SASS Wire Forum

In the Outback .................

Buckshot Bear

Those are all 50-2 1/2 Sharps. This was when I was doing some load development the ones on the left have 110gr of Fg the ones to the right are 135gr of Fg with a 715gr bullet. 

since I can’t get Old Eynsford any longer I get to start over again with Swiss 1.5F. 

The picture below is a 45-70, 50-2/12 brass the 715gr bullet and a 44-40 for size comparison  848CE764-B387-4FED-8100-98B9D814F1B8.thumb.jpeg.7b86fcdaa7c44966a15ab28aa0c32a58.jpeg

The Outback is dry as a bone they say

It’s a dusty and forsaken space

Like old Arizona way back in the day

But with Roos gettin up in your face

Now the Never Never is no place for me

I want more than a Billabong pool

To quench this large thirst that I usually have

But no Foster’s thank you. I’m no fool

37 minutes ago, The Blarney Kid said:

Hey, Buckshot are you gonna try those out at the Quigley? Those 715 gr. bullets should make a good clang.

Well they made the 550 yard Bison at EOT swing enough you could see it move without a spotting scope. The Bison is 4 feet by 2.5 feet made of either 3/8 or 1/2” plate. You could clearly hear the hit even with good plugs in. 

Yep. I use 500 gr. in my 45-70 for the Quigley. The targets range from 350 to 805 yds. You need fairly heavy bullets to buck the wind in eastern Montana.

2 hours ago, The Blarney Kid said:

Hey, Buckshot are you gonna try those out at the Quigley? Those 715 gr. bullets should make a good clang.

26 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

715gn !!!

Just one more reason why metric is a lousy idea. You don't know whether that gr is grains or grams. We know. It's grains. How do we know?

Because we don't do metric. :P:P

1905872331_BronxCheerwet.gif.98e78c4b471f4dabf90b0224dac1e321.gif

20 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Just one more reason why metric is a lousy idea. You don't know whether that gr is grains or grams. We know. It's grains. How do we know?

...... let's see ....... fingers and toes .... the original "metric system" ....

....... U.S. $ ........ a close second .......

:ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

...... let's see ....... fingers and toes .... the original "metric system" ....

....... U.S. $ ........ a close second .......

:ph34r:

It signaled the end of the Empire when the Brits abandoned the Gill.

20 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

In the Outback after rain .................

254301881_269011991835634_8777459872858776628_n.jpg.848a88b0f0c8adb12c34d98cd84e370c.jpg

Just wait until the croc's see them lapping up water...then the fun begins!!!

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

But your military does :) ..................................................because its better :) 

21 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

But your military does :) ..................................................because its better :) 

Our military uses metric so they can talk to the rest of the world, because the rest of the world cannot comprehend that there are 5,280 feet in a mile, or that there are 12 inches in a foot. If they can't count it on their fingers they don't know how to do it.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Our military uses metric so they can talk to the rest of the world, because the rest of the world cannot comprehend that there are 5,280 feet in a mile, or that there are 12 inches in a foot. If they can't count it on their fingers they don't know how to do it.

And your wine in 750ml bottles? Is that to keep drunks on their toes and exercise their remaining brain cells :) :) :) :) 

Any knuckle-dragging mouth breather can see the metric system is better. We’re just stubborn and determined to hang on with our cold dead fingers to the the archaic system the Founding Fathers used. :lol:

There are two reasons that the liquor industry went metric.

First, since the rest of the world is metric, it makes it real difficult to buy quarts and fifths of booze. You want a bottle of French wine? It comes in 750 ml, not a fifth.

The second reason is they discovered they could make more money, because except for the quart (which is now a liter - 33.1 Oz instead of 32) all the metric sizes are slightly smaller. So they put less booze in the bottle, but charge the same price.

A fifth, which is 4/5 of a quart or 1/5 of a gallon (that's where the name came from) is 25.6 Oz. 750 ml, on the other hand, is 25.3 Oz. Wooooow. 0.3 ounce difference. But if you fill up a million bottles, that's 300,000 Oz. Almost 9,500 quart bottles, at 25 bucks a bottle (which is pretty cheap) is $234,000.

Archived