SASS Wire Forum

Shipping on SASS items

Rye Miles #13621

I was going to order a T Shirt from SASS, they're pretty cool looking but the cheapest shipping is $17.00 on a $29.95 item seems pretty steep to me. Just sayin'.........

BTW I didn't buy it:mellow: 

40 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I was going to order a T Shirt from SASS, they're pretty cool looking but the cheapest shipping is $17.00 on a $29.95 item seems pretty steep to me. Just sayin'.........

You are correct it is high.  Something like a T shirt could be shipped in a padded or plastic bag USPS for under $8

27 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

You are correct it is high.  Something like a T shirt could be shipped in a padded or plastic bag USPS for under $8

What's strange is the American flag will ship for $10.00!!! I'm in Ohio and I assume the merchandise is coming from Indiana??

It isn’t just SASS, shipping on almost everything has gone up.

4 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

It isn’t just SASS, shipping on almost everything has gone up.

I don't order much online but $17.00 on a $30.00 item is a little ridiculous!

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I don't order much online but $17.00 on a $30.00 item is a little ridiculous!

I agree. I ordered 2 router bits the other day that I really need and the shipping was $1.00 more than one bit cost so it was like I bought 3 bits but only got 2.

Well, shipping normally doesn't just include the postal (or whatever) service itself. It also covers the handling of the item(s), the packaging, the billing etc. Therefore, the shipping costs are the same if you buy one or ten T-shirts. Some companies decoy with low or free shipping, but in fact those costs are just added to each price tag of the items you buy. To me, the first approach is more transparent.

Nowadays however it's still probably cheaper than the gas to drive somewhere to buy what you need.

Rye, sent you a PM

There are costs beyond postage involved with shipping.  Boxes, bubble wrap, padded envelopes, tape, and related items all cost money. As much as you were quoted, I don’t know. But, I just bought a lifter for a model 66 from a well-known cowboy gun supplier and they charged me $16 to ship it to me. It was too big for the gun so I had to return it. The padded envelope cost me $2 and the postage was $4.00. So they made $10 on shipping it to me. Plus, I will be charged 25% in restocking fees. 

Unfortunately when dealing with businesses you're not paying for just the actual shipping. They have overhead. They have to pay someone to package the product and make sure it gets to the shipper. I just ordered a big lube bullet sample pack that was $15 and the shipping was another $15. Also ordered a $7 gun part and shipping was $8. So is the way of the world these days. 

13 hours ago, Cholla said:

There are costs beyond postage involved with shipping.  Boxes, bubble wrap, padded envelopes, tape, and related items all cost money. As much as you were quoted, I don’t know. But, I just bought a lifter for a model 66 from a well-known cowboy gun supplier and they charged me $16 to ship it to me. It was too big for the gun so I had to return it. The padded envelope cost me $2 and the postage was $4.00. So they made $10 on shipping it to me. Plus, I will be charged 25% in restocking fees. 

I know all that I worked at King Musicial Instruments for about 4-5 months in the early 70's in the shipping department. I still can't justify $17.00 on a TShirt.!!!  Just sayin'.........

10 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

I just ordered a shirt for work.

Shirt was free (corporate gift). I had to pay $2.57 for logo (required) and $15 for the shipping!

If the shirt was free that's good but $15.00 shipping for a da%^ shirt?? Ridiculous!

While it ain't directly related... I haul freight for a living... 4/20 my ave fuel cost was $2.249/gal.  4/21 went up to $3.154/gal... while I've been in the shop so far this month, my ave for 3/22 was $5.061.  And they're predicting higher by summer.  And the income associated with those fuel costs:  4/20: $2.52/mi, 4/21:  $2.28/mi, & 3/21: $4.47/mi.  I seldom choose the cheapest paying loads... nor do I choose the highest paying loads... 1st, they're usually going somewhere I can't or don't want to go (CA, NY, (or points north & east or to Canada... Hmmm... all 2nd Amend non-friendly places... And yes, I avoid Cook Cnty , IL like the plague!  

For me, shipping costs are a make or break decision as too whether I order an item or not. In Rye's example, I definitely would not order the shirt as I feel that the shipping cost is outrageous given the cost of a t-shirt @ $30 which IMO is too high for a t-shirt.

One annoying thing about shipping costs is the steps to find out what the costs are. If sellers would provide an "estimate shipping cost based on zip code" on the FIRST page of checkout, I think that more people would order their product. Instead, you have to provide all of the info first; e-mail, name/address, create account, payment info, etc...all before finding out what the final cost will be...only to find that it's more than I want to pay or the product is worth. Just seems like they are giving a low ball price as bait but gig you on shipping/handling.

