Well hey that looks like a........4.

Chili Ron

Howdy,

I couldnt make out the date on a dime.

I kept looking and looking.

It was a 4.

as in 1948.

Dontcha just love it?

Waitress gave me a bunch of small change cause I didnt tell her  to keep the change.

No quarters or halves.  Just keep throwing me silver dimes ......haha.

Best

CR

and I did give her a decent tip.

Noticed  the 48 at home later....hahahaha.

Mrs. Robstock would pay me every week in mercury dimes . ( paper route )

Couple weeks ago  I went to a gun shop to pick up and pay for something I ordered.

it was 429 plus tax , I previously paid $200 down payment . I paid with two one hundred dollar bills.

i again brought two one hundred dollar bills , I think two twenties a five , and maybe a quarter and a nickel .

i also brought a roll of nickels ( $2 ) , to make up THE exact change . Gave the counter man my receipt and dropped the money on the counter , and told him what I was here to pick up  ( they called to tell me it arrived ).

I immediately noticed and said to him -   You look confused. 

He said something stupid , and in addition- I don’t think I can take that .

i told him - you ARE taking it , I want to see the  manager or owner .

needless to say , I walked out with my paid full in cash purchase .

Didnt care for this young , lazy looking employee the first time .

i bit my tongue , I think he’s lucky I didn’t start telling him the facts of life... his life.

Well the roll of nickels can be a problem, there’s a stupid clause somewhere about “ legal tender for all diets public and private” that stops below silver or what passes for silver coinage these days. It only gets invoked by smart lawyers if you try to pay your alimony with barrel full of Pennie’s and molasses.

but one roll of Nickles should be accepted. A clerk at Walmart would be required to break it open and count them, check for slugs.

No silver for me lately but I have run across small portrait bills of occasion recently. Got a couple $20s even. I'll be keeping them. Even had a buddy find a $10 star note. 

4 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Well the roll of nickels can be a problem, there’s a stupid clause somewhere about “ legal tender for all diets public and private” that stops below silver or what passes for silver coinage these days. It only gets invoked by smart lawyers if you try to pay your alimony with barrel full of Pennie’s and molasses.

but one roll of Nickles should be accepted. A clerk at Walmart would be required to break it open and count them, check for slugs.

I've stopped rolling coins.  The last several times I've tried to use them or deposit them I had to stand there while the clerk broke open the rolls and counted them out.  I guess I really can't blame them.  Lots of folks are out looking to scam the system.  It doesn't get much easier than putting a stack of washers in a roll with a couple coins on the edges.  Although, with prices now the washers might be worth more than the coins.

Now I just carry the loose change in my pocket and count it out at the register.

Angus

I have a mug I dump change into, when it gets to a certain level I pour it into an old bank bag and take it to the Credit Union.  They run it through a counter and it usually comes out to a nice dinner out for the two of us.  Haven't seen a silver coin in change for quite a while, but I keep looking.

Got a U. S. Virgin Island quarter a while back. The obverse looks like a regular U. S. two bit piece, but the reverse is a wildly different design.  I gave it to a friend who recently bought a retirement home in the USVA (No income taxes if you spend a certain amount of time there every year.)

Archived