SASS Wire Forum

Trouble with pedersoli set trigger

Miles

Howdy,

I am the unfortunate owner of a Pedersoli Rolling Block rifle with a set (double) trigger.  I have about 40 rounds through this brand new rifle and am on my fifth snag.  Most have been just poor quality and workmanship which kinda surprised me after all the good things I'd heard about the company before I bought mine.  But the trouble started even before I ever shot a round.

This time it's the trigger,  It is a set trigger so I pull the rear trigger which takes pressure off of the front trigger then pull the front trigger to fire the rifle.  Yesterday I lined up on target, pulled the set trigger then pulled the front trigger - No bang.  I thought I had a misfire, but the hammer only moved halfway to the firing pin.  I re-cocked and tried again, same thing.  I fired a few rounds just using the front trigger but the pull is quite heavy and I wasn't having a fun time so I left it for the day.

I took the hammer and breech block out of the rifle but couldn't see anything unusual.  I then took the trigger assembly out of the rifle and still couldn't see anything broken or out of place.  I then decided to tap a couple of the pins in the assembly back into place when a small screw fell out of the trigger assembly.  I looked as best I could but couldn't find anywhere in the trigger assembly the screw could have come from.  The screw is a tiney thing about 1/4" long and only 0.0765" in diameter.  Anyone have an Idea where in the trigger assembly this screw could have come from?

Thank You,

WIN_20220329_12_56_44_Pro.jpg

set trigger 001.jpg

set trigger 002.jpg

set trigger 003.jpg

There is a hole right behind the trigger guard. There should be an adjustment screw there.

Here is a link to the manual.  Note that it covers all Pedersoli cartridge guns so be sure you have the correct section.

It could be #1 or #5. #5 screws in from the side but I don't know which side and not all rifles have screw #5 installed.

https://taylorsfirearms.com/media/site/pedersoli_cartridge_gun_manual.pdf

It sort of sounds like the "fly" in the tumbler (#19) is stuck or was attached to the tumbler with the screw you found. I don't know for sure about rollers, but normally set triggers work because the is this small item in the tumbler that swivels to allow the sear to ride over the half cock notch when the set trigger is used. It sounds like your sear is dropping into the half cock. Look around inside the gun or on the hammer (and on the floor) to see if the "fly" has come adrift. Normally they look like a small triangle that sits right by the half cock notch.

Thank you kindly for the responses.

I couldn't quite make out anything from the first group of images.   It's not 36, although there wasn't a screw in there when the rifle was delivered,  just as there is no rear adjusting screw.  The screws that were in Silhouette  sight mounting screw holes are the same as the trigger adjusting screws.  Those screw are huge compared to the screw I found.  Unfortunately someone at the factory put a screw into one of the holes that was of a different thread than the hole and the screw was ruined.  Took me over an hour to get it out.  I put the other screw into the front trigger adjusting screw hole so could adjust the amount of travel of the front trigger.  I've asked Pedersoli and their  Canadian sales agent for another screw but was told it isn't needed.  I'll find one and install it as the rear set trigger is a bear to pull.  I also asked for a new forestock as the one on my rifle has the mounting screw hole drilled in the wrong place and the forestock is loose.  The metal filings in the forestock mounting nut made it impossible to tighten, the metal filings in the trigger assembly were difficult to clean out as well.

Reverend P. Babcock Chase,  Thank you,  you found the problem.  I didn't think about looking at the hammer for a missing screw.  If the "fly" #19 is that little piece of metal that pivots on a tiny screw the same as the one I found, #15.  The fly can pivot one way and the opposite, there are two small screws that limit the travel of the "fly", one of those travel limit screws is the one I found in the trigger assembly,  the other two screws were loose as well.

I don't like the idea of using loc-tite in there but assuming the screws were tight when the gun left the factory,  I'm not too convinced they were,  and they loosened off after 40 rounds I'll have to put something on  to keep them tight. 

I can't believe the lack of quality control shown by Pedersoli.  The Canadian agent asked me to sent the rifle back so they could look at it, but it cost me $130 for shipping and they made no offer to pay that.  I told them if I was going to ship the rifle back I'd want a full refund.  I've had no further response from them or Pedersoli.

But I've a working rifle once again, thank you all for your help.

I TOO, have had issuses with locktite on small screws.  Borrow some nail polish from the other half or find some young cutie at the make up counter.  Works good for fixes but no so permanent      GW

Archived