SASS Wire Forum

My take on some stuff

Tennessee williams

6 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Disagree Griff..There aint no penalty for nearly...we know  the rules....enforce when broken , maybe new shooters at a monthly when starting Cowboy  can be cut a little slack with a tap on the shoulder otherwise  say nothing..JMHO

If a shooter is swinging their muzzle to 165º, or is it 166...7...8...9?  I'm sorry, I don't have a built-in protractor... tellin' the difference between 165º or 170º ain't in my wheel-house... do that while I'm the TO, you'll probably encounter my hand up there to stop any further swing... If I'm a spotter or even just spectating at that point, you'll probably have it mentioned to you... I'll error on the side of safety and NO PENALTY.  I ain't saying to apply a penalty when one hasn't earned... I'm saying there ain't anything saying you shouldn't offer a friendly warning to a shooter when they're in danger of violation.  Applying the ROIII rules to everything else is what makes good sportsmanship.  And a safe range.

Watch the Gun – As a TO, to make exact calls and anticipate the shooter’s next move, watch the gun! By looking at the gun, you can identify target engagement, squib loads, warn the shooter if he or she is getting close to breaking the 170°, and stop the shooter if there is a problem.

RO1 p.9

“Muzzle!” This command quickly and efficiently warns the shooter their muzzle is getting close to the 170° limit and should be pointed in a safe direction (back down range).

RO1 p.23

I think maybe Griff and Mohawk were talking about 2 different things and they didn't know it but I could be wrong. 

I think Griff was talking about while the shooter was engaging the stage. 

I think Mohawk was talking about not doing it after the fact. 

I've been wrong before though!

6 hours ago, Griff said:

If a shooter is swinging their muzzle to 165º, or is it 166...7...8...9?  I'm sorry, I don't have a built-in protractor... tellin' the difference between 165º or 170º ain't in my wheel-house... do that while I'm the TO, you'll probably encounter my hand up there to stop any further swing... If I'm a spotter or even just spectating at that point, you'll probably have it mentioned to you... I'll error on the side of safety and NO PENALTY.  I ain't saying to apply a penalty when one hasn't earned... I'm saying there ain't anything saying you shouldn't offer a friendly warning to a shooter when they're in danger of violation.  Applying the ROIII rules to everything else is what makes good sportsmanship.  And a safe range.

Yep no problem with that..I'm sayin don't come up to me after the stage has been shot & say 'hey you know you nearly broke the 170...

Archived