SASS Wire Forum

Baseball opening day tomorrow

Rye Miles #13621

All the players will wear #42 in honor of Jackie Robinson!

I’ll be watching the Guardians and the Royals. 
Let’s play ball!B)

42 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

At least put on your Chief Wahoo hat and shirt for old times sake.

Can’t wait!!! For awhile I didn’t think it was going to happen but I’m sure glad it’s back.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Let’s play ball!B)

You still want to call them the Tribe, don’t you?:P

How is baseball even still a thing?

The ABSOLUTELY most boring game/ sport/ activity to ever exist.

Golf is scintillating entertainment compared to baseball.

I remember my Grandpa used to listen to games on the radio and fall asleep - I always thought that was because he loved the game so much - I later realized baseball on tv or in person was boring - but baseball on the radio was like mainlining sleeping pills.

Company I used to work for would take us to a major league game twice a year as "team building" - I went one time and made sure I was "sick" or involved in a critical project that I needed to complete EVERY instance after that. 

And when I would rather "work" than attend an all expenses paid trip to the ballpark...

Have I mentioned baseball sucks worse than rank points? :D

56 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

You still want to call them the Tribe, don’t you?:P

They'll always be the Tribe to me.

16 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

As it should be.

1 hour ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I remember my Grandpa used to listen to games on the radio and fall asleep - I always thought that was because he loved the game so much - I later realized baseball on tv or in person was boring - but baseball on the radio was like mainlining sleeping pills.

Company I used to work for would take to a major league game twice a year as "team building" - I went one time and made sure I was "sick" or involved in a critical project that I needed to complete EVERY instsnce after that. 

And when I would rather "work" than attend an all expenses paid trip to the ballpark...

Have I mentioned baseball sucks worse than rank points?

Your opinion is duly noted. ;)
So why open a baseball thread??

We are well aware that many folks neither appreciate nor understand the game

I don’t bother with NASCAR threads. That would waste my time and life is short. I just pass by. :lol:

There are some interesting rule changes this year.The abbreviated spring season foiled my plan to catch some Rockies games down in Arizona. :(

But I will be sitting in front of the tube tomorrow, with a beer and a dog for the first pitch against the Hated Dodgers.  Hope springs eternal.

PLAY BALL!

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I don’t bother with NASCAR threads. That would waste my time and life is short. I just pass by. :lol:

Well, give NASCAR credit for at least running in the same counterclockwise direction as baseball.

But baseball doesn't run nearly enough laps tho.  :blink:

11 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Company I used to work for would take us to a major league game twice a year as "team building" - I went one time and made sure I was "sick" or involved in a critical project that I needed to complete EVERY instance after that. 

None of us baseball fans can give a hoot about what you and other baseball bashers think! Why even comment?

10 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Me too!!!;)

13 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Let’s play ball!B)

When I saw the Rockies were playing the Guardians last month I was briefly confused why they were playing a minor league team. :rolleyes:

My father used to go to NY Yankees games in NYC once in a while and he used to take me.  I remember the first time out I walked out of the overhang onto the seats.   The color of the grass, the brown of the dirt was, to my mind, outstanding.  Saw Mickey and the rest a number of times, but the first time sticks in the memory. 

Opening day here put off to Friday due to lousy weather.  Going to the Sunday Twins/Mariners game.

I read this in today's Wall Street Journal; an opinion piece by Fay Vincent:

My earliest baseball memories date from 1946, when I was 8 and the Boston Red Sox lost the World Series to the St. Louis Cardinals. I recall the sorrow the Sox fans in my New Haven, Conn., neighborhood grimly endured.

World War II had ended a year earlier, and I associated its conclusion with the return home of my beloved uncle Ed from Italy and also with emergence from the odd wartime life of ration books, drawn shades at night and the worries about dangers I barely understood as a child.

Baseball has always meant good times, and when I was taken to a double-header at Yankee Stadium, that represented life’s perfection. In one of my first big-league games, I saw Bojangles Robinson do his celebratory tap dance on top of the Yankee dugout and didn’t understand why it was special, just as I saw Connie Mack in the A’s dugout in a dark suit and didn’t know why my father pointed him out either. I learned only later that much of the baseball experience is not about the game on the field.

Even during World War II, life went on. I learned to read and do arithmetic. FDR told baseball in 1942 to continue play, as Churchill had kept the cinemas open during the savage German bombing of England in 1940. With a new war in Europe, life will go on, and the baseball season opens Thursday.

