SASS Wire Forum

32-20 a.k.a. 32 WCF Cowboy Load Data

Blaze_Dawson

Hello everyone. I'm a new cowboy. I've been shooting CAS for a little over 2 months. I have a full set of .357 guns, but I'd like to shoot 32-20. We already had a S&W 1928 Police Positive., and I have the dies for it. Makes sense to me to also add to my guns with the 32-20 since it's actually a cowboy round from the time.

I have Googled cowboy load data many times, as well and searched this forum. I am unable to find any significant load data for this round. I am curious if anyone could share some of their tested loads with me. Right now I am loading with Titegroup. Trailboss is pretty impossible to locate right now. And since I already have the Titegroup, I'd like to load it for the 32-20 also. Thanks for any help you can provide. 

Welcome Blaze.  32-20 is a nice round, and historical as you mentioned.  Very well suited to BP as well.  The factory data for Titegroup is at Hodgdon.com .  With a 115gr bullet, the range is 2.7 to 3.0 gr of Titegroup, for 815-857fps out of their 5.5" barrel.  

Lotsa good guns for the .32-20.   I personally have a Winchester 73, a Winchester 92, a Colt Lightning, an antique Colt 7.5" that started life as a .44-40 that someone converted at some point, a 1st Gen Bisley, and a 3rd Gen SAA. 

It is a great little cartridge, and fun to shoot.

My preferred loading is .313" 100 Grain RNFP bullet over 3.0 Grains of Trailboss.

But, Trailboss is all but impossible to come by these days.   Next time I need to reload, I'll have to find a new powder or by then, hope that Trailboss is back. 

16 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Lotsa good guns for the .32-20.   I personally have a Winchester 73, a Winchester 92, a Colt Lightning, an antique Colt 7.5" that started life as a .44-40 that someone converted at some point, a 1st Gen Bisley, and a 3rd Gen SAA. 

It is a great little cartridge, and fun to shoot.

My preferred loading is .313" 100 Grain RNFP bullet over 3.0 Grains of Trailboss.

But, Trailboss is all but impossible to come by these days.   Next time I need to reload, I'll have to find a new powder or by then, hope that Trailboss is back. 

+1 on this load.

Welcome to the Fire Blaze,

+1 on Abilene's load....When I load smokeless usually use Red Dot because it's available and load other calibers with Same.  Primary load with BP and Subs.  Always with 115 Gr bullet.

Hope that Helps?

Regards

Texas Red

Archived