SASS Wire Forum

Well, that’s new…

No. Smith was out of line. 

Soap opera in attempt to boost ratings? :D

Did he actually strike Chris Rock or was it a John Ford/John Wayne hit, where the camera angle makes it appear there was actual contact, and some sound effects were used to make the sound?  As the camera angle was from behind Smith, that is possible. :unsure:

My money is on that it's a publicity stunt to boost Chris Rock's ratings and recognition. He has been out of the media spotlight for a while.

Within 3 months he'll have movie contracts and a sitcom in the works.

Rock looked pretty shook up BUT that IS a room full of actors.

I'm thinking Smith did slap Rock good.

Either way, I'm betting  the YT video of said slap has already seen a zillion more viewers than the actual award event did. ^_^

I do not watch the Oscars but record it and fast forward to the In Memorian segment.  I read about the slap on one of the news websites I read so when that part came up as I was fast forwarding I watched it.  A goodly portion of the sound track was deleted.  Even on "Live" shows there is a transmission delay so objectionable material can be deleted or blocked.  Right after the slap ths sound went out.  I watched the slap and follow-up on the Internet.  Smith went ballistic and used the "F" word several times.  Rather than getting arrested he received congrats and sympathy from several of his buds.  Different rules for Hollywood liberals.

Watch the video all staged slowed down  . In Leftist Hollywierd if that was  real , Smith would have been stripped of his Oscar .  Its to bolster his ego after the crying like a baby scene .  

Face it ratings are way down no one cares what they wear  We need attention  

So that's where this meme came from? Because I was thinking the back of the head of the guy in the front looked like Will Smith, but I had no idea who the guy in the back is, and even less idea what was going on.

image.thumb.png.2940d69ffcb876802045d984064f35c7.png.f215dc201d119df846732bec716e233f.png

While Will Smith probably shouldn't have smacked Chris Rock, Rock's joke about Jada Pinkett-Smith's alopecia which is a medical condition that will eventually result in complete  baldness, was at best, in remarkably bad taste and at worst cruel.

Since Chris Rock is an obnoxious, arrogant, Hollywood liberal who is rarely funny, my sympathy meter didn't even twitch.

3 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Read in the news this morning that Will Smith slapped Chris Rock hard on stage during last night’s Oscar show. From what very little I know, CR may have had it coming. 

Could be a new award show coming, “Oscars Smackdown”?

CR was making a joke about WS wife's hairloss issues (I only see a shaved head, not Alopecia as claimed)

Both acted in juvinile behavoir.

24 minutes ago, Chantry said:

While Will Smith probably shouldn't have smacked Chris Rock, Rock's joke about Jada Pinkett-Smith's alopecia which is a medical condition that will eventually result in complete  baldness, was at best, in remarkably bad taste and worst cruel.

Since Chris Rock is an obnoxious, arrogant, Hollywood liberal who is rarely funny, my sympathy meter didn't even twitch.

I have to correct you.

Alapecia has many levels...and not all lead to complete loss of hair.

It is rare for the latter.

Majority will find small patches of balding spots...varied areas, ect.

I just read this. 
What does Chris Rock have on his cheek this morning?

Fresh prints. :lol:

Smith, in my opinion, had every right to smack him in the mouth -once. Anything more would have been improper. He earned it.

26 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Smith, in my opinion, had every right to smack him in the mouth -once. Anything more would have been improper. He earned it.

Agree. Perhaps not in front of how many witnesses though? Millions? Although it did make good theater. ;)

In the days of my youth, if a comedian made a vicious and vulgar public attack on a man's wife, he would have lost his teeth.
And Kathy Griffin would have been run out on a rail.

I figure Rock's mouth wrote a check that his body had to cash.

I say Smith was way out of line.  Rock did not attack Jada and the joke did not appear to have any malicious intent.  Smith, himself, was seen laughing at the joke before he saw his wife's reaction.  Most of us here complain about "snowflakes" having thin skin.  I think this is the same thing.  Hate him, curse him, bad mouth Rock all you want for telling an insensitive joke.  Physically attacking him is an over reaction.

