SASS Wire Forum

I just had a profound ponder

Alpo

You're not allowed to have a knife at school, right? They catch you with a knife, instead of spanking you and confiscating the knife (which is what they would have done when I was in school) they call the police and have you arrested for having a weapon in school.

Does that mean they don't have knives in home ec anymore? Knives are a major part of cooking.

Being old and all, I can recall the teacher asking the boys in a grade school class who had a jack knife she could use, most of us did.  The male teachers first encountered in JR HS usually didn't ask. they had their own. Can't recall when it changed, but most men of all classes had a small knife for daily use as a tool for a very long time.

29 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Does that mean they don't have knives in home ec anymore? Knives are a major part of cooking.

That presumes that schools still teach home economics or wood shop, although that might vary from state to state.

Do they even have Home Ec anymore? I know our local school doesn’t.

30 minutes ago, Alpo said:

You're not allowed to have a knife at school, right? They catch you with a knife, instead of spanking you and confiscating the knife (which is what they would have done when I was in school) they call the police and have you arrested for having a weapon in school.

When Ellie was a Para at the school, one good kid that tended to feeding the critters in the morning used a pocket knife to cut hay bail strings. Apparently he forgot to take the knife out of his pocket and it fell out when he folded his jeans in gym. 1 year in a special school for bad kids. Ellie felt real bad for the poor kid. It's the out of hand.

I carried a pocket knife throughout Jr and Sr high school. A friend of mine carried a fixed blade knife in a sheath through high school. Never any problems.

My Dad used to take a .22 rifle to school, as did other teens, to hunt after school on the way home. They even had a rifle rack just for the purpose. There was no problems. This was in Bartow, Florida which was a pretty laid back town and still (to some extent) is today.

I knife everyone had most trucks in High school Parking lot had a rifle or shotgun in back window.  Its so bad now that not only can you not have a Knife, the ROTC cant wear a Rife Qual badge so they dont offend anyone.  It goes further than that The VA here will have you removed from Property if you are carrying a Lighter .

I drove a 49 Chevy PU to school that had no door locks.  My shotgun and rifle hung in the gun rack every day.  No one ever complained.  No one ever got shot.  We live in a much different world now.  Very sad!!

I don't remember ever going to school without a knife and after I get to high school a lot of guns were in he parking lot and the RORC had ocer a hundred fully functional guns, including machine guns.

Senior were allowed to check out M-1 Garands and carbines and a box of ammo on weekends.  Just had to have it back in the armory before classes started and have it thoroughly cleaned by MSgt Woolums' standard before you left the campus.

I knew a half dozen kids who didn't have a gun for various reasons who hunted deer and elk with a US Rifle Caliber .30, M-1, and a few who hunted rabbits with the .22 target rifles.

I drove a '58 F100 to HS. I had a shotgun in it, for small game hunting before school, in small game season. And, a rifle in it later in the year for deer hunting, after school, in deer season.  

Near me, a local high school student was suspended and faced further disciplinary action for having left a butterfly knife on the seat of his unoccupied and locked car. Apparently another student noticed it when walking thru the parking lot and reported it. Although no laws were broken, the car was parked on school property which triggered the districts "zero tolerance" response for "weapons". The young man had zero prior disciplinary issues.

In a separate incident, a local 5th grade girl was suspended for playing with an Airsoft pistol in her school parking lot on a Sunday afternoon. A neighbor reported a "child with a gun" to police who came and investigated and found no problems as far they were concerned. The school district (same as above) thought otherwise and suspended this honor student under their "zero tolerance" policy on guns on school property.

Not new just worse.  Had to be 25 years ago my son and a friend were playing with cap guns in a park across from our house.  A "Neighbor" reported it and a squad car drove across the grass to where they were playing.  Officer got out with considerable attitude.  My wife was working in the rose garden, walked across the street and addressed the policeman.  "Can you handle a pair of ten year olds or would you like back up."  Needless to say, no unfortunate effects other than that I made them play in the yard after.  Apparently the young officer blushed.

Like a lot of others I remember rifle racks in the back of pickups behind the driver's seat.  We lived in a rural area and lots of kids went hunting after school so the racks were generally full.  Heck, I remember bringing an 1860 Army to history class to show everyone "how it was done" during the Civil War.

We all know how it was. And how it is. But I reiterate….do they still have Home Ec classes??

My 7th grade science project was a summary and display on modern cartridges. I had components and assembled cartridges (inert) for many calibers from 50 BMG down to .22 LR. I didn't win any awards, but no one thought anything of it either. Can you imagine the reaction in today's world? :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

We all know how it was. And how it is. But I reiterate….do they still have Home Ec classes??

Basically no.  They are a relic of a bye-gone era.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/06/14/618329461/despite-a-revamped-focus-on-real-life-skills-home-ec-classes-fade-away

6 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

No shop or home ec in our local H.S.; however the vocational school (part of the H.S.) offers woodworking technology as well as child care and culinary arts.

LL

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

do they even have home ec any more ? i thought it was all gender adjustment studies these days 

From the CURRICULUM GUIDE for the local HS District:

Family and Consumer Science 1 0.5 Credit Grades: 10-12

Prerequisite: None

Like to eat? Want to know how to demonstrate basic sewing skills? This is the class for you. Students in Family and Consumer Science (FACS) will be exploring topics related to basic cooking, survival sewing and basic auto maintenance. Much of this class is project based and will include many hands on activities. This class will help you to prepare for the “real” world!

Family and Consumer Science 2 0.5 Credit Grades: 11-12

Prerequisite: FACS 1

This is an extension of FACS 1. We will begin by sewing your own apron and then let the cooking begin! The class will focus on meal planning and preparation. We will be working in teams to create nutritional and delicious meals that can be created in a limited time to help with our busy lives. The final exam will mimic a Chopped competition

1. Sitting here with daughter in law who is guidance counselor at a middle school. They have Home Ec where she is but says it is very rare.

2. For an 8th grade American History class, I took my uncle's Japanese Arisaka with bayonet attached on the 10 mile school bus ride and carried it into the school. No problems coming or going to school. My uncle was a Marine on Okinawa and obtained it from a fella that wasn't using it any more.

28 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

1. Sitting here with daughter in law who is guidance counselor at a middle school. They have Home Ec where she is but says it is very rare.

2. For an 8th grade American History class, I took my uncle's Japanese Arisaka with bayonet attached on the 10 mile school bus ride and carried it into the school. No problems coming or going to school. My uncle was a Marine on Okinawa and obtained it from a fella that wasn't using it any more.

Today the police, swat team and the news would be there!! You’d be arrested too!:o

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

My first wife MAJORED in Home Ec at SFSU class of 1972.  She sure could sew up a storm. 

Seamus

I recall my wife being turned back at the gate of our local County Fair, over a dull 1" letter opener knife on her key chain.  While she was taking it back to the car, I asked the two officers if they were aware that just inside the first building inside the fair, they were selling cutlery sets with 12" butcher knives.

They simultaneously gave each other defeated looks, then we had a good laugh.  

Archived