SASS Wire Forum

American Indians and gun maintenance

Buckshot Bear

Anyone ever read anything about American Indians and their gun maintenance?

Something I've thought about. Did they have screwdrivers and the wherewithal to take a toggle link apart and oil and clean it?

Did the gun sellers sell them tools, cleaning bit & pieces? Did they strip soldiers bodies after a battle taking not only the firearms but the cleaning gear as well?

They would have been quite foreign things in the very beginning, but they would have quickly learnt that they rusted and developed problems and needed maintenance. Just wondered if there's ever been any history pieces written on how they went about it.

They would repair stocks with wire and rawhide and decorate them with tacks frequently. That’s about it. The more industrious fellas move have figured out a few things but about the only tools they had were knives. The guns that weren’t surrendered probably eventually fell apart or became inoperable.

Putting it simply, they had about as much ability to repair a firearm as I do today! :blush:

And I've got Snip-it_1648727708557.jpg.214ca0eae4e65029342d8d85f35e66c2.jpg as my sidekick! :lol:

10 hours ago, largo casey #19191 said:

I have a few I believe came off the Navajo Reservation.

Largo

Yeah, the pawn shops are full of em.

Archived