SASS Wire Forum

C.W. McCall Passed

He passed on April Fools Day.  I always remember his song about hauling a load of cluckers when driving through Wolf Creek Pass on US160.  He brought welcome humor to the C&W genre.

(Moderator: this thread belongs in the Saloon.)

A lot of great entertaining stories in his music. I believe he retired from music and went on to be mayor of Ourey, Colorado for a while.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

A lot of great entertaining stories in his music. I believe he retired from music and went on to be mayor of Ourey, Colorado for a while.

Yup.

http://riversedgeouray.com/ourays-one-hit-wonder-mayor/

I too drove Wolf Creek Pass once in my brief stint as an OTR trucker. Went through there in September, weather and scenery were fantastic. I also had a couple of C.W.'s CDs that I about wore out.

Rest in Peace Sir, really enjoyed your music.

I can still picture that album on my record player as a kid. I can't see an underpass height sign on the highway without thinking about clearance to the twelve foot line but them chickens was stacked to thirteen nine!

The fire captain who mentored me (still miss you, Hoss!) once laughted about the time he was running a pumper with hydraulic brakes ... he came down on the brake pedal and he quoted ol' CW, with a laugh, "Felt like I was steppin' on a plum!"
(He manged to steer the pumper into an empty playground and got it stopped, with the help of a gentle grade and much profanity ... the Captain riding beside him was the color of a sheet of paper, but the man was game and bought beer when shift was over!)

Sad news. I could write a dissertation of my memories of life that happened while listening to his music, but I won't bore you. Just one little one. Been many a time I turned on Aurora Borealis and wondered at the night sky. Thanks for the music Duck. Look forward to meeting you on the other side.

JHC "Life is just a collection of memories. And memories are like starlight, they go on forever."

Archived