SASS Wire Forum

This day in history

Utah Bob #35998

"By spring 1942, the British had survived the Battle of Britain and opened a second front in North Africa but still faced a desperate situation."

If the British had a second front in 1942, wouldn't that make the invasion of Normandy in 1944 the third front?

I've just always heard of D-Day referred to as the second front.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

"By spring 1942, the British had survived the Battle of Britain and opened a second front in North Africa but still faced a desperate situation."

If the British had a second front in 1942, wouldn't that make the invasion of Normandy in 1944 the third front?

I've just always heard of D-Day referred to as the second front.

Interesting. The N. Africa/Mediterranean theater was the first front, in my mind. I don’t actually consider the Battle of Britain technically a front as such. It was an air campaign. I would consider the Mediterranean the first front (the Italian campaign was still underway in 44) and the invasion of France the second. Of course there are Major and Minor fronts in most large conflicts.

I doubt any of this was discussed UCB by Willie and Joe their foxhole though. ;)

68E25924-201F-444F-8AA2-D259A2DF14B3.jpeg

The term second front referred to the Russians desire that the Western allies invade the Continent. They did not consider either the North African or Italian campaigns significant enough to merit being considered to be a true second front. 

Seamus

17 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I prefer the Bill Mauldin cartoon of Willy and Joe, where a tank is rolling by their foxhole.  Willy says to Joe, "I'd ruther dig. A movin' foxhole attracts the eye!"  I bet Ukrainian grunts and Russian tankers would agree!

image.jpeg.ffd88d9732f052e059dc49fa4bd662d5.jpeg

Thanks!

Archived