SASS Wire Forum

Open carry

Randingo

I've concealed carried for years.  But about six months ago I started carrying open.  I wear my .357 in a cross draw .  I was tired of feeling like I had to hide it.  Since the change, I've had dozen's of complements and not one complaint.  I've actually had several people say thank you.  In church our security team is now open carrying.

How do you carry?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mostly consealed, figure if the bad guy can see it, I might be the first target.

Concealed all the way! Even though Open Carry is legal in Ohio I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers. Besides I don't want anyone to know I'm carrying! It's a personal choice, I have no problem at all with open carry it's just not for me.

The good thing though with open carry being legal however is that you don't have to worry about getting bagged for your  piece showing if you reach up and your cover shirt raises up exposing the firearm.

42 minutes ago, Randingo said:

I've concealed carried for years.  But about six months ago I started carrying open.  I wear my .357 in a cross draw .  I was tired of feeling like I had to hide it.  Since the change, I've had dozen's of complements and not one complaint.  I've actually had several people say thank you.  In church our security team is now open carrying.

How do you carry?

Which gun?  The j frame and the derringer are pretty much always concealed.  The Colt Commander is most of the time, but not always, which leads to....

22 minutes ago, Ranger Dan said:

I hate tiny little guns... just can't conceal a full size pistol, so I don't bother.

At 190 lbs I could easily conceal a Commander model 1911.  At 160 it's a bit harder, but with a good belt, appropriate holster, and appropriate outerwear it can be done. 

1 minute ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Open carry is against the law in Massachusetts.

Condolences.  Come on down to Georgia where your constitutional rights still mean something. 

When in the United States I only carry open in the woods. I carry concealed otherwise.

I do not wish to be a  target or attract undue attention to myself in public.

Concealed carry with a 1911 or Beretta 92 Compact takes some effort and a selection of holsters, but that's what I do. 

In order to accommodate that in the high summer I switch to a Glock 43.  I switched bask to larger pistols after finding

that my tired old eyes really hate a small gun and I struggle with a RDO on guns.  9-10 months of the year I can

dress to conceal a full size gun.

Very rarely do I open carry as I do not want to give up my only advantage, being concealed.  Since the bad guy(s) have

the advantage of initiating the event, the least I can do is regain some advantage by carrying concealed.

I don't worry about occasionally "flashing" if I am reaching for a top shelf item in the store, I just wait around for a

mostly empty aisle, or pinch my jacket tighter. 

I've been to the farmers markets and other public events where someone carries open, I make it a point to stay away

from them, they draw a lot of eyes and even some reactions; by being away from them I find myself away from the

center of everyone else's attention - enhanced concealment by distraction and misdirection. 

SC

Over the 3,976 discussions we’ve had here on this I believe I have made my preference for concealed carry well known, except for here on the property of course. ;)

I carried openly for 30 years. But in uniform only.

I am a Hobbit sized guy but with the variety of cc holsters available these days I am still able to carry a 1911 in relative comfort.

48 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Over the 3,976 discussions we’ve had here on this I believe I have made my preference for concealed carry well known, except for here on the property of course. ;)

I carried openly for 30 years. But in uniform only.

I am a Hobbit sized guy but with the variety of cc holsters available these days I am still able to carry a 1911 in relative comfort.

I believe you miscounted. That one wasn’t a discussion. It was an argument. :rolleyes:

55 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Had no idea.

Carried a Glock 19 concealed for many years.  Recent shoulder injury and surgery made it difficult to draw from the concealed position.  I can pull the cross draw faster and don't have to worry about my shirt or jacket.  I see no reason to hide it.  Your training has more to do with surviving a gun fight than does carry position.  

2 minutes ago, Randingo said:

Had no idea.

Carried a Glock 19 concealed for many years.  Recent shoulder injury and surgery made it difficult to draw from the concealed position.  I can pull the cross draw faster and don't have to worry about my shirt or jacket.  I see no reason to hide it.  Your training has more to do with surviving a gun fight than does carry position.  

I agree. But it’s my considered opinion that open carry starts you off at a disadvantage in a potential gunfight.

I almost always carry concealed. Either OWB in a Safariland ALS holster,or IWB in a basic Kydex holster. Nothing at all against open carry or those who feel comfortable doing it regularly, I just don't like feeling exposed and want to retain the element of surprise. 

When I do open carry, it's usually while hiking or camping.

