SASS Wire Forum

Questions on Moving Data from SASS Premier Scoring to CAS Scoring on Apple Devices

Howdy All,

I know a bunch of you out there have been using the CAS Scoring application for Apple iOS devices and, as foolish as it may be, I have begun the transition for our club as well in the hopes of solving some other issues we have been having.

I have been through the PowerPoint tutorial posted her elsewhere (I will post it again here for those who choose to foolishly follow my footsteps) but I have a question that I seem to be unable to find an answer for in the documentation for either SASS Premier or CAS Scoring.

Although the SASS Premier Scoring program says that it can exchange data with both the A.C.E.S. and CAS applications, and I can get it to generate the .ZIP file, even when extracted, the files do not appear to be compatible with the CAS application.  Quite possibly, there is something simple that I am missing (and Lord knows I am NOT an Apple guy) but I am stuck at this point and thought I would seek knowledge from the SASS Collective.

I am really hoping that I am missing something because I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, don't want to have to reenter a couple of hundred SASS folks into the new database.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dogmeat

517432226_CASScoringTutorial5.0orig.ppsx

OK, so a follow-up post.

Tomorrow, I am hosting a short class on how to enter scores into the iPad's using the CAS Scoring program.  Probably would have been good to know how to do it myself first, but that never stopped me in the past :rolleyes:.   Basically, I needed to have a group of shooters entered into the database of  the tablets so that I could set up a "Test Match".  Knowing how cumbersome it has been to enter data into the SASS Premier program, I thought it would be easier to electronically move the database over to the tablets then it would be to reenter all of the data by hand.  Since I was unable to figure that out today, I decided to bite the bullet and just enter a subset of the shooters by hand.

Well, I was wrong, entering the basic data into the CAS Scoring program was trivial!  I pulled 48 paper scorecards from the "History Pile" and manually entered the shooters info, (Alias, SASS #, and Shooting Category), and in less 30 minutes I was done.  I am totally impressed!  In about another 90 minutes, I had the posse's assigned, all four of the scoring tablets sync'd to my personal iPad that is acting as the master device, and everything ready for the test run tomorrow.  We are going to just enter scores from the old score cards and see how we did.  Not worried about generating reports at tomorrows class, the goal is to just getting folks familiar with using the program to enter the data.  I can work on figuring out how to get the reports generated next week, but from the looks of it, the hardest part will be getting the iPads to play nice with the printer.

If the rest goes as smoothly as this went, then I am sold 100%.  It is almost trivial to add a brand new shooter to the roster during signup at a match.  Still need to figure out a whole bunch of stuff, but so far so good.

Dogmeat

To transfer a shooter database into CAS Scoring see if the SASS program will generate a .csv file, or an excel spreadsheet.  In either case, you may have to open the file in excel and do some editing.  When I did this to seed a new scoring ipad I found that some columns were required or it would stop the import when it got to the empty cell.  In my case I had to enter several bogus SASS numbers, then save the spreadsheet as a .csv file.

To do the actual import email the file to yourself, open the email on the iPad, and from the email tell it to open the file with CAS Scoring.

Thanks!  I tried a couple of different things, including the .csv, but it kept crashing.  Probably, as you indicated, there were either data errors or omissions in the fields for the files I generated.  What I was hoping to find was a description of the import file format for the CAS software.  There is very little documentation that I could find for doing this, from either end of the software.

This morning, after seeing your post, and with a sufficient infusion of coffee, it occurred to me that I could have tried exporting the data from the CAS software to see what it required. :rolleyes:  Guess I will try that later today after Church and the "Training" class.

Only Apple product I seem to get along with is... :P

8558080070_483846547a_o.jpg

but I'm trying... ;)

Thanks for the input!

We had the same issue on transferring files from CAS scoring to another ipad with the program on it.  It will create the CSV file but the ipad would not download it.  I had to put dummy SASS numbers in the CSV file and then it will download.

We have been very happy with it and using the new bluetooth enabled timer.  Two clubs around here have tried a match with a borrowed thmer and have elected to buy the BT timer.

I am glad to see that there is a solution, and I will be working on it over the next couple of weeks as time permits.  Going to try and use the tablets at our monthly match next weekend, and again in May.  Then, if I haven't brought the entire iOS universe to it's knees through my involvement, we will run it at our State match in June, with a paper backup just to be sure!

Thanks to all, and to any others with relevant information.  I will add whatever additional information I discover to this thread as well.

Data transfer is a pita but once it is done, it is done.  I believe there is a way to export the data to the CAS Scoring app website and then send it to the iPads.  In reality though, it is much faster to just enter them manually.  Once you do, they are there for good.  And then it just requires you to add new shooters at registration and verify the categories before the match.  MAKE SURE and use the CAS categories and not the General.  Not sure why this causes issues, but it does.  If someone changes categories permanently (i.e. ages up) change both the general and CAS categories.  If you only change the CAS category, it reverts back the the previous general category for the next match.  

Generating reports is a trial and error deal for each match.  The reason I say this is because each match will have a different amount of shooters and will require different text sizes and orientations to make the reports readable.  When in the reports screen, tap on the "circled i" icon on the right and adjust the orientation and font size there and click the "Override default settings" button on the bottom or it won't update them when the report is generated.  If your match has the same amount of shooters generally, you can figure out what is best and set this as the default and then just adjust as necessary with the method above.  Once you have the settings configured, click on "Done" in the upper right corner of the box, then generate the report to see if it is what you want.  If so, export it and it generates the pdf.  Let me know if you need any help with it.  

Archived