SASS Wire Forum

Shooting to Live

Rip Snorter

Another interesting book, both from a historical perspective and a practical one.  Had the good fortune to come across a minty copy of Shooting to Live by W.E.Faribairn and E.A.Sykes.  Though the doctrine is different from what is current, it was well tested and proven in Shanghai before the war, and by English and American SOE personnel during the war.  In fact, there are many markers that guide toward modern pistolcraft.  If you are interested in such things, a quick and interesting read and a nice addition to any WWII collection.  BTW - These are the same fellows who designed the British WWII Commando Knife.

Just now, Utah Bob #35998 said:

63C8C4CC-D49A-4209-87DF-814CD51E1070.jpeg

Unfortunately, I gave my examples to friends.  As with many things the prices now are quite astonishing.  Mine were Broad Arrow marked and had version numbers.  I may have to go with the best copy I can find to fill that blank spot.

William Fairbairn is one of my heroes.  He developed a hand to hand method with the unfortunately ridiculous name of "Defendu" while a police commander in Singapore.  It is said he survived over a hundred hand-to-hand street fights while creating this system.

He and a man named designed and used and taught the use of a double edged fighting knife which is still in use today in various forms.  The Gerber Mk. II "Commando "knife is a very slightly modified version of that knife.

I studied what I could get on the subject while on Okinawa in the late '60s  and used it to my personal advantage a time or two, though I never was all that good at it.  I'd like to get all of his moves and diagrams, even though at my age I'l likely to be more dangerous to myself than anyone else.

It's a self defense system where your opponent is totally disabled, usually by dying abruptly.  It isn't systematic, not based on smooth dance-like movements, and not using any special weapons.  You simply develop a mind-set that where you are vicious and brutal starting seconds before the fight starts and disable, cripple and /or kill your opponent before he does the same to you.

You also expect to get hurt and fight through it.

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

William Fairbairn is one of my heroes.  He developed a hand to hand method with the unfortunately ridiculous name of "Defendu" while a police commander in Singapore.  It is said he survived over a hundred hand-to-hand street fights while creating this system.

He and a man named designed and used and taught the use of a double edged fighting knife which is still in use today in various forms.  The Gerber Mk. II "Commando "knife is a very slightly modified version of that knife.

I studied what I could get on the subject while on Okinawa in the late '60s  and used it to my personal advantage a time or two, though I never was all that good at it.  I'd like to get all of his moves and diagrams, even though at my age I'l likely to be more dangerous to myself than anyone else.

It's a self defense system where your opponent is totally disabled, usually by dying abruptly.  It isn't systematic, not based on smooth dance-like movements, and not using any special weapons.  You simply develop a mind-set that where you are vicious and brutal starting seconds before the fight starts and disable, cripple and /or kill your opponent before he does the same to you.

You also expect to get hurt and fight through it.

If you can find a copy, Rex Applegate did an exhaustive study on fighting with double edged knives.  Been looking or one. Applegate also improved the knife design based on experiences during the war  The Applegate - Fairbairn.  

Fairbairns basic design, which was basically medieval, was the model for the First Special Service Force V42, the Marine Raider Stiletto, the French Commando dagger, and as Buckshot posted, the Aussie stiletto.

I bought mine from a magazine ad when I was about 13. Mom wasn’t thrilled. I had it in the army from 66-70. It’s not a MOD issue no broad arrow stamp. But I like it. The wartime issues are hundreds of dollars going up to thousands these days. Hard to see but it’s on my belt here.

8CE5CC6E-E247-4D17-B12B-F2D0CDF48384.jpeg

I've been looking for  Gerber original style Mk. II, plain un-serrated blade with the slightly offset angle since 1969.  I carried mine the entire time I was in 'Nam and gave it to my clerk when I left.  I figured I'd get another one once I got back home.  It was several years before I found one and it was in really shabby shape.  When I finally found a good one with the angled plain blade it was going for $300.00.  At that time I was only earning about $750.00 a month and had a wife, two kids, and a dog to feed and living expenses.

Last one I saw in like-new condition was over ten years ago and selling for $1,220.00.

I have another weapon that I never learned to use well: a manriki gusari.  My sensei made us make our own.  I don't know what became of it, but I bought a nice replica for under $50.00.  Damn near took an eye out with it carried a marvelously colorful bruise on my forehead for  month.  It (the manriki, not the bruise) looks good hanging on my wall.

8 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

3A743D00-0F03-4642-96C1-1A2D72A30ECD.jpeg

I saw a short video where a supposed SAS veteran of WW2 mentioned that they didn't slit throats with these but instead inserted it in the neck near the jugular and then sliced out from the cut. It was quite graphic sounding.

Archived