SASS Wire Forum

Tales from Behind the Plate, April 3rd, 2022

So there I was...

...calling the dish for a men's league (MSBL) game.  This was their most competitive division.  The visiting team had been a lower level champion last year, so the league bumped them up to the highest level.  They were comprised of guys 25+ who had played in high school, etc., and ruled the roost at the lower level. 

But they were in for a surprise.  The home team's starting pitcher had pitched at Cal State, gotten drafted into the minor leagues, and made it to AA before injuring his arm.  He had gotten whatever medical help he needed (I don't know if it was Tommy John's because I didn't ask), and was playing in the men's league to get him ready for Pecos League (independent minor league) in an attempt to get back into the game at higher levels.  The home team catcher had played professionally in Canada over 18 years ago, before he and I were cops together.  His throw down to second was a laser beam.  For a men's league, this battery was brutal.

The home team pitcher commanded the zone like he owned it.  I have to admit, it was absolutely the best pitching I've ever had the opportunity to call.  The catcher knew how to frame correctly, and probably bought his guy a few inches on the outside.  After putting guys behind in the count with fastballs and changeups on the corners, and sliders, he threw what I can only guess was a "slurve."  The ball looked like it was going to hit the batter, who jumped out of the box.  Then it curved directly over the center of the plate, and did a 12-6 break at the end.  The catcher's mitt was set up directly behind point of plate about mid-thigh high, and he didn't move it a single inch to make the grab.  It was the FILTHIEST pitch I have ever had the pleasure of ringing up a batter on. 

Had the visiting team dugout watched the catcher's mitt, they would have known it was a good pitch.  But all they saw was the batter diving out of the box and assumed I sucked.  The batter was livid that I had rung him up, but he hadn't seen the pitch at all since it was half-way to the plate.  He was an idiot.

The next batter came up, and the same thing happened.  I rang him up on the filthy slurve over the middle of the plate after he had jumped out of the box.  Once again, the catcher's mitt was set up point of plate, mid-thigh high and didn't move an inch.  The batter was so angry he turned around and yelled at me on the way back to the dugout.  I probably should have ran him, but I just gave him my umpire glare with my helmet on. 

The final score was brutal; 25-3, I think, and all three of the visiting team's runs were scored after they swapped out the pitcher.

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

How many hits did the pitcher give up?

One or two in three innings.  After they were schwacking the other team so badly, they pulled him and put several of their relievers in.  They were also pretty good, just not as good as this guy.

Archived