SASS Wire Forum

Cold bluing

Barbwire Bill, SASS #661

I've had good results with the Birchwood Casey touch up pen. You can get it from Amazon.

713201 Bw Casey Presto Pen Gun Blue Touch-Up https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TTIEY6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_98W0Y22Z7E8E7BP5T7JZ

21p5NH63mUL._AC_SY1000_.jpg.676b1d9a28e72757432a189d74332c9c.jpg

The only cold blue that I find worth using is Brownell's OxphoBlue.   All the rest I have tried in the past (a lot) are very easily worn off.

good luck, GJ

I’ve blued entire flintlocks with Birchwood Casey cold bluing paste.    I use the Birchwood Casey pen for touch ups and Birchwood Casey paste for larger areas. Important thing is to follow the instructions for the degreasing prep and cold water finish.  I’ve never had the blue finish wear off or rust.  

Have to add a couple of +1 for the Oxpho Blue, I have tried them all and Oxpho seems to work the best, be VERY careful not to contaminate the bottle buy using the same cloth or q tip more than once, I have found ANY contamination of the Oxpho in its original bottle will ruin it in just a few weeks and once opened I seal the jar in a ziplock bag, I have actually refinished my original Vaqueros muzzle to butt and they will last a season or two

16 hours ago, Barbwire Bill, SASS #661 said:

What pen do you use?  I see it listed as black.  Is that the same as blue? 

I've used mostly to touch up a small scratch or nicked screw. Work ok, but needs occasional refreshing.

We use Perma most of the time. Light heat and multi coats with light heat and buffing between coats.

We are chopping 6 Winchester 97's down today for customers and re-blueing and of course new beads the size of a tennis ball!!! :D

The pens work for very small touch spots and ox blue has worked great for us on newer firearms. 

18 hours ago, C.C. Top said:

We are chopping 6 Winchester 97's down today for customers and re-blueing and of course new beads the size of a tennis ball!!! :D

Sorry to stray off-topic a bit, but I've chopped down 4 Win 1897/97s, used Birchwood Casey cold blue on the cut muzzles, and didn't replace the bead on any of them and everyone seems perfectly satisfied and capable of 100% knock-downs without the bead at SASS bad-breath target distances.  I find the bead to be an unnecessary distraction on a gun that is merely pointed, and not truly aimed, at the target.  As long as the gun is properly mounted to your shoulder and cheek, it shoots where you look; it really is as simple as that.  And cowboys "riding shotgun" on Old West stagecoaches didn't have beads on their sawed-off SxS guns either.  I

Archived