I’ve open carried for nearly thirty years now, for the most part.  I conceal in situations where open carry or carry at all are prohibited!  I’ll not be caught needing and not having!!

As far as being “the center of attention” , I’m finding more and more that if I don’t make a big deal out of it, few people even notice and those that do are usually good to better with it.  Since I don’t often attend public functions, I have no qualms with staying on the periphery of such gatherings which gives me the advantage of seeing the crowd and any outliers that maybe don’t belong.  I “case the room” when I enter a restaurant or business and always choose a corner facing the entrance when being seated.  I do it automatically anymore, making it something that I don’t even think about nowadays.  I occasionally remind myself that the habit doesn’t make it less important to be circumspect.  Even if it’s automatic, it should never become routine.

The longer that I have open carried, the more unremarkable it has become in those places that I frequent. This to the point of some folks asking me where my sidearm is if I carry concealed!

THIS IS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE IN A FREE NATION!!!

If I choose to carry, it will be concealed, no exceptions.  The element of surprise give one the upper hand and I like remaining anonymous within a crowd.  To each their own.....

I carry a full size P320 and/or full size 5" 1911 Ronin.  Both concealed.

I carry in the small of my back and have no problem with them 'printing'.

A good friend of mine carries concealed on the hip (full size P320) and another compact pistol in his boot.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I’ve open carried for nearly thirty years now, for the most part.  I conceal in situations where open carry or carry at all are prohibited!  I’ll not be caught needing and not having!!

As far as being “the center of attention” , I’m finding more and more that if I don’t make a big deal out of it, few people even notice and those that do are usually good to better with it.  Since I don’t often attend public functions, I have no qualms with staying on the periphery of such gatherings which gives me the advantage of seeing the crowd and any outliers that maybe don’t belong.  I “case the room” when I enter a restaurant or business and always choose a corner facing the entrance when being seated.  I do it automatically anymore, making it something that I don’t even think about nowadays.  I occasionally remind myself that the habit doesn’t make it less important to be circumspect.  Even if it’s automatic, it should never become routine.

The longer that I have open carried, the more unremarkable it has become in those places that I frequent. This to the point of some folks asking me where my sidearm is if I carry concealed!

Well said.

I think the fact that we all carry is a great thing.  Never allow yourself to be the victim!!

Behind enemy lines here in CA, my thoughts are "concealed".
This is to avoid the inevitable conflict with some clod who feels he has to challenge a guy who is open carrying.

Here in Sacramento, a legal open carry of a handgun is no match for the felon with an illegal open carry fully automatic machine gun.

I work at a bank in rural Louisiana and we have a nice lady store owner that comes in doing open carry. I told her we support her decision but just remember that when a bad person sees her weapon advertised then she is drawing attention to her.  i told her she is more or less saying “Shoot Me First”

By concept, open carry is a entertaining notion, but a short lived one.

There is no reason to bring unnecessary attention to oneself.

- walk down the street, cops see you, your not breaking the law but they take note.

- nosey old lady down the street sees you, calls the cops, now they are obligated to pull you over to verify everything is on the up and up.

- thug at the end of the block needs a gun and now he now where to get one.

If I were disposed to open carry as a general practice, I'd armor up.  Different in rural Montana, most pickups will have something useful on board, and by association, kinda like the Kevin Bacon thing, everybody knows or knows about local folks, good & bad.

5 hours ago, Randingo said:

I've had dozen's of complements and not one complaint.  I've actually had several people say thank you.  In church our security team is now open carrying.

How do you carry?

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I have to agree with the two posters I've quoted. I open carry nearly every day, and my experiences are very similar to the above. 

I carry a 1911, and get compliments 'most every day, thanked too. 

As for "Attracting Attention", and saying "Shoot Me First", I disagree with the premise. Like Blackwater, I've been open carrying for 30 years with no problems. Your average "Bad Guy" is a coward. Ask any LEO here: IF they see your gun, they're not going to "Shoot Me First", they are going to LEAVE the vicinity, they WON'T engage you in a gunfight, just so that they can THEN rob the 7-11. 

I consider open carry to be Victim Prevention. 

We hear it all the time,"Well, if you open carry you are the target!!!!!"

Does anyone have actual statistics on that?  I do recall ONE incident that made the news of a guy who was carrying openly and was mugged and his gun was taken.  If it is as common as claimed the press would have it in all the headlines and politicians would be pontificating pompously about how dangerous it is.

Archived