SASS Wire Forum

Shooting sports besides SASS

Pat Riot

What shooting sports do you participate in besides Cowboy Action Shooting, if you do shoot other sports?

Years ago I used to shoot in bullseye and tactical competitions and then got into SASS. When I stopped shooting SASS back in ‘06 I tried IDPA for a while. That was fun. 
For a time I didn’t shoot any organized competition and mostly shot at ranges and in the woods by myself or with friends. 
In 2016 I came back to SASS.

I haven’t shot a SASS match in over a year. In the past 4 1/2 years I have had two major bike crashes and an injury at work last year that I think I am finally almost healed from. I gotta stop getting hurt so I can shoot matches again. 
Trouble is, I go over on the Wire and read various posts and conversations and I find that my heart just isn’t in this any longer. It just doesn’t trip my trigger any more. I am not sure if it’s because I am bored with the idea or if it just seems like the same old thing over and over and over again. Since 2016 I just cannot get excited about what I call “The New SASS”. It’s all about fast shooting and close targets.

Dangit! I am going off on a tangent…

My curiosity is this; do any of you Pards and Pardettes shoot other sports / competitions? What do you find fun in besides SASS?

I have shot pretty much everthing over the past 60 years.  Right now it is CAS and Trap Shooting.  A bunch of us cowboy shooters now shoot in the local Trap League every Wednesday night and then we all go to dinner.  In the old days a big group of CAS shooters would go to a late lunch or dinner after the CAS match.  That has sort of died out as everyone is tired and wants to go home these days.  The big difference?  In CAS you stand around for 45 minutes to shoot 25 seconds times however many stages are in the match.  In Trap you shoot the entire match non-stop in 30 minutes.

I shot Steel Challenge for a number of years before transitioning into Cowboy Action. They’re similar, but I had to get used to getting penalized for misses! Lol

Last year I started shooting IDPA at our local Rod and Gun club.  IDPA is a sport for self defense in which you use modern semi auto pistols and concealment for your firearm.

For me, it, it is a way to improve my self defense skills.  If I am going to carry a firearm for self defense, I need to practice the skills I need to do that.

Frankly, IDPA shows me how bad a shot I am--and how slow I am.  In IDPA your targets are cardboard cutouts in roughly the shape of the human body.  Square head and the upper body.  SMALL center areas are marked off to show center mass and then outer limits of the "body".  Hit outside the center areas and you are `down a point'--a second is added to your time.  Hit outside the body--add 5 seconds.  More points down if you don't follow tactical priority--closest and most 'dangerous first.

It is good practice for possible real life scenarios.

But I love Cowboy!  The dressing up, the people--and once in a great while I shoot a clean match!

Dr. O. R. Vet

We've been doing the "Rimfire Challenge" at a club. (We also do cowboy shooting there) I used to shoot on an indoor pistol league at a local indoor range in the winter. I haven't in the last few years but I'm planning on it this October. Cowboy shooting is still my favorite though.

When I first realized that a Cowboy shooting competition existed I was drawn in like an April Fools joke. :P

I heard of SASS through a fellow employee who rode horses and shot balloons. He talked with me for some time and led me to the local club (Lake County Pistoleros) where I went on several occasions to watch them shoot and ask questions. 

Eventually got all my equipment and clothing and began shooting. 

Enjoyed every moment, learned a lot and had fun. 

My only issue with the process is as Larsen mentioned, in that there is a lot of time between you actually shooting.

This didn't bother me as much as it did with Ann. You see,she came to every shoot, even helped with various tasks, such as picking up brass, resetting targets, etc. ;)

Snip-it_1648990658734.thumb.jpg.9bf87bf994aad2ad361241211bad8c30.jpg

But the heat and periods of time standing in the heat took its toll and eventually I stopped shooting, even though she insisted I still shoot, as we always do things together. :wub:

Now that we're both retired, we'll resume attending, most likely only during the cooler months. 

As for an alternative to CAS, I would consider Skeet Shooting as a way of improving my Shotgun skills. 

Ann and I have discussed the possibility of IDPA to improve our self defense skills as well. 

I shoot muzzleloader once a week if it's warm. Wouldn't mind trying IDPA, they must do it somewhere around here. With the cost of getting into CAS, not sure about getting into something else.

25 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I shoot muzzleloader once a week if it's warm. Wouldn't mind trying IDPA, they must do it somewhere around here. With the cost of getting into CAS, not sure about getting into something else.

3 gun and CAS have to be the two most expensive to get into. If you concealed carry and reload your pretty much set for IDPA 

I have shot Bullseye Pistol for the last 20 years. I have been running our program for about the last 15 years. 