Okay, I feel better now.......

I just completed a purchase for a new shirt from a well-known SASS vendor.

Shirt: 39.95

Promotion: (5.99)

Shipping: 23.34

Total: 57.30

About 40% of my cost was in shipping. Still cheaper than flying out to their place to buy it in person, I guess.

On 4/5/2022 at 8:09 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

For you and only for you.  Email me what SASS T Shirt you wanted to order and your shipping address.  I’ll drive the hour to SASS HQ and buy your shirt.  Then I’ll USPS the shirt to you.  Your cost will be $17 plus USPS postage.

rrloucks@gmail.com

17 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

For you and only for you.  Email me what SASS T Shirt you wanted to order and your shipping address.  I’ll drive the hour to SASS HQ and buy your shirt.  Then I’ll USPS the shirt to you.  Your cost will be $17 plus USPS postage.

rrloucks@gmail.com

That’s okay but thanks!

This is another example of what I term "separated cost/ separated profit" business accounting.

It is a trend that has been growing for a number of years - where every "cost" line item must be offset by a "corresponding" income/ profit line.

A basic example is Las Vegas.

Used to be that food, hotel, entertainment was provided at a loss (or break even) to entice folks to come to Vegas and gamble.

The cost line of food was not covered by a corresponding income line on food but by the income line on gambling.

As some point (i.e. when corporations pushed out the mob) this changed and each individual outlay had to support itself (or even better become a profit center). 

A mail order purchase may have charged for "shipping" but the costs of the persons labor and packaging costs were built into the profit margin of the item.

But no longer as retailers have figured out that customers are too stupid to add two and two together to determine the true cost of their purchase and they can create two profit streams from a single purchase.

Or in other words - folks would realize that a $47 t shirt with "free shipping" is ridiculous - so they move the slider to get you to justify the cost as two individual costs.

Howdy all,

As a business owner that deals with incoming shipments and outgoing shipments, I can say that shipping has become a beast of consumption but is 

an evil necessity. Distributors that used to offer free shipping on $500 or more orders are now raising it to $1,000. or in some cases are still "free" shipping PLUS a $14.00 fuel offset fee. Or flat out raising the price. What hurts a single item purchase when shipping is set is the fee is the same for 1 or 10 items, so it hurts when one item is ordered at $17. shipping but doesn't hurt when 10 items are ordered and it becomes $1.70 per item shipping. So order more, get a group order together with other club members or family. (FYI- I have on one of the SASS t-shirts right now, they are super soft, high quality material and of the several dozen t-shirts I own, they are my favorite.) 

Rye, plan a trip over to Indiana and shoot with us at Paradise Pass (first Saturday of each month, or Indiana State June 10-12, or first weekend in July for our 2 day or the Black Powder match August 27, 28 and let me know your size and I'll have one here waiting on you!  

3 hours ago, C.C. Top said:

Howdy all,

As a business owner that deals with incoming shipments and outgoing shipments, I can say that shipping has become a beast of consumption but is 

an evil necessity. Distributors that used to offer free shipping on $500 or more orders are now raising it to $1,000. or in some cases are still "free" shipping PLUS a $14.00 fuel offset fee. Or flat out raising the price. What hurts a single item purchase when shipping is set is the fee is the same for 1 or 10 items, so it hurts when one item is ordered at $17. shipping but doesn't hurt when 10 items are ordered and it becomes $1.70 per item shipping. So order more, get a group order together with other club members or family. (FYI- I have on one of the SASS t-shirts right now, they are super soft, high quality material and of the several dozen t-shirts I own, they are my favorite.) 

Rye, plan a trip over to Indiana and shoot with us at Paradise Pass (first Saturday of each month, or Indiana State June 10-12, or first weekend in July for our 2 day or the Black Powder match August 27, 28 and let me know your size and I'll have one here waiting on you!  

Thanks for the offer CC but I highly doubt I’ll be going out of state this year. ;)

I ship items all across the country all the time, and I know it was just as easy to stuff that T shirt in a 8.00 box as a 15.00 box. 

As for the T shirt itself, I bought 3 of them from a  fellow shooter who they were too small for, and I love them. Not a heavy duty shirt, like my normal Carhartt's, but soo soft and comfortable they have become my favorite lounging around the house shirt.

Archived