SASS Wire Forum

To me an ugly lookin' lever action

Buckshot Bear

1 minute ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Ugly?  At least.

Ridiculous?  Absolutely.

Useless?  In my opinion, YES!

...... I dunno about useless ...... well, not COMPLETELY useless ............. it looks like it can make a "bang" noise .....   :mellow:

Man, you all really make me laugh sometimes. 

“Oh my eyes…take it away….it’s ridiculous and offensive!”:lol::lol::lol:

If you don’t like them, don’t buy them. Simple!

They must be selling though because every company making lever guns has ‘em and mark my words, Marlin will release them AGAIN as well. 

I can’t tell you how many young guys I have personally heard say “Now that’s cool! And it’s a lever gun! How great is that?!” Or something along those lines. 

If gun companies made products that only suited uptight old guys there would be a helluva lot less gun companies. 

Mossberg is worse.  Has a 6 position tacticool stock.    Saw one on local classifieds with vertical front grip   LOL    GW

33 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Man, you all really make me laugh sometimes. 

“Oh my eyes…take it away….it’s ridiculous and offensive!”:lol::lol::lol:

If you don’t like them, don’t buy them. Simple!

They must be selling though because every company making lever guns has ‘em and mark my words, Marlin will release them AGAIN as well. 

I can’t tell you how many young guys I have personally heard say “Now that’s cool! And it’s a lever gun! How great is that?!” Or something along those lines. 

If gun companies made products that only suited uptight old guys there would be a helluva lot less gun companies. 

There is a story about how the folks who developed Teen Aged Mutant Ninja Turtles came up with the idea, each just adding parts to the name.  That is what these kinds of firearms remind me of - funny. 

The reality is that if you walk into most gun stores you will be hard pressed to find anything made of wood.  Black guns are "in" right now and for the foreseeable future.

To me, plastic stocks are 'bout as good as a plastic saddle.  I know all the reasons they're supposed to be superior (tho I think the main thing is that they're cheap to make) I have a 70 series got in trade that came with one, replaced it with a nice aftermarket laminated thumbhole.

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

True, I suppose, but there were a lot of generations of those uptight old guys, and most of them were young in their time....Why have the 'traditional' designs lasted for well over a century?

50 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I actually really like these:

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/big-boy-x-model/

I would like one in .45 Colt

image.thumb.jpeg.04f8c7f3b4ac779438bf0b5b1e97a53f.jpeg

If someone gives me one I'll either give it to you or sell it REAL cheap

JHC :P

I think some of you are missing my point. LEVER GUN POPULARITY IS DYING! The ugly black guns are renewing interest. 

Just now, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I think some of you are missing my point. LEVER GUN POPULARITY IS DYING! The ugly black guns are renewing interest. 

I get that. If they're waiting on my money it will be a LOOOOONNNNNGGG wait. If I found one for $50 at a garage sale I'd buy it just cuz I could probably make a profit reselling it.

JHC

yuck.jpg

There’s a lever action page on Facebook. When someone posts such a gun there are outraged shouts of Blasphemy. But there are quite a few in favor also. Same on the SKS page.

I’m neutral on it. I say it’s your gun, your choice.
I have more important things to examine, experience, and rant about. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I actually really like these:

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/big-boy-x-model/

I would like one in .45 Colt

image.thumb.jpeg.04f8c7f3b4ac779438bf0b5b1e97a53f.jpeg

I've been waiting for this in 30-30. 

I've handled quite a few of these Henry X models. They ain't cowboy glamorous but they sure are smoooooth. Plenty of folks find a lot of function in these as well. Lots of folks like to run these suppressed because fun. 

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

I've been waiting for this in 30-30. 

I've handled quite a few of these Henry X models. They ain't cowboy glamorous but they sure are smoooooth. Plenty of folks find a lot of function in these as well. Lots of folks like to run these suppressed because fun. 

