SASS Wire Forum

Possible solution to the Everglades python problem…

3 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

It looks to me that raccoons would play a big role.  They are very numerous and eat all kinds of eggs and everything else including gator eggs

Well, they never managed to make a dent in the gator population so I don’t think their impact will be significant. They’re also hell on sea turtle nests but the main cause of the decline in sea turtles was hunting to near extinction and nowadays loss of nesting habitat as the coastline has been extensively developed. 
I’m afraid the Python invasion will eventually have a very deleterious effect on the ecosystem of the Everglades.

1 minute ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Make it open season and no limit.  Let folks keep and sell the hides.

I think that's already the situation. It doesn't help, because there are very few people who want to hunt pythons in swamps. Then go back for more.

I think they have bounties, but some folks will know the answer to that.

My next door neighbor is a professional python hunter who's paid by the state of Florida every minute he's in the glades whether he's hunting or not. He's been on Swamp People numerous times taking their crew snake hunting. I've been down there with him several times and we've bagged multiple pythons over 15 feet and dozens that were small to midsized. The problem with the Python infestation is the Federal Government. They will not allow anyone onto the federal areas of the glades. We had a Fed literally follow us around while we skirted one area of federal land just hoping we would cross onto it so he could take action. Since there are areas that cannot be hunted there will always be an issue. If you had been down to the glades before Hurricane Andrew in 1992 and then go there now it's already a different place. The pythons are apex predators that breed huge lots multiple times per year. They are so over populated that they have literally wiped out numerous species of rabbits, birds, and other small animals. The pythons and gators are now attacking each other.  The pic is Bill with one of the snakes we caught. BTW Bill is 6'5" and about 270lbs if that tells you just how big that snake really is

Bill.PNG

14 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Wanna get rid of pythons?

Make it open season and no limit.  Let folks keep and sell the hides.

Print up and give away cookbooks showing the swampers tasty dishes made with them.

You can't eat them. The Mercury content in the meat will make you sick.

They do have bounties and you can kill as many as you want everyday, all day, 365 days per year. 

U of M even pays top dollar for some of the really big ones.

That happened in India back in the days of the British colonial Raj.  Cobras were a menace so the gummit placed a bounty on them. Lots and lots and lots of cobras were brought in and lots of bounties paid. Then they started finding snake farms all over the place breeding the critters just fir the bounty.  No system cannot be scammed. 

Seamus

9 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I think that's already the situation. It doesn't help, because there are very few people who want to hunt pythons in swamps. Then go back for more.

I think they have bounties, but some folks will know the answer to that.

all we need is a reality show - it will happen real quick , 

9 hours ago, John E. Law said:

My next door neighbor is a professional python hunter who's paid by the state of Florida every minute he's in the glades whether he's hunting or not. He's been on Swamp People numerous times taking their crew snake hunting. I've been down there with him several times and we've bagged multiple pythons over 15 feet and dozens that were small to midsized. The problem with the Python infestation is the Federal Government. They will not allow anyone onto the federal areas of the glades. We had a Fed literally follow us around while we skirted one area of federal land just hoping we would cross onto it so he could take action. Since there are areas that cannot be hunted there will always be an issue. If you had been down to the glades before Hurricane Andrew in 1992 and then go there now it's already a different place. The pythons are apex predators that breed huge lots multiple times per year. They are so over populated that they have literally wiped out numerous species of rabbits, birds, and other small animals. The pythons and gators are now attacking each other.  The pic is Bill with one of the snakes we caught. BTW Bill is 6'5" and about 270lbs if that tells you just how big that snake really is

Bill.PNG

quit takin photos with live ones - the only good one is a dead one , 

and yes - govment regs of chit that dont matter is part of the problem as well , im not one for lawless abandon , but quit harassing innocent forks 

On 4/6/2022 at 1:18 AM, watab kid said:

all we need is a reality show - it will happen real quick , 

The reality show Swamp People dedicated half a season to it with Bill taking them. Bill has been trying to get a show for years now,  he had one on outdoor network until they got cut off. 

On 4/6/2022 at 1:20 AM, watab kid said:

quit takin photos with live ones - the only good one is a dead one , 

and yes - govment regs of chit that dont matter is part of the problem as well , im not one for lawless abandon , but quit harassing innocent forks 

The Universities pay more for the extra large live ones. 

I am waiting for the climate change ads that say "Things are so bad pythons in Florida are dying". This will be the day we know for sure that lead in the water has made put America on Full Retard. :lol:

Archived