SASS Wire Forum

? re New Vaquero Hammers

Are you wanting something like the Super Blackhawk hammer?  That's what alot of us have used.

Good luck, 

BS

37 minutes ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

The “old” model Vaquero hammers will fit a New Model also and have a standard width hammer that is lower than the New Models. It’s not as low as the super Blackhawk hammers though. 

I did not know this. I've never owned a nmv to find it out. @Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 I have some omv hammers that I'll never use if they are what youre looking for. 

T.F. Jack 

Just a little trivia info, the New Vaquero hammer will not fit in an original Vaquero without a bit of grinding. 

A Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk or original Vaquero will "fit" into a New Model Vaquero. There will be a bit of a gap at the back, the notch in the frame. A bit ugly if aesthetics matter to you. 

The NMV hammer is a fairly close copy of the Colt SAA hammer. 

OP was asking about the hammer that came in the Cowboy Fast Draw Association model. I'm curious as to the p'n on that one.

BB

This high-gloss stainless steel New Vaquero comes with the “old-style” Vaquero hammer, giving fast draw shooters a time-saving advantage by providing a more natural fit for this style of shooting. Only 1,000 of these models will be produced and they will bear a special serial number sequence in honor of the Cowboy Fast Draw Association: CFDA-XXXX (0001-1,000).

The wife of a now retired cowboy shooter wanted lowered hammers on her Rugers, but she hated the wider profile of the SBH.  A mutual friend who is a trained machinist and gun affectionato, machined Ruger Bisley hammers so they would fit her Vaqueros.  It cost them a little more money, but she got what she wanted.

On 3/31/2022 at 10:58 AM, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

The wife of a now retired cowboy shooter wanted lowered hammers on her Rugers, but she hated the wider profile of the SBH.  A mutual friend who is a trained machinist and gun affectionato, machined Ruger Bisley hammers so they would fit her Vaqueros.  It cost them a little more money, but she got what she wanted.

It would probably have been easier to grind down the sides of Super Blackhawk hammers. They would drop in no machining or Bisley trigger needed

4 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

It would probably have been easier to grind down the sides of Super Blackhawk hammers. They would drop in no machining or Bisley trigger needed

The hammers were machined to be identical to the bottom of a Vaquero hammer - no Bisley trigger needed.  He did try to convince her have the sides of SB hammers thinned or switch to Bisleys model pistols.  She insisted on the Bisley hammers and he caved.  The sad part was after he spent the money to get her what she wanted, she quit shooting a few months later. :wacko:

On 3/30/2022 at 7:46 PM, Hendo said:

Just an FYI, I bought SBH hammers for my Vaqueros and milled them down to standard width. Not for everyone, but I like them.

On 3/30/2022 at 7:46 PM, Hendo said:

Just an FYI, I bought SBH hammers for my Vaqueros and milled them down to standard width. Not for everyone, but I like them.

I did the same thing 15 years ago look and feel great!

Archived