Just curious, what would be the general reaction if Rock had reacted by punching Smith in the nose?  I would call that a reasonable reaction to the slap.  Does anyone here disagree?  If so, what would you do if someone walked up and slapped you in the face?

A slap in the face has gotten EVERYONE talking.  Imagine if it had deteriorated into an all out brawl with the two of them rolling around on the stage punching and kicking each other.

Poor Don Rickles would have been a blood smear on the stage if people behaved this way back in his day.

They're both jerks and they were both wrong! I never liked either one.

I just wished Rock would have slapped Smith back! Talk about entertainment!:lol:

facebook_1648586395416_6914672512639958173_118207677583707.thumb.jpg.16d7693b119d04437f91efa0ffdbaf1d.jpg

On 3/28/2022 at 9:56 AM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

No. Smith was out of line. 

I respectfully disagree Sir. While he handled the situation poorly, i feel he was provoked by CR making a joke referencing his wife's medical condition. Yes, he was exercising his 1st amendment rights, but as Jeff Goldblum 'pined in Jurassic Part, “YEAH, BUT YOUR SCIENTISTS WERE SO PREOCCUPIED WITH WHETHER OR NOT THEY COULD THAT THEY DIDN’T STOP TO THINK IF THEY SHOULD.”  

Just IMHO, your mileage may vary.

....... so basically this "ceremony" is actors giving awards to actors for acting, all voted for by actors ........ ?right? :huh:

........... and actors make a living by pretending to be somebody else ....... ?right?  :huh:

......... I appear to be missing something about the significance of these, and similar, awards .......   :mellow:

(it almost sounds like getting the police to investigate the ................ police  :unsure:)

On 3/28/2022 at 7:26 PM, Dantankerous said:

Agree. Perhaps not in front of how many witnesses though? Millions? Although it did make good theater. ;)

The insult was made in front of millions, too, so why would you not want the same people to witness the results? 

It was handled immediately and with restraint- since Rock kept all of his teeth and there was not Redneck CPR involved (that where you get them down on the ground and stomp on their chest while yelling, "Get up or you'll die!"). 

Then again, there's never been much to Rock other than mouth, so one pimp slap should be enough to get him back into line.

This relatively minor incident is getting  blown WAY out of proportion by the MSM and some of the people at the Oscars.

Two of those hosts, rather unfunny comediennes, are "triggered" and "traumatized" and felt "physically ill".

There are a lot worse things happening in this country and the world to get upset over than Will Smith slapping Chris Rock.

Indeed.
Ukraine is getting pulverized into atoms, Putin is an unrestrained nuclear power, China is backing him up, and the world is obsessed with sleazy Hollywood antics.

Whether any of us like it or not, or whether we thought it was appropriate or not, Will apparently thought that Chris was PUBLICLY

making fun of his wife with a joke that involved her medical condition.

Therefore.......... SMACK TIME.

Saturday Night Live will have improved ratings for the next 6 months with a Will-Chris skit.

..........Widder

Smith's wife has some sort of medical condition that apparently makes her hair fall out, so instead of having patchy head, she shaved her head.

Rock made a joke about it - a tacky joke - and Smith hit him.

Many people think that he overreacted.

But let's suppose that instead of whatever her condition is, she had cancer, and chemo made her hair fall out. And Rock made the same joke. And Smith hit him.

Would he still have overreacted?

Because as I see it, that would be the same thing.

Somebody - I don't know if it was on this thread or on another board, because every board I go to there's a thread about this Oscar incident - compared what Rock said to Don Rickles. But I don't think Rickles made fun of people's medical conditions. If the actress that was in the first Star Trek movie - the one with the shaved head - was there and he made that same joke, that would have been funny. Well, funnyish. Because the shaved head was her choice. A fashion choice. I can see Rickles making fun of that. But not a medical condition.

If it was my wife, I would not have slapped him. I would have punched him in the face, kicked him in the balls, and then when he went to the floor started working on his ribs.

But then, I tend to be protective of my family.

Archived