SASS Wire Forum

Do you remember having an ice chest?

sassnetguy50

16 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Buckshot Bear calls an ice chest a chilly bin!

..... he had better not !  :angry:  ....... that's a Kiwi word .....

...........the correct Awstrayyylan word is "esky" ......   -_-

Yes, I remember grandma's ice chest, and her wood stove and hand pump at the sink. She always wore an apron with flour dusted on it, and she carried a rolling pin. Her gray hair was in a bun. There was always a hot apple pie cooling on the sill.

The screen door screeched and banged and we ran around in hand-me-downs and bare feet.

Kids these days--- we had to learn  to start a car with a crank, and they don't even have to turn a key; they just get the fob close to the console.

1 minute ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

..... he had better not !  :angry:  ....... that's a Kiwi word .....

...........the correct Awstrayyylan word is "esky" ......   -_-

Ya beat me to it! We had a Kiwi friend that used to come here to fly his balloon and always had his " chilly bin" with him!

My Dad's first job was delivering ice.  He was paid (weekly) 50 cents and a small bag of Golden Grain smoking tobacco.

I never had an ice chest, though I did have a chiseled one…along with the rest of my body, but alas, ‘tis no more. :lol:

I remember the day when the electric company came out after watching poles being set and wires strung. Then a week or so later a representative came out and if we signed up they would provide lights and switches in each room and 2 outlets in living room and kitchen and one in each bedroom. They stapled cloth encased wires to the wall and ceilings. Then came the day we had electricity and lights. The monthly bill was under 5 dollars and when paying the bill we could get 2 free replacement light bulbs every month.

But we still owned an icebox and weekly delivery of ice as needed.

My wife had an apartment in Portland, OR. Each apt had an icebox that opened to the apt and the corridor. Way back, an iceman would visit once a day and put a fresh block of ice in the box from the corridor side.  Not now of course but the ice boxes are still there.

WE had a house in 1951-1955 that hd a two block (100 pound) ice box under the rear porch.  We watch the ice truck (a chain drive Mack) pull up and the driver would get two 50 pound blocks over and down a chute and then on hot days we'd each get a chunk of ice to carry around so we had something to keep us cool.

Rated right up there with the ice cream man on his ice cooled trike full of goodies.

That was the last place I ever saw with an ice box built in.

I recall a number of years ago, when a bunch of biologists in my office were leaving for a multi-day field excursion.  A female biologist in the group loudly proclaimed across the office where people were assembling, "I've got an ice chest".   Somebody in the background quipped, "And no small amount of modesty".  It was good for a laugh and a red face.  

No, but we had a neighbor, German immigrants, about a mile down the gulch who were still using one into the early 60's. Like Red Gauntlet described above, they also had a big wood stove in the middle of the rough wood floored living room/kitchen, and a pump jack sitting atop the kitchen counter over the sink. One day Stella was showing my folks how Joe had rigged up an electric motor and crankshaft arrangement so all she had to do was flip a switch to get water instead of pumping the handle. He ran a pipe to the bathroom so they had running water to the tub, and even installed a flush toilet in lieu of the outhouse. Looking back, I expect the waste water for their little cabin/house probably just dumped into the creek about twenty yards away. 

My grandparents in New Jersey had an ice box in the kitchen when I was a kid in the late ‘50s and it was still there in ‘64 when we moved back to Tennessee.

I still remember the ice man delivering twice a week a 50# block of ice. They also had a modern refrigerator sitting right beside the ice box.

I wish I had that ice box!!

i dont remember it but was told my grandparents had one until they got the fridge i do remember ....one of those ones with the round thingy on top , i recall kids were not allowed to touch it 

The lake I grew up on was used for ice harvesting. It went into a special barn and was covered with sawdust. Before my time but I have seen pictures that are in the family. I do remember home milk delivery. Glass bottles on the porch!

Well, I knew a girl in high school……:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Now Bob. just one?

She stands out. ;)

ours ice house in my home town got turned into the local history center , when i moved here i recall seeing ice harvested off the lakes[s] but i think it was getting used for the winter carnival 

Back in the 90s before Dad passed, we took a trip up to Horseshoe Bend, ID where he had some property.
He knew a fella in town that managed the local ice house.

In the middle of the summer heat, we went inside this ice house to see huge chunks of solid ice.
The walls were 20+ inches thick, and entirely filled with sawdust from the local mill.

Frederick Tudor was the New England 'ice king' in the pre-civil war period. He and others sold ice all over the world; harvested it from lakes in New England winters. They perfected storing and insulating it. Look him up; very interesting bit of American history.

My nephew lives in the tiny community of Floriston, just outside Truckee on the Truckee river. Maybe 40 or so buildings up there now, all residential. But back in the day it as a thriving community built around the ice and timber trades.  By damming the river they created large ice ponds to harvest in winter. I wonder how many small mountain towns have similar backgrounds. 

Seamus

3 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

........ them's two pretty Ladies ..... :wub:

oddly enough , on my third pass through this thread , i had the same exact thought -you realize of course that we are both going to hell 

15 minutes ago, watab kid said:

oddly enough , on my third pass through this thread , i had the same exact thought -you realize of course that we are both going to hell 

Do you like to chase older women?  They're probably north of 120 if still living.

good point and cant argue that , they werent in that photo tho ......the smiles caught my eye and i bet a lot of other young mens back then as well , 

7 hours ago, watab kid said:

I had the same thoughts as both of you, but I’m not allowed within 500 ft. of Hell!!  My attorney, J. Mark Flint, has informed me that Satan has taken out an order of protection against me!!

Archived