 3/4. I’d be interested in looking at other attire as well.

Late on this - looking to replace a ranch hat ran across this they appear to carry a variety (prices &types) in your size. https://www.hatcountry.com/hats/cowboy-hats/fur-cowboy-hats.html?hat_size=672

On 4/6/2022 at 10:26 PM, Red shot said:

https://www.millerhats.com/store/Cowboy_Hats/Cowboy_Hats-SASS_HATS/886_Cordova_Hat

Archived