SASS Wire Forum

Lend-lease Winchester Rifles

Subdeacon Joe

On FB someone posted this photo

Women_of_the_Auxiliary_Territorial_Service_unload_rifles.thumb.jpg.7de60a7d027e13ea8e955d0b656fb929.jpg

"Women of the Auxiliary Territorial Service move armfuls of American made Winchester rifles, having just arrived from the US under Lend-lease. Prior to the Lend-lease Act, Britain had to pay for all weapons/material supplied by the USA. As the war waged on, Winston Churchill realised that Britain would not be able to pay for these supplies for very long.
In order to remedy this situation, Roosevelt on December 8, 1940, proposed the concept of lend-lease, and the U.S. Congress passed his Lend-Lease Act in March 1941. This legislation gave the president the authority to aid any nation whose defense he believed vital to the United States and to accept repayment “in kind or property, or any other direct or indirect benefit which the President deems satisfactory.” 
Colourised A Colourful History by HW"

My Google-fu has failed me.  Does anyone know what model those rifles would have been?  Boxes look small and light.  I'm thinking they might be .22 caliber rifles for training.

Now that I looked at it again, I could swear the second box end from the top says Model 94, and the next one down looks like Model 67.  That photo comes from the Library of Congress web site.  The women are from the Auxiliary Territorial Service. No further information supplied online; only at the Library, if there is any further detail.

"Not Made in England," or "NOTENGLISHMAKE"

https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-military-arms/not-made-in-england-m94/

WINCHESTER ARMS COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION discussion from four years ago:

OP Ol Grouser, Guest - On a recent trip through the Maritimes I picked a vintage 1940 production Winchester 94 #1227XXX, in 30-30 with unusual London Proof House markings and additional “NOT MADE IN ENGLAND” stampings, a rack number – # 29, a second engraved serial number on the receiver and holes for swing swivels, both back and front...  mWAG is the rifle was used in the Home Guard or military to clear runway of roe deer from an air field in England... [MWAG = My Wild Ass Guess?]

Aland, Sidney, Australia - As an aside there is one Model 1894 .30WCF carbine in the UK that was allegedly bought from a British government sale of surplus small arms after the war, the story being that it was one of a batch that were trialed by the Tank Corps as a sort of personal defense weapon, when the crew had to bail out of their tank. There is no official paperwork to support this, so this is all purely anecdotal...

And we probably never got money or products to pay for them, either.  Strange how the whole world is anti gun until they get in a jam and then beg us for help....and never repay us and seldom even say "thanks"....and destroy most of what we gave them so we can't get them back.

One more reason why I say the rest of the world, with very few exceptions, can be be told to kiss off without even so much as an apology.

:FlagAm:

Just now, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

And we probably never got money or products to pay for them, either.  Strange how the whole world is anti gun until they get in a jam and then beg us for help....and never repay us and seldom even say "thanks"....and destroy most of what we gave them so we can't get them back.

One more reason why I say the rest of the world, with very few exceptions, can be be told to kiss off without even so much as an apology.

You are not quite your normal, grumpy, old fart self.  Stay OFF your prescription meds for at least two more days.  Hopefully, all will be back to normal.

Always willing to help.

Chas B:D

34 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

A unique take on Lend-Lease, which may have saved Britain and certainly helped win the War. 

Without Britain we would have had no way to invade France. The European war would have ended with us on one side of the Atlantic and Hitler on the other. Until Germany and Japan came at us at once.

I think the Winchesters were more a show of support than of any practical value

27 minutes ago, Chas B. Wolfson, SASS #11104 said:

You are not quite your normal, grumpy, old fart self.  Stay OFF your prescription meds for at least two more days.  Hopefully, all will be back to normal.

Always willing to help.

Chas B:D

I got an idea: why don't you folks come up here and tell me that face to face.  

Got some new fooderies we could try out.  One of two are greta for breakfast or lunch and a couple would do for lunch or supper.

How about this: next time we save some countries' butts (if we ever do again) we take payment in our choice of lands including all lands and holdings and add some stars to our flag and increase out financial stature and power in the world. 

If we had annexed all the land we captured since our beginning we'd be a massive nation involving well over half the planet.  Germany, Japan, Korea, large chunks of China, same with Mexico and the Banana Republics, huge slices of Europe and the Middle East, Italy, a fine patch of north Africa,  most of the Mediterranean, over half of Southeast Asia and The Pacific, the Caribbean, both polar caps, and parts of South America and the Middle east. 

Let's see now, did I miss ant place and did I fail to offend most of the world's population?

We won it or made it possible for others to get out from under the load.

13 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

With Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California we got a lot of Mexico.

To some degree they seem to be taking them places back... starting with california.  :mellow:

they got a lot of winchester/remington.mosberg rifles in 22cal for training , smith and wesson,colt.savage were supplying combat calibers alone with a lot of others 

Archived