SASS Wire Forum

Memories?

Utah Bob #35998

Some of you old war horses will get it. ;)

2EF68D11-9219-48D8-9871-316515C2A355.jpeg

A Master Chief once told me, "The Navy runs on coffee."
So do I!

Weren’t those things made of Melamine or Melmac or something like that? 
Once they had Navy coffee in them they always smelled like Navy coffee. :blink:

Just now, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

And although practically indestructible, the Air Force could still find a way to break them. 

Hmmm…we tried to break them, but they were tough. You all probably had to drop them from great heights, yes? :lol:

No warhorse here, but have a good many cherished old cups. I still have some cups and bowls my mother had when I was a button. I think it was called Ovenware. They live in my farm cabin, I use them and remember from time to time. I may not have the name right, but she used to have an extensive set of these.

Su Amigo,

JHC

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/aa/26/7e/aa267ef0a49818fa3775e2686eded413.jpg

10 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

No warhorse here, but have a good many cherished old cups. I still have some cups and bowls my mother had when I was a button. I think it was called Ovenware. They live in my farm cabin, I use them and remember from time to time. I may not have the name right, but she used to have an extensive set of these.

Su Amigo,

JHC

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/aa/26/7e/aa267ef0a49818fa3775e2686eded413.jpg

My Mom saved my Davy Crockett cup and cereal bowl that dad got as a weekly giveway at local gas station in 1955. They have a special place in my home and many memories.

SDC19279.JPG.6e4800b87e209e6a3893366939bb91a2.JPG

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Hmmm…we tried to break them, but they were tough. You all probably had to drop them from great heights, yes? :lol:

Along with the rest of my baggage...

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Bakelite, I think!

Melamine. Much more robust.

When I was a Company Commander my Mess Steward came in one day raging mad.  Seems like he'd ordered 250 of those cups and they sent brown ones instead of cream colored ones and it threw off the visual serenity of "his" mess hall.

I had my clerk make some phone calls and after a trade or two the world was back on its spindle again and all was right with the universe.

I had some coffee leftover from breakfast this morning so I gave a salute to Sergeant First Class Letholian Waddles, USA.  He was the closest thing I ever saw to a five star master chef in the Army.  Wherever you are, Sergeant Waddles, I hope the galley meets tor specifications.

And Bob, thanks for the memories.  I'll stand you to a cup of Joe and an Army bagel (which was definitely NOT a bagel.)

i think once you reach a certain age [or maybe our generation will be the last] we all have one or two like that , but i will agree those seemed indestructible , got one around here somewhere , no longer used as grandkids gifted one of those nifty thermal deals that stay hot for hours that ive been told must be used by SWMBO 

Missed opportunity re: Post Title! ;)

Snip-it_1649071748458.jpg.59bacf74201fd973fb33fa9eb515ac8e.jpg

Say it with me...and what do you hear? :P

11167551-large.jpg.8cc9432056e8f334ddfab5d95e8b48fc.jpg

Snip-it_1649071575652.jpg.3e1884b40f94c67cacf6491bf614ed56.jpg

aYy1KxO_700b.jpg.11d7a5e1c1ffe55c9a12c57d56580d1a.jpg

16 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Melamine. Much more robust.

I remember Mom kept one and an electric percalator in a shaving kit, in the car.

Incase they had to stay at a hotel without a coffee pot.

I still carry that kit (minus cup) under the seat!!!

Archived