SASS Wire Forum

Heritage rough rider

Rafe Conager SASS #56958

So I have inherited an old 22 pistol and a winchester 9422 from my late father in law,  the pistol is in ok shape,  it looks like a real early heritage rough rider pistol, one of the clubs i shoot with is allowing an unofficial category using 22s. I know that rugers are much better however they are 80-100 more than the  heritage rough rider. I probably won't be shooting it a ton but was just wondering if anyone has used one for a cowboy match and will they hold up.

Rafe 

Yes they will,  had a Buckaroo use them last season.  Just don’t forget about the safety on it.  

The Roughriders are great little guns. Got a pair of them here and they are accurate and relible little guns. Mine are not ammo fussy at all.

there was a young buckaroo i knew well back when i started this game , he shot a pair of them and they worked just fine , he had no issues at all , finding leather should not be an issue either , 

but it might be fun to add the ruger to the mix that way your not doubling up on something you will only shoot occasionally , keep you 22 accumulation/collection a bit more interesting , 

I don't know if the older models will take a magnum cylinder, but I bought a grandson two RRs, both included an extra mag cylinder and he doesn't shoot anything but the mags; it makes the LR seem kind'a wimpy after a few boxes of the mag. But they seem to be great little guns; we have not had any type of problem with them.

Ornery Cuss

My son shot them when he first started.   Both broke in the first year.  One had a pawl break, both broke the pawl spring.  One broke in the first three months.  It was a nightmare getting it repaired under warranty by Heritage as they wouldn't send me parts.   Also their phone service number sat on hold numerous times for 45 minutes before getting a person.  You can order a few springs off their website.   As for the guns if you can get one around $100 they are pretty good little shooters.  His first one was very accurate shooting rim-fire silhouettes out to 40m once you got the hold right.  I have seen mixed review on the accuracy though some saying they had poor crown from factory. 

That said if you are planning on shooting them a lot in competition.   The Ruger Wrangler while not much to look at is a much better built gun especially if you can find them around $170 and they take abuse of being ran hard and fired a lot better than the heritages.   On a side note we have had wranglers break also.  One had the ejector rod break and the hammer plunger.  A quick email to Ruger and  replacement part was at my house in less than a week.

1 hour ago, Ornery Cuss, SASS # 76071 said:

I don't know if the older models will take a magnum cylinder, but I bought a grandson two RRs, both included an extra mag cylinder and he doesn't shoot anything but the mags; it makes the LR seem kind'a wimpy after a few boxes of the mag. But they seem to be great little guns; we have not had any type of problem with them.

Ornery Cuss

I'm sure you don't mean that he shoots 22 WRM in SASS?

Couple of thoughts -

It didn't cost you anything so buy a 2nd one and shoot the heck out of them. 

If you take good care of them, they should hold up for awhile. They run better when you keep them clean.  Will they hold up like a Ruger?  Maybe.  You could have 2 shooters for the price of 1 Ruger so run ‘em and have fun. See you Sunday!

True! I ordered a replacement mag tube inside for the 9422 he wanted me to have as the original is bent to help and back.  Got to looking at the pistol he left it is an FIE texican, looks a whole lot like the heritage same safety and all. Can't find info on it but looks like numerich still has parts for them. 

Rafe

I have had a Roughrider for years. I bought it just to plink around with. When ammo got scarce, I bought a pair of Wranglers to use for SASS.

While the Wranglers are head and shoulders above the Roughrider in fit-and-finish the performance is no better.

In my opinion the Roughrider makes an excellent entry level firearm.

Lucky :)

Gift from my family 1983 was a FIE 22 caliber revolver similar to Heritage. Still shooting to this date and no problem I did replace grips from Heritage because I liked this particular design. Regular grips still like new. Though its a FIE I believe its the same . Family got it for  $66.83  in 1983 which includes tax. Still have the bill of sale.  Add to this it is a FIE Texas Ranger.

DSCN6182.JPG

Pulled the trigger! So to speak,  I found a good heritage RR and plunked down the cash, except for the grips it is almost identical to the FIE texican my father in law gave me.  Going to try them out this weekend,  the mag tube insert came in Saturday so I am good to go. 

Rafe 

Archived