I was in a gun store in West Virginia last week and they had a full selection of Henry rifles including some of the X models. I am pretty sure I saw a 30-30, a .44 Magnum and a 45-70. They didn’t have a .45 Colt though. They also had a version of that Rossi that @Buckshot Bear posted. 

27 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Kinda like ice cream: everyone has their own favorite flavor.

I'll bet your is sardine and spinach with buffalo chip sauce.

I seem to recall you saying we thought a lot alike. I wasn’t aware you liked spinach and sardines together. :P

13 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

To me, plastic stocks are 'bout as good as a plastic saddle.  I know all the reasons they're supposed to be superior (tho I think the main thing is that they're cheap to make) I have a 70 series got in trade that came with one, replaced it with a nice aftermarket laminated thumbhole.

Laminate? That's not real wood! It's just wood particles and glue and resin acting like real wood! You need a nice piece of walnut on that thing! And thumbhole stocks are just ugly and ridiculous looking!

Yes, I'm kidding, but hopefully I sort of make the point that one man's treasure can be another man's trash. Well, I'm not a real fan of the looks of thumbhole stocks, but that's entirely subjective.

I'm with @Pat Riot, SASS #13748on this one.  The best way to drive people out of shooting is to ridicule their choices and likes. Make fun of the old shooter by calling him a "Fudd." Be condescending to the new shooter because he or she doesn't have the level of knowledge it took decades to obtain. Criticize the choice of firearm because it isn't what "you" would shoot, or it isn't "elegant" enough, "tactical" enough or whatever. Insult the brand of firearm they choose because it isn't a "real" Winchester, or it's not a Ruger or Sig or... 

At a time when we still have our 2A rights under fire, I would think we could try to avoid circular firing squads on occasion.

"We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." Benjamin Franklin

Why do I read and respond to these threads while I'm still on my first cup of coffee?

34 minutes ago, DocWard said:

At a time when we still have our 2A rights under fire, I would think we could try to avoid circular firing squads on occasion.

Excellent analogy or metaphor. May I use that?

34 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Why do I read and respond to these threads while I'm still on my first cup of coffee?

I have taken to writing up a response, leaving the thread then returning, as the “editor” will save my post, rereading what I wrote then deciding whether or not to post…as I did this morning and deleted what I was going to post last night. 

Doc more eloquently said what I was going to say last night.

—————————————————

My point was going to be directly related to SASS and CAS as an example. It seems in our game that one goes through a lot of time and money to get all the gear and guns needed for a person’s first match only to find out they got the “wrong” gun(s) or they need “slickin’ up” and more money or other guns are needed. And folks are willing to remind one of that over and over and over at every match. Just nice folks telling someone how to spend their money to their own satisfaction. 
It’s a free service that comes with membership & participation and it seems to carry over into all things SASS…like the Wire. 

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I seem to recall you saying we thought a lot alike. I wasn’t aware you liked spinach and sardines together. :P

A LOT alike, but not  100%.   Like I've said before, "You go to your church and I'll go to mine".  My church doesn't allow spinach or sardines or buffalo chips or yuggly guns.

Seems I recall you having some gorgeous guns, too.  I guess it's true that beauty is in the hold of the be-eyer.

:blink:

23 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It seems in our game that one goes through a lot of time and money to get all the gear and guns needed for a person’s first match only to find out they got the “wrong” gun(s) or they need “slickin’ up” and more money or other guns are needed. And folks are willing to remind one of that over and over and over at every match. Just nice folks telling someone how to spend their money to their own satisfaction. 
It’s a free service that comes with membership & participation

Not exactly the same thing, but I remember this fella giving me some advice, maybe 15 years ago.

I had just finished my stage and was putting my long guns back in the cart, when this guy comes up and informs me that if I were to learn how to reload I could make lighter loads which would allow me to get back on target faster and shorten my times.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt, that he was actually trying to be helpful, and I did not tell him what I was thinking - I've been reloading longer than you've been alive punk.

It's just the way I choose to play the game. My shots do not go pop tink. Mine go pow clang.

Archived