Our local Rifle & Pistol Club has indoor & outdoor ranges. We shoot our Bullseye Pistol League from November to April indoors. We have between 20 & 40 shooters, the smaller number now due to shortage of ammunition and reloading supplies. We shoot every Wednesday and practice (and makeups) every Saturday. I group our shooters according to skill level and then they shoot against each other in their group. 

I also shoot some trap, but not as much as I used too. Too far to travel to a range.

I'm going to my first Cowboy shoot at the end of this month (Four Corners Regional) since we moved here in 2018. Ironically, one of the reasons we moved here was the great club (Dixie Desperados). With the move, home improvements and then covid, I haven't been able to shoot. Add to that my "covid belly" and my pants wouldn't fit. I've always been one for the costuming so that kinda depressed me.

Anyway, new outlook on that aspect so I'm intent on resurrecting the past.

Over the years I have shot a lot of different sports.

1) Cowboy... by far my favorite. Love the people in the game and my local pards are the best!

2) IDPA..... If you think cowboy has to many rules, or takes to long you haven't read the IDPA handbook. After an 8 year hiatus I shot a four stage match scheduled to start at 9 AM had to show up at 8:30 to set up their props, actually started at 9:30 finished at 3:30 PM and then it was expected that you would tear down and stow their props! Left the house at 8 AM got home at 4:30 PM scores came out about 9 PM. :blink: Total time shooting with my squad of 15..... about 120 seconds. Total time to and from house.... eight and one half hours.

3) IPSC..... Liked it a lot but our local club folded several years ago. For those who think Cowboy is expensive, my unlimited gun (modified Colt Delta Elite 10mm) was over $3,000 in 2000. A serious arms race in terms of dollars to be competitive.

4) Trap..... Love it but I stink at it. :lol: Typical score around 18-19 out of 25. Using my SxS or '97 I stick out a bit from the high end O/U guys but don't have the funds to shoot enough to be good or purchase the better equipment. Still if I could afford the nicer shotguns this would probably be my #2.

5) Steel Challenge.... fun but the closest venue is over 60 miles one way for me. They also offer a rimfire challenge indoors in the colder weather. Also fun, also a long drive.

6) Wild Bunch.... Has its own challenges and I am still learning the game. Like it but it is irregular at best around here.

7) Cowboy long range...... Not being a real patient person this is very satisfying when I do well but seems to take a long time to shoot twenty rounds or so.

As always YMMV

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

For me, the biggest impediment to regular shooting is the distance and travel time/expense.
I grew up shooting my #6 Remington out my bedroom window, then crawling through the sage bush across the street to chase prairie dogs.

Bigger guns were shot at the gravel pit, half a mile down the road.
I got my first black eye there, cheek down on Dad's '06... solid black by the time we got back to the truck.

Then, civilization happened, and all the above was lost.

Despite the distance and ammo cost, we diligently shot trap every week before COVID.
After COVID slowed down and the range re-opened, our (93 year old) Mover and Shaker trap organizer had to move to NV and live with his daughter.
Our trap group fell apart when he left.

None right now. In the past I shot IPSC for a good while, dabbled in bench rest (didn't have the $$$$ for top equipment, not that it probably would have mattered ;)) and shot IHMSA for a few years. I haven't shot a SASS match in years but I still like hanging out here.

JHC

Bullseye (Olympic Style Matches) .177, .22, .32 and .38.

Small Bore Rifle

Big Bore Rifle

IPSC

Action Pistol

Service Pistol

Black Powder (Pistol)

Benchrest

Metallic Silhouette (Smallbore Pistol)

USPSA as a non member.  Defensive Pistol ( an outlaw club that loosely follows IDPA rules), and occasional bout of 3gun (local match is the same Sunday as one of our CAS matches.  Wild bunch when I can, usually at the State and Regional matches.  Rimfire Challenge when it's close enough.  Pro steel when it's available.  Local indoor range has two or three other disciplines I want to participate in.  They do a rimfire bullseye match, and if I can get a penicillin shot, a GSSF (Glock Shooting Sports Foundation) sanctioned monthly match. I got good friends that shoot skeet and trap, but I haven't tried it other than a little bit at a cowboy match.

Local Club shoots IDPA, which is ok, but theres just so many rules and they refuse to allow appendix carry so I can't even practice for when I actually carry, but I still go just to shoot. 

I shoot our local PRS 22 matches which are fun. Taking .22's out to 300yds is always a good time, plus tiny little targets at 25-50yds. 

I mainly shoot USPSA, which has been my favorite shooting league/org so far. More rounds, better stages, not as many rules, can run appendix, etc. Going to a couple all day level 2 matches this year so those should be pretty fun. 

Need to finally get to a SASS match this year, as COVID and baby put a damper on anything other than USPSA. 

Archived