SASS Wire Forum

God was with me again in an accident

Trigger Mike

You may recall in February a tow rope slam thru my tractor windows, barely missing my head.  Yesterday I was riding my honda pioneer 1000.  a side by side.  We had all been at the cabin fishing.  I took a spin around the property before doing chores.  As i drove fast thru a turn, the vehicle flipped.  My son says it rolled 1 and a half times.  I realized I was on my side.  I recall calling my 16 year old son as he was nearest.  He asked if I was stuck i said no but had flipped and bleeding.   I don't remember much after that.  He said he found me several feet from my vehicle in a daze.  He took me to the house in his side by side.  He ran into the house and told my wife i was hurt and needed the hospital .  She freaked out , didn't know what to do.  He told her to follow him to the hospital .  He put me in his truck.  I recall some things in his truck, like asking what day it was as I was worried it was saturday and needed to preach the next day.  I also recall taking my pistols off and putting them in the middle console.  I remember trying to do it again several times as I kept forgetting i had done it.  He said i scared him as I kept repeating everything over and over.

He pulled up to the E R .  I recall getting out of the truck.  I don't recall anything else until i got to a bed.  I was told later he took my drivers license out and gave it to the receptionist and got me seated.  By the time they took me back my wife showed up.  He stayed in the waiting room with my 10 year old daughter, then went to move his truck and it wouldn't start, so he called a tow truck and had it sent to the ford dealer , taking my guns out before the driver took it away, causing the driver to chuckle.  He then got my wife's keys and took my daughter home and also got his 12 year old brother who was at someone else's house.  He took them home, then about supper time he took them to chik fil a and got them all and got his parents a sandwich .  about that time .  My wife called him to tell we were about ready so he was at the door to take us home.  

Meanwhile the hospital said my swollen left hand was not broken, my massively swollen head would be alright, the bruise on my leg was not broken.  I was sent home with prescriptions for the swelling and pain.  I got a stitch near my ear.  While there I was often out of my head and out of character .  i kept weeping thinking about my other daughter who still hasn't come home yet.  I was loud and kept saying a bump is better than a hole in the head.  I told the nurse my wife won't like you taking my pants off, she said her husband won't either.  

You can be pretty dang proud of your son. Hope you mend soon.

You have quite a young man!  Truly!

But on the dash of your Pioneer is that little red seat belt icon that flashes when a driver or passenger is not buckled in.  The belts and the roll bars are intended to supplement your head-gear to save your life and limb in a rollover. 

Need I say more?  

I have the same rig, although I use it only for ranch work and never have felt the urge to drive it fast --and it will go fast! 

But your story here is a wake-up call for me.  I've seldom buckled the belt or worn proper headgear.  Thank you for sharing, and I hope you get a speedy and complete recovery.  Pls also  share with your son the positive comments made here about him and his family emergency performance.  

Weeping is much better than what the outcome could have been. Hoping you heal quickly.

Dang.

You should be in concussion protocols. Turn off the phone, computer and TV and dim the lights. Minimize stimulation for a few days and let your brain heal!

4 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I will.  One side effect of my head injury is suddenly I weep whenever I talk about what my son did.  I was not a weepy guy EVER before the wreck.  

That goose egg wasn't the only thing to well up, huh??

Count your blessings!

Some years ago, I tackhammered myself with the ATV while spraying weeds. Was going slow and being careful, maybe tired or inattentive.  Escaped without serious injury, tho I hobbled around for a couple of weeks. Got a UTV with a cage PDQ.  Farm / Ranch work is high on the dangerous list.  I've been very careful and have enjoyed several uneventful years.  You might want to up the protective gear and lighten up a little.  Third time, who knows. All the best for a swift & complete recovery!

I am so glad you are in one piece.
My RN daughter talks about all the bike accidents she says in her hospital.
Where the guy is on the gurney, and his arm/leg/foot is on the shelf below.

My good friend lost his wife to one of those.
It flipped, landed on her chest, and she died in his arms.

10 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

You should be in concussion protocols. Turn off the phone, computer and TV and dim the lights. Minimize stimulation for a few days and let your brain heal!

Yep.  Slept most of yesterday,  tried to do more today but went slept around 11 am and this afternoon.   Now power is out so easier to stay in the dark.  Signing off again shortly 

PA had my bandages changed today and gave me more pills to last 5 more days.  Told my wife it looked to him she is lucky I survived.   She has been great.  She puts toothpaste on my brush, opens the pill bottles for me.  I can shower one side so she takes a rag to the other side.  I still get weepy when I talk about my son and tear up thanking her sometimes.   Not like me at ALL.  

I had ordered a hunting rifle that was on sale $400 off, and it came the day of my accident.   Today she drove me to the dealer to get it and carried it to the car for me.  It doesn't get any better than that.   

I had already bought a s & w knife that goes with the model 325 45acp revolver that my son loves and wants.  I gave him the knife for his good work and he asked if it meant he got the revolver too and I said yes.  I will keep it in the safe but anytime you want it,  just tell me. 

I still hurt and can tell if my pill is late, but more energy now and the PA said I can do whatever I feel like trying.   

Thanks for the update. Prayers for continued healing and progress. You have a great family there.

Michigan Slim speaks truly about concussion protocols.
Your experience is a powerful one, your son's actions are most commendable: when the young show themselves to be strong, show themselves to keep a level head when it just hit the fan, you know with no doubt a'tall you did well in raising him!

Standing up on my Prayer Bones for your continued healing, and with words of thanks for your son!

I agree.  i need to rethink the things I am doing.  Matter of fact , i went to the scene of the crime today and even though we had hard rain, you can still see different marks in the ground.  The P.A told my wife she is lucky I made it, my son thinks, based on the evidence he saw that day, I rolled more than once.  The dump bed won't close , nor will the drivers door. the spot light in the middle of the front grill is broke from the mounts.  The roll cage seems out of place.  I thought I was only going around 25 at the time, like usual.  It usually drifts in that turn and I always pulled it out, the tires must have caught traction on me or something.  As I heal I see more injuries.  A bruise on both thighs, left hip, left back left shoulder, left arm, left elbow, left hand swollen jaw bone at hinge, cuts on left side of the face, swollen head and forehead, cut with a stitch behind the ear, bump behind the left ear, bump on top of head, sore at right base of skull.  Bruise inside left ear.  still pockets of memory loss of the event, sometimes I will say something, and a few minutes latter forget I already said it and say it again.  Still weepy when I talk about my son.  I sleep fine during the day, but some nights do not sleep much at all.  I don't have the appetite I did before hand.  Last nights power outage for 5 hours did not help as I had to fix the generator as it malfunctioned, but did take my son with me to help.  

You've been through a lot lately. I followed the tale of your wayward daughter with concern, and even made a comment or two. 

Something positive you can take from this is that whatever the situation with her, your son's action proves that you are doing something right. Sometimes it doesn't take, but you can be assured that your doing your part. 

This incident might well be what opens her eyes to what she almost lost, and might bring her back to you. 

Good luck and good fortune.

Archived