SASS Wire Forum

Range report 12 gauge using International Clays

Paulo Pistolero

Using a MEC 600 jr Mk5 loader with a loading bar for 1oz 8shot. The bushings used with approximate grains dropped of international clays.

#23 bushing ≈ 18.3 grains

#20 bushing ≈ 15.4 grains

#19 bushing ≈ 12.8 grains

#17 bushing ≈  11.7 grains

Asa Smith and I both shouldered each of these loads. The 18.3 and 15.4 loads both had some kick. Velocities around 1080 and a bit lower by Chrony brand chronometer. The 12.8 grain loads in the 900’s and felt pretty good on the shoulder. The 11.7 performed the best on the shoulder. Actually felt like Winchester AA 980fps. So there you have it. Yes if needed international clays can be used!! RIGHT ASA!!!  So the test was productive and got to shoot with a great friend!!  What a day!!

Well, what hulls, wad(s) used and what shot weight?   Vital info if anyone else wants to try this.

good luck, GJ

I'm betting you can go even lighter.   We were working on a buckarette load using Trailboss in 12ga and it just worked 'ok' since she didn't have to knock over targets, but there was a need to use 2 powders (father had one load, daughter had another).  So, we experimented with regular Clays and settled on 10.9 grains and 1oz of #7.5.  We liked it so much, I still shoot that load today.

Totes

26 minutes ago, Totes Magoats said:

I'm betting you can go even lighter.   We were working on a buckarette load using Trailboss in 12ga and it just worked 'ok' since she didn't have to knock over targets, but there was a need to use 2 powders (father had one load, daughter had another).  So, we experimented with regular Clays and settled on 10.9 grains and 1oz of #7.5.  We liked it so much, I still shoot that load today.

Totes

You are probably right. I think I am satisfied at 11.7 grains.  Turning 65 next month. As I get older and the old shoulder gets a bit more fragile I will test lighter loads. 

While testing the shotgun loads Asa and I took time to shoot my Kentucky flintlock rifle I assembled from a kit. Those flintlock rifles are fun to shoot. Makes you think about our founders fighting. Must have been mostly sword and butt of rifle because reloading isA CHORE!!  BTW Asa nailed a small target dead on. The second video. That is quite a feat considering discharge delay!!

49 minutes ago, Paulo Pistolero said:

While testing the shotgun loads Asa and I took time to shoot my Kentucky flintlock rifle I assembled from a kit. Those flintlock rifles are fun to shoot. Makes you think about our founders fighting. Must have been mostly sword and butt of rifle because reloading isA CHORE!!  BTW Asa nailed a small target dead on. The second video. That is quite a feat considering discharge delay!!

IMG_3016.MOV 5.21 MB · 2 downloads IMG_3012.MOV 8.38 MB · 0 downloads

You need to do some tweaking, shouldn't have any where near that much delay. Are you using real BP? Should be a micro second slower than a percussion rifle. Flintlocks in my experience don't like subs. FWIW

13 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OP, those MEC bushing powder weights, is that what you measured, or what MEC sez they'll throw? 

OLG 

In the range I weighed on a new, not battery operated, Hornady scale. Was never a consistent drop always a range + or - .1 to .3 grains. Scale was allowed to warm up.

21 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

You need to do some tweaking, shouldn't have any where near that much delay. Are you using real BP? Should be a micro second slower than a percussion rifle. Flintlocks in my experience don't like subs. FWIW

Yes I am on a learning curve. I did not have 4f powder for the flash pan. We used a mortar and pestle to take 2f and make it finer. Was using triple seven powder.

1 minute ago, Paulo Pistolero said:

Yes I am on a learning curve. I did not have 4f powder for the flash pan. We used a mortar and pestle to take 2f and make it finer. Was using triple seven powder.

ALot of folks I shoot with here even use 3F for priming. Try real 2F in the barrel. They are surely a grin.

Everything I have read about Trailboss says not to use it for shotshells.   Granted, I have often thought it would be nice to be able to do so, but there is no loading data,  and when asked, Hodgdon says it's not suitable.  

I use Red Dot, for shotshells.   My "classic" load that my Dad developed as a trap shooter was 16.4 grains of Red Dot in both Winchester AA's and Magtech all brass.   Using 7.5 size shot, 1-1/8 ounces of it.   Works great for trap.

Recently, after reading some comments from others, I reduced the load to 10 grains and cut back to 1 ounce of shot.   It takes down the take downs, reduces recoil a bit, and makes the powder last longer.   I still use the "classic" load for trap.

And these days, Trailboss is impossible to come by, and Hodgdon is rather cagy about when it will be made again.   I have also been unable find any Red Dot for quite some time.  I have found other powders, Win 231, that I use for most of my pistol powders, but I have not yet figured out what to use for shotshells if I can't find any Red Dot.  Not done any research on a good powder for "rifle" cartridges  that'll give me the mild recoil that Trailboss does.   I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Claybuster lists CB1118-12 (WAA12) as optimal for 1 oz. Those are rose colored. The grey CB1100-12 (WAA12SL) wad will load 7/8 or 1 oz but is listed as optimal for 7/8. You will save some shot if you try 7/8 oz.

MEC has a pretty inclusive bushing/powder chart. I've always found it necessary to measure the actual weight. I've never had to vary more than one bushing from the recommended though. 

Thanks for posting the chrono figures, it does show a fairly linear velocity curve.

Bushing #

Grains of Clays 

12A

13A

Archived