SASS Wire Forum

Anyone ever weigh an aspirin tablet

Alpo

I don't know why this crawled back in the memory. Several years ago I was reading an article on reloading on a budget. Guy told about when he got started. 38 Special. Lee loader.

He did not have a scale, but he had a balance. The load he wanted was five grains of unique. And looka there - said right on the bottle that these were five grain aspirin tablets. So he put a pill on one side of his balance and put powder on the other side until they leveled out.

Many years later he realized that the five grains was the amount of aspirin in the pill, but it also had other stuff in it to hold the aspirin together in pill form. And he weighed an aspirin tablet.

I don't recall what he said an aspirin tablet weighed, but he had been shooting massive overloads. :o

Reminds me of a story a gunsmith told me about a guy that kept bringing in a rifle with squibs stuck in the barrel.  Same story, he was a new reloader without a scale.  I don't remember the caliber, but his load manual had a suggested starting load of 35gr with his particular powder.  This new reloader assumed it was 35 literal grains of powder and would count the individual kernels of powder out with a tweezers.  Obviously the load was extremely underpowered and would result in squib after squib.  

1 hour ago, July Smith said:

Reminds me of a story a gunsmith told me about a guy that kept bringing in a rifle with squibs stuck in the barrel.  Same story, he was a new reloader without a scale.  I don't remember the caliber, but his load manual had a suggested starting load of 35gr with his particular powder.  This new reloader assumed it was 35 literal grains of powder and would count the individual kernels of powder out with a tweezers.  Obviously the load was extremely underpowered and would result in squib after squib.  

Must have taken a very long time to get a box of 50! :blink:

1 hour ago, July Smith said:

This may explain some of the cowboy loads I've seen.:mellow:

26 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

This may explain some of the cowboy loads I've seen.:mellow:

Okay...I almost needed a new keyboard. :lol:

Yeah, no kidding. I have actually been shocked at some loads I have heard / seen people shooting at matches. In those cases I do not think they should bbe able t say "Cowboy" Action Shooting...Maybe something a little more appropriate. I will stop now at the risk of huhting someone's wittle feewings...

2 hours ago, July Smith said:

When I worked in a muzzle loading shop in Anaheim we had a new customer (a high school teacher) come back after buying a TC Hawken and ask of there was a better way to measure powder.  He said he kept losing count of the grains.  We showed him a better way and he was so embarrassed that he turned the air red.

The inconsiderate SOB got to where he could outshoot us "experts" within a month or so.

After reading what  @Forty Rod SASS 3935wrote above I recalled a guy at Cabela's. He asked the clerk in the reloading department "Where are your tweezers or what do you use to measure out powder?" The clerk, without missing a beat or even showing any sign of humor said "You don't need powder tweezers. Let me show you our powder measures."

Afterwards he told me he gets that scenario about once a year and though he shows no  emotion, inside he is laughing hilariously. :lol:

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Okay...I almost needed a new keyboard. :lol:

Yeah, no kidding. I have actually been shocked at some loads I have heard / seen people shooting at matches. In those cases I do not think they should bbe able t say "Cowboy" Action Shooting...Maybe something a little more appropriate. I will stop now at the risk of huhting someone's wittle feewings...

I have spotted for shooters where you could actually keep the bullet in sight as it went towards the target.  tink.

Shot in a Black Powder match at the old Possum Trot several years ago.  One lady shooter was having trouble getting her pistol rounds to the targets! I’m NOT JOKING! The targets were no more than seven to ten yards out and she had to shoot her pistols so that the bullet would follow a real arc to reach the targets!!

We were cleaning up the range in the evening between the first and second days of the match and found quite a few completely undamaged .32 cal bullets at the base of the pistol targets!!

One of the range officers asked her if she had any powder in her cartridges .  She was pretty angry when she replied, but everyone else was asking that same question.  

The next time we saw her , she was at least making some smoke and the spotters could hear a little ring when she managed to hit the targets!! :rolleyes:

This is akin to early days of riding Harleys with the old points-style ignition components.
Adjust the points to a dime's thickness... or two nickels if you don't have a dime handy.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

This is akin to early days of riding Harleys with the old points-style ignition components.
Adjust the points to a dime's thickness... or two nickels if you don't have a dime handy.

50 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

The dime worked fine and Chevy points would work!

Matchbooks worked for Yamahas. :D

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

That reminds me of the story I heard about why Minnesota state quarters did not work in vending machines.

They think that the duct tape they used to hold the two dimes and nickel together was coming loose and gumming up the works of the machine.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

I have spotted for shooters where you could actually keep the bullet in sight as it went towards the target.  tink.

We have one shooter whose loads are so light that if it looks like it's going to miss, he can run down move target into the bullet's path.^_^

....... getting that 1/2 grain can be a bit of a booger with some of that fine powder ......

......... not only do you need tweezers, but also a scalpel and a microscope ......   :(

.............. and you need a microscope so that you can be accurate enough with your cut so that you can use the offcut in your next load ....  -_-

5 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

Birdgun Quail, Colt 36 Navy. Blow the picture up some and you can see the ball in that red circle I drew. Round about 7:00.

939313631_5Id6MF2.thumb.jpg.57a82332588c53c7f007e2325bba6cb4.jpg

Well, up in Oregon I could swear I saw one guys bullets swerve in a gust of wind. It still hit the target. I jokingly asked him if he had homing devices in his bullets. He actually snarled. I don’t  think he thought I was very funny. :lol:

Archived