SASS Wire Forum

Smith 544

ORNERY OAF

Gang,

I got a very nice S&W 544 Texas wagon train commerative in 44-40....I been reloading 44-40 forever and most of the modern guns will do 429 bullet. Does anyone know for sure that the smith 544 will do 429 instead of 427???

Wow! What I cool revolver. I never knew these existed. :)

Thanks for posting I learned something today…and now have a very strange hankering…

Anyway, we can’t post links from other forums here, but we can post searches that have links to other forums. So, click on this link and scroll down to a post from Cast Boolits and gboreloaded.com

It appears .429 did just fine for others. 

SEARCH WORDS: s&w 544 texas wagon train bore diameter

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=s%26w 544 texas wagon train bore diameter&ia=web

59 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I never knew these existed. :)

Thanks for posting I learned something today…and now have a very strange hankering…

They ARE sweet. Nodding.gif.77cb254735596f4961d44118e0fc5467.gif

1513372821_544TWT44WCF5inch.jpg.59dc20eaddbfba021e58f0322a306977.jpg

I see one for sale, on-line, from time to time. Saw one recently, as a matter of fact. 

I seem to remember they came out in 1986, during the Texas Sesquicentennial. They organized a group of covered, and other types of wagons, that drove all over Texas to celebrate the event, and seems like Smith & Wesson put out this commemorative revolver to celebrate it. 

It has markings/dates, on the revolver, to acknowledge the celebration...1836-1986, with the state engraved on right side of the frame.

I did not purchase the revolver, but purchased a Resistol straw cowboy hat, that came in a commemorative box. 

It was really nice that they chambered the revolver in .44 w.c.f..

It was, obviously, a limited-edition revolver, so they are not all that cheap to purchase.   

I took the picture on my scanner. That's undoubtedly why the picture looks funky.

Yes, it is simply Smith and Wesson's high polish blue.

They were only made one year - 1986.

Pat,

I read all those comments on the s and w forums...and I guess they do use 429 ...very nice!!! No idea why they were bashing the gun...far as I'm concerned,  it's beautiful and shoots a tried and true cartridge...bashing the 44-40? I'm not sure some of those yahoo's know ballistics, history or how that caliber has planted more men than they can count. I love it. It's going in a beautiful leather holster and will be on my hip!!!

22 minutes ago, ORNERY OAF said:

Pat,

I read all those comments on the s and w forums...and I guess they do use 429 ...very nice!!! No idea why they were bashing the gun...far as I'm concerned,  it's beautiful and shoots a tried and true cartridge...bashing the 44-40? I'm not sure some of those yahoo's know ballistics, history or how that caliber has planted more men than they can count. I love it. It's going in a beautiful leather holster and will be on my hip!!!

More than likely those guys didn't have a clue. It often amazes me when "Know-It-Alls" with all their vast experience from reading gun mags make silly comments and no one takes them to task.

You have a very cool gun there. I like it.

I got mine a couple of years ago.Haven't shot it much but using .428.Also from someone on the wire here I got a Buckle & a pen knife from the same year.

All is together.I believe I use speed loaders for a S&W Gov 45.

Largo

I saw an article in some gun rag. This guy decided that he wanted Smith & Wesson hand ejectors in all the cowboy calibers. So he got a 25 in 45 Colt, and a 544, and an M&P from the 30s in 32/20. Had a 28 converted to 38/40.

That just sounded so cool. I already had the 32. Found a 28 at an auction site and send it off for conversion. The 45 would not be a problem because they were still making them. So I went looking for the 44.

Found a guy that had one. He was willing to sell it. For $500. I told him that I would not pay more than $400 for a Smith & Wesson hand ejector, of any type. And we went back and forth for about 6 months. And then the new Blue book showed up. And it said andTHAT in 100% condition that gun was worth $400. The next day he said he would sell it to me for $300. You could hear the sonic boom when my hand went into my pocket.

Those were the grips that were on it when I bought it. I was quite surprised when I saw a picture of what was supposed to be on it. I like these much better.

No idea why he dropped the price $200, but I'm sure glad he did. Have not found a damn 45 though.

This happened in, I think, 2005.

Prices have gone up a little bit in the last 17 years.

I have never seen this particular revolver before nor knew it even existed. Thank you for the post and the thread as now I've discovered something else I must have. Must. Have. :D

Not many people know about it.I didn't until I got mine.Maybe I will bring it with me.

Largo

Archived