When baseball resumed on Sept. 21, 2001, after a 1½-week suspension owing to the 9/11 attacks, it was a boost for America’s morale, especially in New York City. I doubt the distraction of baseball will provide more than modest relief from the horrors occurring in Ukraine. Still, distractions become more important in difficult times.

Baseball may be a bit apologetic this week as it tries to get fans to forget the labor battle that was resolved in the very latest inning and delayed the opening by a week. But the games are incapable of failing to provide pleasure.

The designated-hitter rule in the National League isn’t the only big change in the new agreement between team owners and players. It also permits ads on base bags and player uniforms. Owners greed has some limits, and this seems an error. Imagine the historic Yankee uniforms sullied by ads for food and drinks? Where is George Steinbrenner when we need him? No war can keep big stuff like that from being debated.

Mr. Vincent was commissioner of baseball, 1989-92.

3 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

I read this in today's Wall Street Journal; an opinion piece by Fay Vincent:

My earliest baseball memories date from 1946, when I was 8 and the Boston Red Sox lost the World Series to the St. Louis Cardinals. I recall the sorrow the Sox fans in my New Haven, Conn., neighborhood grimly endured.

World War II had ended a year earlier, and I associated its conclusion with the return home of my beloved uncle Ed from Italy and also with emergence from the odd wartime life of ration books, drawn shades at night and the worries about dangers I barely understood as a child.

Baseball has always meant good times, and when I was taken to a double-header at Yankee Stadium, that represented life’s perfection. In one of my first big-league games, I saw Bojangles Robinson do his celebratory tap dance on top of the Yankee dugout and didn’t understand why it was special, just as I saw Connie Mack in the A’s dugout in a dark suit and didn’t know why my father pointed him out either. I learned only later that much of the baseball experience is not about the game on the field.

Even during World War II, life went on. I learned to read and do arithmetic. FDR told baseball in 1942 to continue play, as Churchill had kept the cinemas open during the savage German bombing of England in 1940. With a new war in Europe, life will go on, and the baseball season opens Thursday.

When baseball resumed on Sept. 21, 2001, after a 1½-week suspension owing to the 9/11 attacks, it was a boost for America’s morale, especially in New York City. I doubt the distraction of baseball will provide more than modest relief from the horrors occurring in Ukraine. Still, distractions become more important in difficult times.

Baseball may be a bit apologetic this week as it tries to get fans to forget the labor battle that was resolved in the very latest inning and delayed the opening by a week. But the games are incapable of failing to provide pleasure.

The designated-hitter rule in the National League isn’t the only big change in the new agreement between team owners and players. It also permits ads on base bags and player uniforms. Owners greed has some limits, and this seems an error. Imagine the historic Yankee uniforms sullied by ads for food and drinks? Where is George Steinbrenner when we need him? No war can keep big stuff like that from being debated.

Mr. Vincent was commissioner of baseball, 1989-92.

I doubt we’ll see ads on uniforms and bases! I haven’t heard anything about that.:blink:

I guess we’ll see!

I’m glad the NL allows the DH, at least both leagues are the same now.

19 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Let’s play ball!B)

I’m wrong, all players will wear 42 on April 15 only. Sorry.

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

47 degrees, winds out of the NW at 20 mph and gusting to 32 mph with occasional light rain at Kaufmann Stadium. Brrrr....

Yikes!!!!! The fans look like they’re freezing!!!

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

47 degrees, winds out of the NW at 20 mph and gusting to 32 mph with occasional light rain at Kaufmann Stadium. Brrrr....

Not unusual to gt some snow early in the season at the Rockies games.

13 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Not unusual to gt some snow early in the season at the Rockies games.

A few years ago the Indians opening day game in early April was called after a couple innings because of snow!! :o

On 4/6/2022 at 6:35 PM, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

That's ok.  Baseball is an intelligent person's sport.

Indians, uh sorry....The...... gasp....... Guardians lose to the Royals:(

48 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Indians, uh sorry....The...... gasp....... Guardians lose to the Royals:(

I was looking at scores this morning, couldn't find the score for the Indians game...then I remembered.:(

The Tampa Bay Rays open today at 3:10pm. Looking forward to another year. My prediction 98-66, 1st in the AL East.

Archived