SASS Wire Forum

Founders Ranch

doc roy l. pain

Doc, that's about $3.5 mil out of my price range.

But thanks for the lemon juice on my paper cut.

;-)

I miss it already. Hope someone enjoys it as much as I did from 2004 thru 2020.  Stayed there and shot there so many times.  It was also one of my late wife's (Miss Ann) favorite places to enjoy.

"Times, they are  changing."

4 minutes ago, Grass Range said:

Does not look like it would sustain livestock

Not many.  May be why it comes with a “small herd of longhorns”.  Also, very little water available.

It is very nice to look at and a lot of good memories have been made there by cowboy shooters.  I just can’t get over how much they are asking for that property (which may be cheap per acre for that area for all I know).

1 hour ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

While I realize it has a house and a few buildings on it, that is over $7600/acre for exceptionally poor land.  Seems way over-priced to me.

Must be pricing it for the timber, lol

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

3.65 million dollars and you still don't have water rights.  I'm thinking that property is about 3 million dollars overpriced.  

New Mexico law provides for the limited use of relatively small amounts of public underground waters in the irrigation of not to exceed one acre of noncommercial trees, lawn or garden, and for household or other domestic use.  This would be enough to serve the ranch house if the water table could provide the water.  However, many locations around FR lack a water table.  Houses rely on trucked in water.

ABQ-area shooters lost a decent sporting clays range, a location for concealed carry and security guard qualification and a home for several action shooting sport clubs.  A wild bunch club and a CAS club closed.  Another CAS club moved its matches to a public range in ABQ that already hosts SASS matches.

Use to make the trek to FR three times a year.  They had Outlaw Trail, EOT and a fall match that was a Regional for a while.  Then it went to two, then one.  Lots of good memories but times change and SASS is changing with the times.

31 minutes ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Wondering if they had the epa do lead study before letting it be listed.

Rafe 

SASS has always diligently tracked the presence and impact of lead on the property and implemented and maintained an Environmental Stewardship Plan with soil samples, analysis, and mitigation addressed annually. In fact,  SASS has been an active participant in the development of the Environmental Stewardship Plan spearheaded by the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) for many years. Our ESP was presented to the broker and will be fully disclosed to any potential buyer(s). 

Misty

2 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

At one point, there was a company that "harvested" lead from ranges and recycled it.  Can't recall the name.

There are numerous lead reclamation companies across the US. 

MM

I think that a property like this is priced more on potential revenue stream than acreage. It is after all a functioning business. The price of an acre of farmland vs an acre with a McDonald’s on it would be different too. Just MHO. 

2 hours ago, Mezcal Charlie said:

I think that a property like this is priced more on potential revenue stream than acreage. It is after all a functioning business. The price of an acre of farmland vs an acre with a McDonald’s on it would be different too. Just MHO. 

I’m pretty sure if it was profitable, they’d not be selling.

21 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

What happens to the premium RV lots that Chiseler sold to some cowpokes?  :rolleyes:

The ones with water and electrical?

51 minutes ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

I’m pretty sure if it was profitable, they’d not be selling.

Well that’s true but the potential earnings, earnings history, the Covid thing and perhaps poor management play a part and I can’t tell you the number of failing bars that get purchased by someone who knows the business from the customer side of the business that knows he can run it better than the current owner and turn it around. Don’t underestimate the power of self delusion for someone chasing a dream. And having millions doesn’t necessarily mean smart. 

Used to be a 'dry pinto bean' farm if I recall...

All the terraces were the bean farm.

Rains brought two retaining ponds that were used to aid in irrigation.

The Long Horn, as well as the Buffalo that used to roam, were perfectly happy and fed.

Sad to see it vaccant...hope to see it bought and useful again.

The negative comments bring nothing to this topic...

Billy Boots...we know what living in a poor County can do to well laid plans.

Well I hope the owners success with selling it. None of my business or anyone else what they sell it for. They've always had my back and I'll always have theirs. I dug most of the holes with my tractor for the split rail fence and the loading/unloading tables. Have a lot of good memories with Hipshot, Chisler and Coyote Calhoun at the start of Founders Ranch. The owners of the ranch built a game we can all enjoy or complain about. My choice, the glass is half full, not empty. If there was a way to turn the clock back, I would do it all again. And dang it, I miss my friend Coyote Calhoun. 

SASS is in good hands with Misty and she also has my full support.

23 minutes ago, Long Hunter SASS #20389L said:

. And dang it, I miss my friend Coyote Calhoun. 

I miss him too! We worked very closely together on the ROC and got a lot accomplished.

6 hours ago, Mezcal Charlie said:

Show me the Water...or a Micky D's :lol:

Chisler...wasn't he the...oh...nevermind.

But I do hope the guys get as much as possible...except for Chisler...if he's an owner.

Phantom

Chisler has been gone at least 10 years.  I heard he went off to play in mounted shooting and I never heard from him again.  

The problem is, the property was set up for a specific use, which apparently wasn't profitable.  It's not like a completing Cowboy Action Shooting Organization is going to buy it.  I don't think farming dry pinto beans is going to make the mortgage payments.

46 minutes ago, Long Hunter SASS #20389L said:

Well I hope the owners success with selling it. None of my business or anyone else what they sell it for. They've always had my back and I'll always have theirs. I dug most of the holes with my tractor for the split rail fence and the loading/unloading tables. Have a lot of good memories with Hipshot, Chisler and Coyote Calhoun at the start of Founders Ranch. The owners of the ranch built a game we can all enjoy or complain about. My choice, the glass is half full, not empty. If there was a way to turn the clock back, I would do it all again. And dang it, I miss my friend Coyote Calhoun. 

SASS is in good hands with Misty and she also has my full support.

Hugs, JF

I was remembering a work weekend the other day. I was headed up to the barn in a golf cart for some tools, and all the sudden, there was a red ATV beside me, with this crazy man singing " Starry, Starry Night"...

Coyote and I sang it all the way to the barn.:wub:

7 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Chisler has been gone at least 10 years.  I heard he went off to play in mounted shooting and I never heard from him again.  

The problem is, the property was set up for a specific use, which apparently wasn't profitable.  It's not like a completing Cowboy Action Shooting Organization is going to buy it.  I don't think farming dry pinto beans is going to make the mortgage payments.

Several bean farmers in the Estancia Valley would dissagree with you.;)

Chisler was the spearhead for the growth of SASS. If you don't know what exactly went on, please don't repeat unfounded rumors. He had SASS #2's respect to the end. Maybe it's best to leave the sleeping dog lie. There's no reason to say anything negative about anyone that built SASS. Maybe a little bit of respect would be more appropriate.

3 minutes ago, Long Hunter SASS #20389L said:

Chisler was the spearhead for the growth of SASS. If you don't know what exactly went on, please don't repeat unfounded rumors. He had SASS #2's respect to the end. Maybe it's best to leave the sleeping dog lie. There's no reason to say anything negative about anyone that built SASS. Maybe a little bit of respect would be more appropriate.

There are some folks that know a LOT more than me...for sure!

But being around The Coto Cowboy's club was a lesson in many things.

Respect...I'm with you on that! I respect The Judge, Tex, Hip Shot, Wild Shot and many others that were instrumental in the start and development of CAS. 

And I respect you too;)

Phantom

11 hours ago, Long Hunter SASS #20389L said:

I certainly agree.

Archived