SASS Wire Forum

Kudos to CZ

Rip Snorter

Lucked into a CZ Coach Gun the Gun shop hadn't even unpacked.  Bought it on the spot.  Well made, nicely finished and fitted but very stiff.  I took it home, oiled it up with Militec, loaded some snap caps and worked with it on and off for a couple of weeks.  Not much improvement.  Spoke to CZ customer service a couple of times and they sent me a return label for FedEx. Shipped it the morning of March 17.  They acknowledged with a notification of 4 - 6 week turnaround.  Fair enough.  The customer service rep had told me that they had no shotgun custom shop and that they would prioritize my repair / return.  Well, they did - I got it back yesterday, a week earlier than the shortest time predicted. Not perfect but much improved trigger pull and the break is easier.  I'd guess they sent it to their rifle shop.  Have rifles from them and have always been pleased with quality and performance.  Though this was contracted through Huglu, they stood behind heir brand. Kudos!

From what I've heard this seems to be common for CZ customer service rather than the exception

I've been very happy with my Bobwhite G2 SxS

3 hours ago, czhen said:

CZ fan since I was born. So far, very tiny times the brand disappoints me, mostly with old surplus in diverse models.   

Back when I was shooting a lot of IPSC in the 80's the hot shot shooters loved the CZ75 I think it was to built .38 Supers (maybe they came that way). Never had one myself, but they felt great. High capacity and the Super would make major caliber pretty easily with less recoil than the .45 with larger capacity. Back then they were prone to breakage. Guys I knew that shot them had 2 or 3 kinda like junker cars where they could have one that ran while the others were in the shop. Didn't give me a burning desire for one. Can't say I ever heard such with their long guns.

JHC

I shot a Colt Super from the '50's that I built up - new barrel & bushing, new sights, trigger and Swenson Ambi safety.  Shot relatively hot loads and never managed to break it.  A good gun, I even won a couple of local things using it.  I think they have changed the rules, though I'm years out of touch.  I don't think you are permitted to make Major with Super anymore.

2 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Used to shoot a CZ85 in the '80's and '90's in IPSC.

Really like this CZ that I got only literally weeks ago......its still pretty tight though.

407200469_SNY01955copy.thumb.jpg.1543f2ee04139eb427b4d93c2f50f15e.jpg

592038589_SNY01958copy.thumb.jpg.705e984e22308f5c366f3d438ec4cecd.jpg

149792095_SNY01959copy.thumb.jpg.c68ff8a92408d35da4d25b4d01b6d4f8.jpg

123622370_SNY01960copy.thumb.jpg.fa1166d497b8e8fae355b510147034f7.jpg

1354474912_SNY01962copy.thumb.jpg.98e04f8b417a21bce932a76e7735ec43.jpg

719814624_SNY01964copy.thumb.jpg.72a6c6489533725c4be62b257f2f3627.jpg

272258193_SNY01965copy.thumb.jpg.6664be3aad4c57ce8c5f1c2501daab2a.jpg

1253002434_SNY01966copy.thumb.jpg.37d0c15005e2d7d90a41cfcdd8f68705.jpg

Mine is nice, but your Case coloring and wood are nicer - production values about the same. Now that CZ has done their best for me, I'm going to work on the irons a bit.  If I can't get it smooth enough for SASS, I can swap it along.

2 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Mines loosened up somewhat, but its still fairly stiff to open. I can easily cock both hammers with the palm of my off hand and the triggers feel nice. 

Not a chance of that, I suppose I've become enfeebled in old age! 

11 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Rip are you planning on any slicking up of yours? Do you know what CZ did when they had yours back? Is it easier to open now?

Probably only fired 200 shells in mine so far.

They polished the rear bite on the barrels and lightened the trigger pulls.  It is considerably easier to open and the trigger pull is good.  I'm not into game guns.  All have to be utterly reliable with any ammunition - same rule for my Bullseye guns.  Got it back yesterday, very windy and on the cold side both yesterday & today.  Will put a box through it tomorrow if the weather cooperates with the forecast.

It came with the crappy steel buttplate held on with flathead Philipps screws.  I am looking for a good classic buttplate and proper screws.  I replaced them before on other firearms so no problem.  I have to contact NC Ordinance - I think I can Fax them a scan or send a PDF.

1 minute ago, Rip Snorter said:

It came with the crappy steel buttplate held on with flathead Philipps screws.  I am looking for a good classic buttplate and proper screws.  I replaced them before on other firearms so no problem.  I have to contact NC Ordinance - I think I can Fax them a scan or send a PDF.

Yes my buttplate had Philipps screws too, beautiful well made shotgun and they use a couple of one cent Philipps head screws.

Even the Screws on mine were Slotted  and Time perfectly like all the rest of the screws, on the gun.

First rate Work seldom seen on even high end guns form Italy, now a days.

My is the "Cowboy Delux" model ...

But it was on the stiff side to open, and hammer springs are heavier than needed.

But overall I am super impressed, I will be using it a lot more this year if COVID stays in Check...

Jabez Cowboy

I don't want to give anyone any bad ideas but how tight the barrels open is primarily determined by the distance from the back of the barrel lug to the high point of the curved section of the receiver.

DSC_0003.thumb.jpeg.4bd49ba4c1b8bf5731fa2aa686efd475.jpeg

The forearm iron bears on the back of the lug and pushes the forearm towards the receiver.  (The left arrow is where contact is made with the barrel lug.)

DSC_0006.thumb.jpeg.17912b2068610718e50f0aea669384aa.jpeg

On competition grade shotguns like this Perazzi the forearm has a replaceable insert in it to adjust barrel tension.   As the gun wears this insert can be replaced with one that is SLIGHTLY thicker.  Some of these are measured in ten thousands (.0001) so a little bit of "adjustment" can make a big difference in how tight the barrel to receiver fit is.

DSC_0010.thumb.jpeg.05c669a40f7988d2d303a98f06d58332.jpeg

Opening and closing a new gun numerous times can help smooth the surfaces between the barrels and frame and make things a little better but that is not the best way to loosen the fit between the forearm and receiver.  For the guns used in SASS firing it a couple of hundred times also helps a little but after that any further improvement requires adjusting the forearm fit.

Archived