SASS Wire Forum

Question - How does it feel?

Joe LaFives #5481

Hey Larson, years ago match director Mudflat Mike up in WA. did that at a monthly match.  Every shooter got a big blue ribbon, like the ones at a 4H event, that said WINNER on it.  They were passed out to each shooter before their first stage. 

Everyone had a fun day. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

mn state has given away participation awards. everybody that shoots gets one.  some thought it was great at first, mostly those that never received anything before.  the general feel after a year or two has been the opposite. those new to the sport love getting something, however most seasoned feel its a joke. the shooter numbers even before covid were drastically falling.   ya might as well throw the buckle in the shooters package as they sign in.   

Gunsmoke, the regional did that last year. Literally everyone in every category place got an award at the ceremony. Some actually receiving 25th place awards???    Please reduce these crazy award budgets and lower match fees.  They keep going up and up for annual, state and above.  It's over $200 just for entry fees for wife and I  now for almost every shoot at that level, all driven by crazy demands for buckles at every match and over the top awards to many levels.

Could not care less about awards, will never get one in Main Match.  Do think it is rediculous to award more than 2 Buckles in categories with 5 or less participants.  5 probably should be the minimum for ladies and 10 for open categories no more than 40% buckle with max of 10 awarded in a category where 40% exceeds 10 awards

On 4/1/2022 at 4:13 PM, Toranado, SASS # 58447 said:

Gunsmoke, the regional did that last year. Literally everyone in every category place got an award at the ceremony. Some actually receiving 25th place awards???    Please reduce these crazy award budgets and lower match fees.  They keep going up and up for annual, state and above.  It's over $200 just for entry fees for wife and I  now for almost every shoot at that level, all driven by crazy demands for buckles at every match and over the top awards to many levels.

if your talking about gunsmoke in mn they did not and never have given everyone an award. i was on the board for years, and even since ive been off i have been helping put on the match. but yes it is crazy to see categories 25 deep placing

We go to have fun. Wife always checks to see if she is in last place and apologizes if she isn't. I try to shoot a clean match no matter how long it takes. It is just fun to go meet new people wherever. 

Archived