SASS Wire Forum

Do I WTB 12ga snap caps?

Worst Case Scenario

Just got my SxS and wondered if buying 6 or so snap caps would allow me to practice unloading/reloading at home. Good idea?

Any recommendations on which ones mimic weight/feel of the real thing?

Whatcha think?

Do you want to practice loading or shucking?  They're full of shot and weigh more when you load 'em, obviously.  I use completely empty crimped and closed hulls, no primer (so everyone can clearly see that they are dummies when they are in the belt).  The weight matters much less to me when grabbing from my shell belt, but I want to make sure I'm shucking with sufficient motion and while keeping the barrel within the 170-degree limit.  As TO/RO, I often have to warn shooters that they are breaking the 170 rule when shucking their SXS guns, usually by pointing the barrels straight up or even slightly past vertical.  Shucking is done by pulling backwards, not by pointing the gun up in the sky and pulling down.

I originally made my own but they didn’t hold up well to all the handling and hitting the floor - I eventually got these from Amazon - I also liked that they look nothing like an actual live round

https://www.amazon.com/Action-Pro-Shotgun-Trainer-Cartridge/dp/B00RG6RJ32/ref=sr_1_18?crid=1WJCNJKX9DK64&keywords=Shotgun+snap+caps&qid=1648476225&sprefix=shotgun+snap+caps%2Caps%2C112&sr=8-18

You can also use pencil erasers in the primer location. This allows you to replace them as needed. Use sawdust or sand as powder with normal wad and shot. One important part though...purchase a tube of Plumbers Goop in the purple tube. Use it to seal the crimped end of the shell. Stand the shell on end, add the Goop so that it barely is over the top rim, it will "absorb" into the shell and seal it. By doing this, it keeps the shot from coming out after multiple uses. Also, only practice where the shucked/jacked shells will land on a padded area like carpet or padding.

I believe this came from Grizz a while back.  To fill the primer hole, chuck a piece of hot glue stick in your drill press and push the hull onto it while it's spinning. Trim off excess. Works well.

I bought four factory snap caps so I could practice. I do not feel like they replicate a real-life feel. Yes, they are close to the real thing if the shells are loaded, but they do not replicate an empty hull, so shucking them is easy and not realistic. Since there is no expanding of the hull and crimp, they just fall out. They also create a hazard to tile floors and bare feet when shucked, painfully so.

I tried making some yesterday by putting 38 bullets in the hull and topping it off with hot glue.  Unfortunately I packed them too tight and the hulls won't fit in the chambers, so I'm going to try something else.  I may just do one bullet per hull now that Cholla has mentioned that, because shucking a heavier hull isn't realistic compared to an empty one with just a spent primer in it.

Seems to me there are two practice situations: The first, loading and dry firing which should be done with snapcaps (bought or built) that cushion the hammer fall.  The second, situation, shucking the empties can best be done using empty shells which are free.  The second stage practice would be easier on those who care to practice barefoot or on hard surfaces.

If you’re using them for a SxS then you should consider making up simulated loaded hulls.  The key is to try to get the feel as close to possible of your actual shell, so length and weight should be close.  I wouldn’t use a spent primer though you’ll want something that will absorb the impact of the firing pins.  If you have a FASTENAL or a McMasters and Carr near you  you can get 5.5mm diameter Burna-N o-ring stock, preferably the harder 90 durometer.  Place a piece in the primer pocket, a little rubber cement, trim to fit, good to go.  For shucking practice just take some of the shells you’ve already shot. 

6 hours ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

As TO/RO, I often have to warn shooters that they are breaking the 170 rule when shucking their SXS guns, usually by pointing the barrels straight up or even slightly past vertical.  Shucking is done by pulling backwards, not by pointing the gun up in the sky and pulling down.

Great point. Another comes when folks don't give themselves enough room.

Pay the shipping (small USPS flat rate box) and I'll send you 6 or if you prefer 8.  They are about the same weight as a AA or STS empty hull.

Primer pocket is filled with an O-ring that will hold up to more dry fire practice than you can stand.

The interior is filled with an extremely light weight material that will allow the hull to maintain its shape.

They will either be Hot Pink or Orange in color so you can visually tell them from most live rounds.

9 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

Look at these from  Brownell’s73B7A761-6ED9-496E-8566-322FA236BFA6.thumb.png.b2cde17e4ce4bbb75f9eeb0d27e5aee6.png

How do they compare in weight to an empty AA or STS hull?  Practicing with a SXS using hulls that are heavier than empties will cause a shooter to develop poor shucking habits.

Archived