SASS Wire Forum

WtC? Two Stages Make a Match

So shooter restages rifle after the rifle string is completed.  Chamber empty, Lever open, (and necessarily hammer cocked). 

The rifle bumps the table on release, closing the lever.  Condition:  action closed on empty chamber, hammer cocked, gun has left shooter's hand.  SDQ  (according to the video? )

Per SHB, Shooter can return to correct it before the next gun type is fired, but per the video, the SDQ occurred as soon as closed, cocked rifle left shooter's hand.  Clarification Pls?  What am I overlooking?  Are we only talking about INITIAL staging here and MOVEMENT with a closed, cocked long gun?

27 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

So shooter restages rifle after the rifle string is completed.  Chamber empty, Lever open, (and necessarily hammer cocked). 

The rifle bumps the table on release, closing the lever.  Condition:  action closed on empty chamber, hammer cocked, gun has left shooter's hand.  SDQ  (according to the video? )

Per SHB, Shooter can return to correct it before the next gun type is fired, but per the video, the SDQ occurred as soon as closed, cocked rifle left shooter's hand.  Clarification Pls?  What am I overlooking?  Are we only talking about INITIAL staging here and MOVEMENT with a closed, cocked long gun?

The SDQ penalty is only for Initially Staging the rifle in that condition.

SHB pg 22

Initially staging a long gun with the hammer cocked/action closed (once it leaves the shooter’s hands).

When restaging the rifle, the lever does not even need to be open

SHB pg 14

Rifles will be cleared and discarded with their barrels pointing in a safe direction. If the action of a rifle closes after being cleared, the shooter will, at the conclusion of the stage, show it to be clear to the TO. No person other than the competitor may handle the long gun prior to opening the action and showing it to be clear.

When moving with a rifle during the course of fire, the following applies:

SHB pg 15

A rifle is considered SAFE for movement (in hand, while moving through a stage) in the following condition only:

- Hammer fully down on an empty chamber or expended round, action closed.

- Action open, round on carrier or in chamber.

On page 14 of the SHB it states the following:

Rifles will be cleared and discarded with their barrels pointing in a safe direction. If the action of a rifle closes after being cleared, the shooter will, at the conclusion of the stage, show it to be clear to the TO. No person other than the competitor may handle the long gun prior to opening the action and showing it to be clear.

in the video I believe he was talking about staging the long guns before actually shooting the stage.

59 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Many shooters confuse the rules governing the pistols and governing long guns.  I had a very experienced shooter ask whether discarding a (cleared) rifle with the action closed, hammer cocked, was a penalty for “a cocked gun leaving the shooter’s hand”.

2 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Clarification Pls?  What am I overlooking?  Are we only talking about INITIAL staging here and MOVEMENT with a closed, cocked long gun?

In addition to the above clarifying movement with long guns, there is one important takeaway on moving with a rifle:

The ONLY time you can move with the rifle with the hammer back, action closed, without a round in the chamber is from the loading table to the line. Remember that the rifle is also normally loaded at that point, just not one in the chamber.

During the course of fire, or from the stage to the ULT, if you change location with an rifle, empty or loaded, action closed, with the hammer back, it is a Stage DQ.

Archived