SASS Wire Forum

Time

Utah Bob #35998

Remember when your body was a fortress?

Remember when you laughed at common colds?
Remember when you thought you’d live forever?
Remember when  you laughed at growing old?

Well I can tell you, time don’t play no favorites
He tends to lay just waiting in the wings
And when you think you’ve beat the laws of nature
He’ll jump right up and quickly clip your wings

Your joints will creak and crack with cruel betrayal
Your hair alas will lose it’s youthful luster
Your eyesight that was keen will need some cheaters
Cause you ain’t getting any younger Buster

It’s funny how all the dadgum wisdom
Come just a little late for you to use
“If only I had known”, we say too often
“This fine body I would not have abused”

And so it seems we all must pay the Piper
And just accept the wages that are due
I say, “ Well, all things being now considered”
“I had a good time. Hope you had one too”.

9764DE7A-8844-4719-A0FD-281299E997C3.jpeg

With the exception of a couple of youthful cruelties which I'd take back if I could, and cheapshot injuries I got hit with in tournament I'd as soon have missed, I'd do it all over again just the same, even knowing the price to be paid later in old age.

Most of the time, when one of those sharp pains from an old injury suddenly stabs into my consciousness, I curse quietly and then chuckle, remembering what I was doing when the original injury occurred!

In all but a couple of cases, I was having a great time, likely doing something risky or worse!

It's easy to say, "If I'd know then what I know now, I'd have done things differently."

If could have done that, things would have turned out differently, and I'd have missed out on some pretty awesome things. There were some rough spots to be sure, but some of those led to blessings I wouldn't otherwise have had. (See my favorite quote at the bottom of all my posts.)

"It ain't the years, it's the mileage." Boy, is that the truth.

I have earned my aches and pains through hard work and adventure. As long as Ibuprofen continues to work it’s magic I will be fine. ;)

Posted this in the wrong place due to carelessness and title of another thread.  This has been an amazing life changing experience.  Sometimes you have to share good stuff, even if ya' aren't a true believer.

Anyone who is doing the over the counter pain pill thing ( I was taking 1500 MG of Ibuprofen a day) wearing knee supports, and not doing a lot.  Based on a couple of gifts from my kids, I am pretty much pain free, no knee supports - if I overdo, the occasional pill.  No guarantee, I have no involvement with either company, and as a physicians son was no true believer in alternative treatments.  PM Me, I'll share the info and you can research it.  Those gifts are the only reason I'm back thinking about shooting some matches.

Another thing that passes with time is that sense of being in the center of events, so to speak. When you're in your prime, broadly 35-55, you think what you and your peers are doing is of paramount importance; if you are active in your community, you're on boards and committees and in the thick of things, likewise in your occupation or profession.

Then very gradually, you move to the sidelines. Another generation has the same feeling, as did the ones before. You watch them with a smile from the edges of the room, as you were watched by the old-timers back then....

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Another thing that passes with time is that sense of being in the center of events, so to speak. When you're in your prime, broadly 35-55, you think what you and your peers are doing is of paramount importance; if you are active in your community, you're on boards and committees and in the thick of things, likewise in your occupation or profession.

Then very gradually, you move to the sidelines. Another generation has the same feeling, as did the ones before. You watch them with a smile from the edges of the room, as you were watched by the old-timers back then....

At almost 69, I’m still at the center of my event. I don’t know what that is yet, but I’m still looking for ideas. ^_^

Time is my friend
Time is my enemy
Time I embrace
Time I loath

Time passes
Time comes
Time goes
Time I can't escape

Time is the beginning
Time is the end
Time is the source
Time is running

Away....   GUITAR SOLO

Holy cow.  I need to keep that as a song for my band.  You are all witness to a new song written in a a couple of minutes.  The muse hits again....  Thank you for the inspiration.

On topic, I've broken a LOT of bones.  I've made a LOT of mistakes.  I've hurt some good people.  Some of it I wish I could redo.  But by and large, it's been a heck of a journey.

11 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Time is my friend
Time is my enemy
Time I embrace
Time I loath

Time passes
Time comes
Time goes
Time I can't escape

Time is the beginning
Time is the end
Time is the source
Time is running

Away....   GUITAR SOLO

Holy cow.  I need to keep that as a song for my band.  You are all witness to a new song written in a a couple of minutes.  The muse hits again....  Thank you for the inspiration.

On topic, I've broken a LOT of bones.  I've made a LOT of mistakes.  I've hurt some good people.  Some of it I wish I could redo.  But by and large, it's been a heck of a journey.

Well done. Yours is rock. Mine is more country. ;) :D

I so clearly remember an old bloke telling me in the '70s enjoy every day as life goes so fast and I distinctly remember thinking to myself something along the lines of "What would this ol' fart know" besides being so incredibly rude and immature to think that to myself...... that old fart knew a lot and I think of him often when my body aches and smarts.

Archived