SASS Wire Forum

Where to sell M1 and M1 Carbine

Mezcal Charlie

I’ve had good luck and experiences buying and selling here on SASSNET because the community is one that values the old ways. Word as your bond etc. In fact, I’m trading with a member even up today he’s mailing his and I’m mailing mine and I would never do that elsewhere. So clearly I’m happy. 
Here’s my  question: where is a good place to sell my WWII guns. I’ve used GunBroker but am not completely happy with all the things going on there. So help!

BTW I’m selling because CAS is more fun than anything else I could do and want to fund my hobby. 

A few guys here might like those.  Put them up for sale here first. Ya never know.

3 minutes ago, Mezcal Charlie said:

I’ve had good luck and experiences buying and selling here on SASSNET because the community is one that values the old ways. Word as your bond etc. In fact, I’m trading with a member even up today he’s mailing his and I’m mailing mine and I would never do that elsewhere. So clearly I’m happy. 
Here’s my  question: where is a good place to sell my WWII guns. I’ve used GunBroker but am not completely happy with all the things going on there. So help!

BTW I’m selling because CAS is more fun than anything else I could do and want to fund my hobby. 

Take the time to check prices online - stuff is crazy high and these are popular!

Yes. I am actually on the high end but my guns are “ correct” meaning all the parts are the parts that it had coming off the line. I love the firearms but this Cowboy Action is just too much fun and the people are good folk worth knowing. 

2 minutes ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Amost all my experiences here have been good.

But there are creeps, even here! I’ve been burned.

Caution never hurts.

I look at if they are SASS and that they didn’t join today but you are right that caution is always good. 

21 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Yeah, I got rid of a pair of Krags and WWI to get into SASS gear the first time around.  A good ride, but wish I'd gone a little slower.  Unaffordable to replace any of them with equal quality in today's market'

We’ll I’m pretty much done on the M1 due to arthritis. Not a gun to slip up with when loading. And I’m close enough to the final roundup to not miss em. And my son likes black guns and Glocks so he won’t miss em. I’ll use the money to travel to some other shoots and such. 

That's a good question. Where to sell something.

I have tried gun shows. There can be a lot of interest. In today's market, you may get a great price for them. But have in mind what you want for them, and don't compromise on that. Only take cash, never a check. Have them show you their driver's license, so you can kinda see they may not have anything to hide. If they refuse, just say you can't sell it to someone you don't trust. That also makes sure they are of age to purchase what you have to offer, unless they look two days older than dirt.

I sold eleven firearms, last year. I took them to my local dealer, and he sold them on-line, did all the mule-work/paper-work/shipping, and took a tiny percent of what he got for the firearms. They went fast, even the one I considered a "saltwater boat anchor". Heck, he even bought three of them for his own collection!  

If you sell them, yourself, on-line, you have a lot to mess with.

The site takes a cut of your money, you have to wait for the money/money-order/cashier's check, to come in, plus a copy of their F.F.L. license, plus you have to determine if they live in a state, or city, that allows them to have this firearm...or, if you are equipped to do so, you can take a credit card. But remember the credit card folks get a percentage too. That's why you see credit card fees of say 3 to 4 percent, or more, tacked on your purchase price. 

I think I would either go to a gun show...or, a S.A.S.S. event...or, go to a gun shop that will do all the mule-work for you. 

20 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

That's a good question. Where to sell something.

I have tried gun shows. There can be a lot of interest. In today's market, you may get a great price for them. But have in mind what you want for them, and don't compromise on that. Only take cash, never a check. Have them show you their driver's license, so you can kinda see they may not have anything to hide. If they refuse, just say you can't sell it to someone you don't trust. That also makes sure they are of age to purchase what you have to offer, unless they look two days older than dirt.

I sold eleven firearms, last year. I took them to my local dealer, and he sold them on-line, did all the mule-work/paper-work/shipping, and took a tiny percent of what he got for the firearms. They went fast, even the one I considered a "saltwater boat anchor". Heck, he even bought three of them for his own collection!  

If you sell them, yourself, on-line, you have a lot to mess with.

The site takes a cut of your money, you have to wait for the money/money-order/cashier's check, to come in, plus a copy of their F.F.L. license, plus you have to determine if they live in a state, or city, that allows them to have this firearm...or, if you are equipped to do so, you can take a credit card. But remember the credit card folks get a percentage too. That's why you see credit card fees of say 3 to 4 percent, or more, tacked on your purchase price. 

I think I would either go to a gun show...or, a S.A.S.S. event...or, go to a gun shop that will do all the mule-work for you. 

Good advice and I may end up at a gun show. 

On 3/29/2022 at 12:16 PM, Mezcal Charlie said:

I’ve used GunBroker but am not completely happy with all the things going on there.

What are you unhappy with?  If it's the sales tax thing Gunbroker assists you with calculating that based on the buyer's state sales tax.  The sales tax is then added on top of the final auction fee and you the seller only end up paying the listing/auction fees.   

Not GunBroker per say. I’ve sold some there. But there have been some knuckleheads who bid but don’t buy or want to haggle off gun broker to cheat GunBroker out of their fees etc. 

Selling here is like a local family owned business, they are like Walmart. And I’m not knocking Walmart but just look for the people of Walmart online and you’ll understand. 

If you know what they are worth or at least know what you would be happy with you might try listing here in the classifieds first.  The SASS wire classifieds get fairly low traffic compared to other places like gunbroker, but if you prefer dealing with SASS folks than that is what I would do.

14 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

I'd love an m1 but they're out of my budget at the moment. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to list them here first. I'm sure there's people that would be interested and have money.

If it’s SASS or old west I would do trades

Selling via GB would bring the most money...they're long guns so pretty easy to deal with shipping wise.

If you think that selling them via this forum is going to be nothing but roses, you're mistaken.

The whole thing about fees and GB collecting Sales Tax (they have to being a Market Facilitator...don't like it, talk to your State Reps), is silly. If you format your ad correctly you'll get top Market Value. Go to a gun show and you'll probably not get that.

Or...you can sell them to me. I buy any and all Firearms and Militaria... :)

Phantom

Sold! But then you may want to pay me a little less, right?  Actually I am planning to go to a gun show end of April if these don’t sell here or GB for what I want. Depending on the crowd I think I’ll get my asking $. Oddly, I could have and probably should have sold most of my guns a year or more ago but I hadn’t started CAS and I’ve really enjoyed it and probably went overboard on my cowboy stuff but hey the difference between men and boys right?

Archived