SASS Wire Forum

I can't locate any "Dirty Denim" trousers

Mustang Gregg

I have been trying to locate some trousers made of what they call "DIRTY DENIM".

Some old timers call the material oilskin or oily canvas.

This stuff was popular 10+ years back.

My favorite Old Western store hasn't been able to find any for me.

And I cannot even find the plain material in fabric stores these days.

I posted a picture of what it looks like below.

Much obliged,

Mustang

Dirty denim.jpg

Filson tincloth, it lasts forever which is good because it will take that long to pay off the second mortgage you need to buy it. 

Thanks, Pard!  Yes, I reckon that is the right material. 

I will do more looking on what info you posted.

STAY TUNED!

Much obliged,

Mustang

i saved that as well , as expensive as they are they are worth it , same with the filson coats - i forgot about those - wear forever and just feel better over time , 

@Mustang Gregg - the material you’re looking for is waxed canvas which can be had in various weights. My wife made me a ship apron out of some this winter; lined the back with denim. Those Filson pants are the ticket if you’ve got longhandles on underneath and they never need washing :lol:!  We have a fabric shop that sells the material in a few colors and weights; I’m sure you could search same and just have a pair made from a pattern by a seamstress or whatever. 

On 4/5/2022 at 7:50 PM, Buckshot Sheridan said:

Filson tincloth, it lasts forever which is good because it will take that long to pay off the second mortgage you need to buy it. 

From my earliest years comes a memory of my dad's old tin coat.  It was already old when I first saw it and I think Dad told me he bought it when he was working as a marker for the Frazer River Lumber Company in Oregon before he married Mon in 1938.

Dad died in in 1989 and my brother-in-law asked for it, so I let him have it.

About six years ago he wanted to know if either of my kids wanted it.  They didn't, so his middle son got it, and he just retired and his son now has it.

It's old, shapeless, dirty and stained, and has been re-oiled a few times, but it's still serviceable and doing duty on a farm in Snowville, Utah where some of the winters are extremely cold and often wet.

The only other things still in the family that is that old is a red Pendleton"Chief's Blanket"  with black stripes that I had the stitching on one end re-done four years back.  It's getting thin and is is faded and stained, but it's still my go-to blanket when I'm working in my shop and the heater out there just isn't enough....

....and I have Dad's old Steven pump shotgun (long since retired) and his Remington Model 8 rifle that I last shot last summer before the winds came.

Both Filson and Pendleton are still in business.  I bought a 80% wool, 20% something synthetic Pendleton shirt a couple of years ago for 90 something dollars.  I've worn it some over two winters and it still looks like a brand new shirt.

Remington is still around, but I don't think Stevens is any more.

I’ve got a number of things from Filson over the years. Sadly like too many companies they now make very little in the US. The price is as just as high and continues to rise on the things they have made elsewhere while the quality isn’t what it used to be. 

Archived