SASS Wire Forum

Removed

It’s correct. It’s becoming harder to get one with all Springfield or IHC or whichever manufacturer. CMP is just putting out expert models that have criterion barrels and mixed parts. The complete M1’s are going to the auction site and selling for thousands. Right now the CMP auction site has a correct grade SA, WWII vintage like current bid is $3552.00 and with more than a day to go, it will likely go higher. So I feel I’m fairly priced. 

Just to add, I have sold all my other M1’s over the past few years as I’m retired and like buying guns and such. I sold then for a range of prices based on what year, who made it condition etc. anywhere from $1,500.00 to $2800.00 but this was my best one with the tightest barrel numbers it’s a competitive shooter for someone with skill and it is WWII vintage, complete and correct which I value. Others may be happy with less but that’s their choice. I’m no expert but my value is based on what I feel is the right value. 

The M1 would not be considered correct. It has a new manufactured CMP stock. The correct stock would have GAW or NFR stamped on it. The case shown is not from 2012, the CMP did not start using that type in the last couple of years. Another useful picture would be the date stamp on the barrel.

I’m out hunting turkey right now but later I will get a pic of the barrel and the CMP Certificate. I don’t know about the hang tag as bought this from an individual before I knew about the CMP. ITS A 2012 gun. 

It is a beautiful gun, but would be considered an excellent condition ‘shooter’, not a ‘collector’. To many collectors the original stock is more important than the barrel, as it is the first thing your eye is drawn to. The CMP is doing interesting things and setting their own prices, which some people bite on, but collectors willing to pay the money for safe queens usually look elsewhere.

however, as a shooter, she is beautiful and will put a smile on anyones face who touches it.

if you are lucky and can find a period appropriate stock in good shape to drop the assembly into, you would do a service to its history, and can bring it from a shooter to a collector.

On 4/1/2022 at 4:17 AM, Chenoa Tim said:

The M1 would not be considered correct. It has a new manufactured CMP stock. The correct stock would have GAW or NFR stamped on it. The case shown is not from 2012, the CMP did not start using that type in the last couple of years. Another useful picture would be the date stamp on the barrel.

Agreed, definitely a new stock…nice gun but I would not consider it a correct gun. 

Military rifles have one advantage - there were a lot of them, and there are still lots of parts.  If the metal is right the wood can be replaced.  I built up a Krag Rifle and Carbine to correct by replacing a few bits & pieces.  Weird as it sounds, the replacement handguard on the carbine had an abrasion that exactly matched one on the stock.  They sold as complete and correct. 

• Mezcal Charlie changed the title to FS NON SASS M1 Garand $2450

Archived